This unbiased, in-depth review features the best down pillows our team of Sleeping Ninjas could find. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
We all know that oftentimes the pillow makes the bed. You can buy the most expensive, luxurious mattress, the highest thread count sheets, or the plushest comforter you can find. But, if the pillow under your head in uncomfortable, then your entire night’s sleep is uncomfortable.
When we think of luxurious comfort (especially when it comes to bedding) one of the first things we think of is down. Down is found underneath the tougher exterior feathers of ducks and geese. This super-soft, fluffy material is popular in bedding products such as covers and pillows because it lends a layer of cloud-like plushness and luxury that you just can’t find in other materials.
The first time you lie your head on a down pillow you’ll never want to turn back. The material envelops you in ultra-plush, light, and airy comfort that lends an unsurpassed floating sensation.
To help you find the best down pillow for you, we’ve created a complete guide to what we believe are 7 of the best down pillows on the market. Let’s dive right in!
The 7 Best Down Pillows
Here’s a quick look at the best down pillows highlighted in this review:
- L LOVSOUL White Goose Feather and Down Pillow
- Downlite Extra Soft Down Pillow
- Continental Bedding Premium White Goose Down Pillow
- The Original Queen Anne Pillow
- Versari Luxury White Goose Down Pillow
- Luxuredown White Goose Down Pillow
- Fine Feather 100% Hungarian White Goose Down Pillow
L LOVSOUL White Goose Down and Feather Pillow
Up first in our search for the best down pillow is the L LOVSOUL White Goose Down and Feather Pillow. This pillow is made with a combination of soft, super-plush down and firmer, more supportive goose feathers. This blend ensures that users are getting all of the luxuries they expect from the down material while the addition of feathers ensures that you’re still getting all the necessary support.
L LOVSOUL designed their down pillow with three chambers to best execute their combination of down and feathers. The top and bottom surfaces of the pillow feature the super-soft down material. That way, your head is always resting directly against that cloud-like surface. The third chamber of the pillow, serving as the core, is their layer of firm goose feathers. This guarantees that once your head and gently sank into the down material, your head and neck will remain supported by the core of the pillow so you’re never left with neck or shoulder pain and discomfort due to a lack of support.
The pillow is then put together with an aesthetically please silver-gray piping around the edges of their 100% Egyptian cotton cover. This tactic not only adds to the visual appeal of the product, giving it that indulgent look, but it also adds to the durability with double needle stitching.
- The L LOVSOUL down pillow meets the certification and authentication standards of OEKO-TEX, Downpass, and IDFL – so you can rest assured that it’s safe
- The company offers a 30-day money back satisfaction guarantee
- The L LOVSOUL down pillow is available in 1st and 2nd generation, if you want to add even more luxury for a little more in price
- Some users have claimed that this pillow has relieved their pain better than orthopedic or chiropractic options
- Down, in general, does tend to go flat, the company suggests patting the pillow often and allowing it to air out regularly to help combat this issue
- The down material is not washable and can only be tumble dried on low heat – if the pillow has to be cleaned, the company recommends dry cleaning
- Because of the way the product is sealed for shipping, some naturals odors can be trapped – its recommended that you air the pillow out for a few hours to rid of the smell before use
The L LOVSOUL down pillow is available in 1st and 2nd generations and both options are available in 1 or 2 packs. The 1st generations come in at $39.99 for one pillow and $59.99 for a 2 pack. The 2nd generation is $42.99 for one and $72.99 for two.
If you’re searching for the best down pillow that will offer all the luxury and plushness of down while still providing a medium-firm level of support, then the L LOVSOUL is the perfect option for you. Their 3-chamber design and combination of down and feathers allow their pillow to gently support your head and neck without skimping on the plush feel of down.
Downlite Extra Soft Down Pillow
Up next in our guide to the best down pillow is the Downlite Extra Soft Down Pillow. Downlite has designed their pillow to provide all of the plush comforts of down material in a thinner height profile to make the pillow comfortable for back and stomach sleepers. Generally speaking, most pillows for stomach sleepers are made from thin memory foam and leave users with little options to choose from. Downlite has taken it upon themselves to rectify this issue.
Their pillow is designed to be fluffy, soft, and responsive but flattens under the weight of your head so your neck and shoulders are never left strained when lying on your stomach. The pillow can even be used over top of existing pillows to add an extra layer of comfort and plushness. The Downlite pillow is also hypoallergenic to ensure the safest and healthiest sleep possible.
