Summary: This unbiased, in-depth review features the best baby crib mattresses our team of Sleeping Ninjas could find on the market. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
Our babies mean the world to us. From the moment we bring them home, we’re looking to provide them with the very best.
We’re automatically particular about everything involved in their care. From the way we choose to feed them, to the diapers we choose to use, to the clothes we dress them in and the tiny little blankies we swaddle them in. We want nothing but the best for our little bundles of joy. Including the best crib mattress available.
After all, babies spend around 16 hours a day asleep. They’ll be spending more time dreaming on their mattress than anything else. So you want to ensure that they’re slumbering on something safe and comfortable.
We’ve done the hard work for you right here, and compiled a list of baby crib mattress reviews, showcasing the best crib mattresses on the market with convenient “best of” categories.
The Best Baby Crib Mattresses
Here’s a list of the best baby crib mattresses reviewed below:
- Newton Wovenaire (safety)
- Nook Pebble Pure (organic)
- Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted Deluxe
- Signature Sleep Foam Mattress
- Mamaway Medical Grade Hypoallergenic Crib
The Best Crib Mattress by Category
What is the best crib mattress? Let’s take a closer look …
Newton Wovenaire – Best In Safety Crib Mattress
If you’re looking for the safest option available for your baby’s crib mattress, then the Newton Wovenaire is a perfect option.
The Wovenaire contain absolutely no foam, latex, springs, glue or allergens and is 100% recyclable to guarantee that it’s one of the safest options for your newborn AND the environment.
This mattress from Newton is 100% breathable and washable. It is constructed with a patented Wovenaire core that is 90% air covered with spacer material. It has been certified by the CPSC lab to greatly reduce the risk of suffocation and CO2 rebreathing. This means that, if your baby rolls over, they can literally breathe through this mattress!
It features a removable, breathable cover that unzips quickly and easily and is completely machine washable and safe to tumble dry. The core of the Wovenaire can also be tub washed or spot cleaned to ensure that every layer of the mattress can be thoroughly cleaned.
- The Wovenaire uses patented materials that literally allow your baby to breathe through their mattress, greatly reducing the risk of suffocation and SIDS
- All components of the mattress are 100% washable
- The mattress is GREENGUARD Gold certified against harmful, toxic chemicals and allergens
- The cover is quilted in a cloud pattern that creates soft, comfortable pockets of air
- Meets all firmness requirements for use with infants
- While all components of the mattress are completely washable, the surface itself is not waterproof, making cleanups more time consuming
- You would need to purchase an additional cover to use the mattress while washing the original
- Some off-gassing odors have been reported
The Newton Wovenaire is hands-down the safest, most breathable surface for your newborn. However, it does require a bit more work and time to keep clean.
Nook Pebble Pure – Best All-Natural Water Resistant Crib Mattress
The Nook Pebble Pure is an all-organic product constructed with natural coconut husk and 100% Talalay latex.
Each Nook Pebble Pure comes equipped with a removable, washable organic pebble wrap that is naturally water resistant due to their patented Nano-technology and is available in 11 different colors to allow you to completely customize the look of your new crib mattress and eliminate the need for any additional mattress covers or sheets.
Their products are 100% organic and all-natural and completely free of any harsh, toxic chemicals, making it one of the best crib mattresses. They use a layer of organic, natural wool to meet flammability standards and entirely avoid the use of any chemical additives.
- The Nook Pebble is a 2-in-1 mattress with a firm organic coconut core side for infants and a Talalay latex side for toddlers
- No separate purchases or products are required for your Nook mattress to perform correctly
- The pebble cover is removable and machine washable
- The mattress is breathable to provide safety and temperature control
- The latex layer does cause a noticeable odor upon opening
- The dimensions of the Nook Pebble mattress are not standard crib dimensions
- The Pebble mattress cover does not hold up well to repeated machine washes
The Nook Pebble Pure offers an organic crib mattress option that is naturally breathable and waterproof.
Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted Deluxe 225– Best Organic Crib Mattress
The Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted Deluxe is an all-natural, organic option for those looking to steer clear of any harsh chemicals or toxins that could be lurking in the average crib mattress.