- The Downlite pillow is easily cared for and machine washable and dryer safe
- The Downlite down pillow breathes easily and allows for sufficient airflow to ensure it always remains cool against your head
- This pillow does not have any feathers, only soft down, so you’ll never have to worry about quills poking through the surface
- Customers love that the pillow is so squishy and moldable, allowing you to adjust the pillow to your preferences night after night
- The Downlite pillow is assembled in the USA but made from imported materials
- Some users complain that the pillow is so flat that it won’t stay in a sham or case
- Some reviewers have noted that the down material starts to come out of the pillow after a few months of use
The Downlite down pillow is available in three different size: 20×26 – $54.99, 20×30 – $59.99, 20×36 – $69.99.
If you’re a stomach sleeper that’s looking for a super-soft extra plush pillow that doesn’t have too much loft, then the Downlite is the best down pillow for you. This pillow keeps you comfortable and offers all the luxury of down while keeping your head low to the mattress when lying on your stomach to reduce tension and strain.
Continental Bedding Premium White Goose Down Pillow
The Continental Bedding Premium White Goose Down Pillow is next on our list of the best down pillows. This pillow is perfectly stuffed with 22oz of premium white goose down designed to be super-soft, plush, and luxurious – making it the perfect pillow for side and stomach sleepers that want to sink down into cloud-like luxury.
The Continental Bedding pillow is then wrapped in a 100% 300 thread count cotton cover. This cover makes sure that your face is always against a soft, breathable surface to guarantee that you’re never left too hot or itchy. Continental Bedding has also made sure their pillow is hypoallergenic for the safest and healthiest sleep possible.
- The Continental Bedding pillow is available in standard, queen, and king sizes
- The pillow is made in the USA with 100% cotton and down
- The Continental Bedding down pillow is Responsible Down Standard Certified
- Customers rave that the pillow offers a “just-right” feel
- Continental Bedding offers their pillow in a regular feel or soft option
- We could not verify any washing instructions for the Continental Bedding down pillow
- The pillow needs some shaking and squeezing before its first use because of the way it’s been shipped
- The Continental Bedding pillow is very soft and lofty and doesn’t offer a lot of firm support
The Continental Bedding pillow is available in standard size – $92.99 for one $149.99 for two, queen size – $99.99 for one $179.99 for two, and king size – $107.99 for one $189.99 for two.
If you’re looking for the best down pillow that offers straightforward down comfort and plushness, then the Continental Bedding pillow is just right for you. They haven’t crammed their pillow for of unnecessary bells and whistles. They’ve created a high-quality, upfront pillow that offers complete comfort, lots of loft, and a cloud-like feel.
The Original Queen Anne Pillow
The Original Queen Anne Pillow was made with pure luxury in mind. Each pillow is hand stuffed with only the most premium down that comes straight from the softest part of the breast and digitally calibrated to meet perfect specifications to guarantee optimal comfort. Queen Anne does not use any full or partial feathers in their pillow to ensure that your pillow never crunches under your head and pokes you throughout the night.
The super-soft down material is encased in 330 thread count, 100% cotton ticking for a silky-soft, luxurious, and breathable surface. The edges are then enclosed with beautifully rich, durable, and long-lasting purple piping – guaranteeing that the pillow will last and adds that extra touch of regality.
The Original Queen Anne Pillow is so luxurious that it’s used in places such as the Marriott, New York Palace, Hilton Hotels, and Celebrity Cruise Lines. The Queen Anne company has worked hard to ensure that each and every pillow they produce is of the utmost quality and detail to ensure that their users truly can sleep like royalty.
- Each and every Queen Anne Pillow is made in the USA
- If you ever experience an issue with your Queen Anne purchase, the company goes above and beyond to offer pillow adjustments, exchanges, and hassle-free returns
- Reviewers have praised the Queen Anne company’s customer service department – saying that their timely, courteous, and actually care about what their customers have to say
- The Queen Anne Pillow is the most expensive option we’ve featured in our buyer’s guide to the best down pillow
- The Queen Anne Pillow is quite soft and is only recommended for stomach and back sleepers – however, the Queen Anne company does offer different, firmer options for side sleepers or those looking for a bit more support
- Some users have complained that the pillow was wonderful at first but it did flatten out and lose its fluffiness quite quickly
The Queen Anne Pillow is available in standard, queen, and king sizes as well as, soft, medium, and firm fills. The prices for these options are as follows: Standard soft – $188.99, medium – $193.99, firm – $198.99. Queen soft – $199.99, medium – $209.99, firm – $214.99. King soft – $219.99, medium – $234.99, firm – $239.99.