Made with a quilted organic cotton cover, US grown and certified organic cotton filling, and an optional organic wool batting to help regulate temperature and provide all-natural flame-resistance, the Naturepedic has truly gone all out to provide a safe, comfortable, and all-natural sleeping surface for babies.
It provides a firm surface with a 252-coil innerspring construction and super strong 9-gauge edge support system, to help ensure that your infant is fully supported and protected no matter what corner of the mattress they manage to wiggle their way to.
The Naturepedic meets the firmness recommendations of pediatricians and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- No latex or soy materials are used in the Naturepedic mattress, as to avoid any potentially harmful allergens
- Meets the UL/GREENGUARD Gold Certification Standard for emissions
- Naturepedic uses all-natural materials to meet and exceed all flammability safety standards, avoid the use of any harsh chemical additives
- Naturepedic offers a limited lifetime warranty on all their products
- The mattress itself is not waterproof and requires a separate waterproof organic protector pad to ensure water and dust-mite protection
- The quilted cotton cover is not removable, therefore it is not washable
- This mattress is on the heavier side, weighing in at around 20-25 pounds
The Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted Deluxe is a great option for parents or grandparents looking for an all-natural, organic option if you’re willing to purchase the waterproof protective cover as well.
Signature Sleep Gel Memory Foam Crib Mattress – Best 2-in-1
The Signature Sleep Gel Memory Foam Mattress is perfect for parents looking to get as much life as possible out of their crib mattress purchase.
It is constructed with extra firm support on one side to ensure a safe and comfortable sleeping surface for infants, and a softer gel memory foam on the other side that provides an optimal sleeping surface when your child is ready to transition into a toddler bed.
The surface of the mattress is PVC-free and water resistant, wiping clean easily and quickly with little more than a cloth, making late night cleanups a breeze, and comes with a fabric cover to provide an extra level of comfort.
The Signature Sleep meets flammability standards without the use of harsh chemical additives and is CertiPUR US Foam certified.
- This mattress is lightweight, making rearrangements simple and quick
- The durable construction ensures that your crib mattress will hold up to wear and tear
- Mattress surface cleans easily and quickly to avoid any harmful bacteria or molds
- Features a removable and washable polyester cover
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Any repetitive movements, such as jumping or bouncing, will lead to indentations in the mattress
- It is recommended that the mattress be rotated every 2-3 months to ensure optimal quality
- Mattress cannot be flipped while your child is still in infancy as the softer, memory foam side is not a safe sleeping surface for babies
The Signature Sleep is a wonderful option if you’re looking for a mattress that will follow your child through their toddler years and allows for quick and easy cleanup with no liquid absorption.
Mamaway Medical Grade Hypoallergenic Crib – Best Crib Mattress For Babies With Asthma And Allergies
If your baby is prone to allergies or asthma, then the Mamaway Medical Grade Hypoallergic is the answer to your prayer.
It features a 100% cotton covering and a hypoallergenic foam insert that is made from the very same materials used in medical grade wound dressings. Their foam construction uses only purified water as an expanding agent making it naturally breathable.
It also features moisture absorbing pores to quickly and safely wick away any sweat, drool, or spilled liquid to ensure that baby stays dry and comfortable all through the night and provides superior temperature control
The high-density foam remains breathable and firm, while still molding to baby’s body to help relieve pressure and provide a comfortable, restful sleep.
The Mamaway passes toxicity tests and is completely heavy metal and propellant-free.
- The unique foam construction guarantees that the mattress will not collapse or sink with use
- Medical grade materials are dust mite resistant, hypoallergenic, and 99.9% antibacterial
- Optimal temperature control and absorption to ensure dry nights for your baby
- Outer covers can be removed and hand-washed, but the inner inserts are not washable
- Due to the unique porous surface to help wick away sweat and spills, the mattress is not waterproof
- The surface can be spot cleaned with a clean rag and water and must be air dried in the shade, away from any direct sunlight
- The mattress does yellow out after extensive use, while this is not harmful, it can be a bit unsightly
The Mamaway can potentially require quite a bit of upkeep. However, if your baby suffers from allergies or asthma, the Mamaway is constructed with some of the safest, medical grade material available.
Milliard Crib Mattress – Best Bang For Your Buck
While the Milliard Mattress isn’t quite the cheapest option we have listed, it does provide the most bang for not quite as much buck.
The Milliard features a spring-free construction, made only from a blend of high-quality foams allowing for a firm yet comfortable sleeping surface. They’re sturdy, yet soft foam is uniquely designed to never flatten out over time while mimicking a womb-like environment, allowing for optimal, comforting sleep for your baby.
The Milliard Mattress is encased in a waterproof, non-porous, hypoallergenic cover that safeguards your little sleeper against dust-mites, bacteria, mold, and allergens. This encasement is completely waterproof on the top and all sides but allows for air ventilation through the bottom.
Their foam construction is certified safe and chemical-free, and their mattress meets and/or exceeds all safety standards and certifications.
- With a medium-firm density of 28D, the mattress will never allow your infant to sink
- Parents have reported longer, uninterrupted periods of sleep when using the Milliard
- The Milliard foam is CertiPUR-US certified
- The waterproof cover is removable allowing for optimal cleaning
- The open bottom design of the waterproof cover allows for maximum airflow and temperature regulation
- The mattress will arrive in a vacuum-sealed roll and requires up to 48-hours in a warm environment to fully expand
- There will be a noticeable “fresh foam” odor that can take up to 3 days in a well-ventilated area to air out
- The removable cover is only wipeable, not washable
The Milliard is the best option for those looking for optimal qualities such as comfort, ease of cleaning, and chemical free, without breaking the bank.
Important Things To Consider When Purchasing the Best Baby Crib Mattress
Like with every purchase you’ll be making for your newborn, there are a few important things you need to consider before making your final decision. Here are criteria our Sleeping Ninjas used in this best baby crib mattress review:
The truth of the matter is, you don’t really need a lifetime warranty on the best crib mattress simply because your baby will only be using it for a handful of years before their moving on to their big kid bed. However, warranties often correlate with quality. If a company is offering a decent warranty on their product, it generally means that they stand behind their product and trust it to be durable and do its job proficiently.
So, while you clearly don’t need a 25-year warranty on your crib mattress, it’s never a bad idea to lean towards a company that at least offers a small warranty or a money back guarantee, just because it generally means the product is of a higher quality.
All of the crib mattresses sold in the US are flame-retardant or flame-resistant. It’s actually impossible to purchase a crib mattress in America that does not meet flammability standards and fire-proof laws unless you’re given a specific prescription from a physician. However, it’s how the mattress is made flame retardant that is most important.
A lot of mattresses are still made with polyurethane foam and PVC, both of which are highly flammable. So, oftentimes companies will coat their mattresses with chemicals that are suspected to be harmful to ensure that their mattresses are up to fire safety codes.
Some scientists have even linked these flame-retardant chemicals to things like SIDS and long-term adverse health effects.
So, while you certainly want to ensure that your baby’s new crib mattress is up to all flammability codes, it is certainly worth doing a bit of research to determine how the company is accomplishing that.
The breathability of your little one’s mattress will help to endure their safety. While it’s commonplace to lay babies down on their backs now, (rather than on their stomachs, which used to be advised) babies still learn to roll over their own eventually.
It’s certainly not uncommon to lay your little bundle down for their nap safely on their back, only to check back in and find them on their side or tummy, or sometimes even a position you can’t quite figure out!
So, it’s extremely important to make sure that, even if your little one does make their way over to their tummy during their nap, their mattress offers enough airflow and breathability to keep them safe and able to breathe.
This is a given; babies are messy! They have leaky diapers and spit up, and more drool than you were ever prepared for. It is completely unavoidable for some of those little messes to end up on their mattress. Having a waterproof mattress will seriously lighten your load when it comes to wiping up those daily messes.
However, ease of cleaning isn’t the only reason you want to ensure that your little one mattress is waterproof and unable to absorb any liquids.
Mattresses aren’t washable. They’re wipeable, and you can even give them a hefty spraying of disinfectant, but you just simply can’t wash them. If liquids make their way into the padding of your baby’s mattress, it can quickly breed harmful molds and bacteria that can potentially make little ones pretty darn sick.
Especially considering that babies aren’t born with very strong immune systems, and their little faces lie directly on their mattress, they’ll be left breathing in all the harmful things growing inside their mattress.
What To Avoid When Purchasing the Best Crib Mattress
Just like it’s important to ensure that your crib mattress has certain qualities, it’s equally important to make sure that it doesn’t have certain attributes. There are a few things you’ll want to avoid when shopping for the best crib mattress.
Avoid Buying Used
We all know that crib mattresses have the potential to be a little on the pricey side, but it’s always best to try to cut the budget elsewhere, for the safety of your little one. With a lot of use, a crib mattress can potentially break down the same way that any mattress would. Losing its firmness, leaving lumps and uneven surfaces, all of which can lead to a dangerous situation for a baby.
Uneven padding inside the mattress can cause your baby to roll to one side, leaving their face pressed against the mattress or side of the crib, and restricting their ability to breathe.
Not to mention, there’s just no way to guarantee how well that mattress has been taken care of. And, as mentioned above, a dirty mattress (even if it doesn’t look dirty) can be a breeding ground for all sorts of unhealthy and even hazardous molds and bacteria, making for a very unsafe sleeping space for your little one.
Don’t Ignore The Size
For the most part, all cribs and crib mattresses are the same size. But, of course, there are always exceptions to the rules. Sometimes some cribs are larger than others, especially those that are considered convertible and meat to “grow” with your child. And there is also a slew of miniature cribs available on the market for parents that have limited space or would like to keep baby’s crib in the room with them.
So, it’s important to always double check just to ensure that the mattress that you’re purchasing matches the size of the crib you have.
It is extremely dangerous to use an ill-fitting crib mattress in your baby’s crib. A mattress that is too small can leave gaps between the mattress and the crib sides that your child could fall into and become trapped. And trying to cram a too-large mattress into a crib will make for a lump, uneven surface that could cause that baby’s breathing to become restricted.
Avoid Mattresses That Are Too Soft
While firmness doesn’t always equal comfort in our minds, firmness is an absolute must when it comes to a crib mattress. And it needs to be extremely firm.
Allowing an infant to sleep on a soft, plush surface greatly increases their risk of suffocation and even SIDS.
It is actually recommended that you never lie an infant down to sleep on any other surface than a firm mattress; such as couches, pallets, or adult beds.
While it may sound shockingly uncomfortable to us adults, you can rest assured that a good, firm crib mattress is the safest and most comfortable place to put your infant down to sleep.
Don’t Overlook The Certifications
There are certain safety standards and certifications that all mattresses must meet in accordance with The American Society for Testing and Materials and the CPSC. This is to ensure that, no matter what, every mattress sold in the US is safe for the consumers. But, don’t automatically brush off those independent certifications just yet.
Often times, independent groups will certify products based upon the groups’ interest. For example, if you’re looking for an all organic crib mattress, then make sure to look for a mattress that’s been certified “100% organic” by an independent interest group such as the Environmental Working Group.
Often times, companies will label and market their products in such a way that makes the consumer believe it is “100% organic” or “all-natural” when the product doesn’t truly meet those standards. And you’ll often end up picking up the extra price for little more than fancy labeling.
So, if you’re searching for a specific type of the best crib mattress or one that meets certain specifications above and beyond the norm, keep your eyes peeled for those independent certifications rather than relying solely on what the label says.
So Which is the Best Crib Mattress For Your Baby?
Ultimately, the phrase, “parents know best” really rings true here. Some parents may be looking for an all-natural, organic option, while others may be in search of that absolute safest and most breathable option on the market.
The best crib mattresses are no longer the cardboard and foam concoction that they used to be. There is everything from memory foam, to latex, to coconut fiber-filled available on the market these days. They all offer an array of different advantages and disadvantages as well as price ranges.
Here, we’ve made sure to review a little bit of all the options available for the best crib mattress, to help you make the most informed decision for you and your baby.