If you’re looking for the best down pillow that promises to offer unsurpassed luxury and indulgence and you’re willing to spend a good chunk of change on it, then The Queen Anne Pillow is the perfect option for you. The pillow is designed with extravagance and is truly perfect for back and stomach sleepers that want a cloud-like softness.
Versari Luxury White Goose Down Pillow
In this section of our guide to the best down pillow, we’ll be covering the Versari Luxury White Goose Down Pillow. This high-quality pillow is stuffed with pure white goose down with no crunchy feathers that can poke you through the night and cause discomfort. This ensures that you’re getting all of that luxurious softness and plushness that you’ve come to expect from the best down pillow.
The Versari Luxury Pillow is designed to be cloud-like while remaining gently supportive. Versari has also gone out of their way to guarantee that their pillow is as safe and healthy as possible. All of their goose down is of premium quality and allergy and chemical free. Each Versari pillow has been thoroughly cleaned and sterilized and is also mildew, mold, and dust mite resistant.
- The Versari Down Pillow is technically machine washable and dryer safe
- Customers note that the Versari Pillow does not have any noticeable odor
- Users brag on the cloud-like softness and airy sensation they experience when using this pillow
- Reviewers have noted that the surface of the pillow is silky-soft and smooth – lending another level of comfort
- While Versai does claim that their pillow is machine washable, they do highly recommend professional cleaning to maintain the integrity of the product
- The Versari pillow does require regular hand fluffing and sun drying to keep if fluffy and lofty
- We were unable to verify the return policy of the Versari pillow
For such a high-quality pillow the Versari comes in at a pretty average price of $52.99.
If you’re looking for the best down pillow that offers super-plushness and extra softness with a touch of support, then the Versari is the best down pillow for you. It’s been designed to offer optimal comfort and luxury, gentle support, and it’s allergy safe.
Luxuredown White Goose Down Pillow
The Luxuredown White Goose Down Pillow is up next in our guide to the best down pillow. The Luxuredown Pillow is advertised as having a medium-firm feel with a 650-power fill of extra luxurious white goose down. The medium-firm fill allows this particular pillow to offer its users gentle support, making it the perfect option for back and side sleepers.
In addition to the ultra-plush down filling, the Luxuredown White Goose Down Pillow features a 330-count, 100% cotton cover – lending the surface of the pillow a silky-soft and smooth to the touch feeling. This cotton covering in combination with the high-quality, airy down filling makes the Luxuredown pillow breathable and perfect for use through any season.
- This pillow is marketed for side and back sleepers, but several reviewers have claimed to use it while sleeping on their stomach and find it very satisfactory
- Reviewers rave that the pillow perfectly molds around the shape of your head and neck, offering comfort and tender support
- Users note that the down is high-quality and does not clump or get lumpy like other, cheaper down versions do
- Some users have complained that the pillow went flat and lost its loft quickly
- Reviewers have noticed that the small down feathers start coming out of the pillow after a few months of use
- Some customers have complained that the Luxuredown pillow is still too soft to meet their needs
The Luxuredown pillow comes in 3 different sizes and can be bought individually or in a 2-pack. The prices are as follows: Standard – $89.99, 2-pack – $169.99. Queen – $99.99, 2-pack – $189.99, King – $109.99, 2-pack – $209.99.
When it comes to finding the best down pillow, the Luxuredown is a pretty straightforward option. It’s filled with high-quality down and offers a light level of support while remaining soft and plush.
Fine Feather 100% Hungarian White Goose Down Pillow
To wrap up our guide to the best down pillow we’re featuring the Fine Feather 100% Hungarian White Goose Down Pillow. Each Fine Feather pillow is filled with 27 ounces of premium hypoallergenic Hungarian Goose down that promises to be completely odor free and greatly reduce allergy symptoms.
The Fine Feather pillow is advertised as a medium-firm option that provides users with a gentle touch of support in addition to the soft, plush comfort that we’ve all come to expect from down products. The pillow has a high loft level and allows your head to sink gently into its surface for complete and optimal relaxation throughout your neck and shoulders – making for a peaceful and undisturbed night’s rest.
The premium goose down filling is wrapped in a 100%, 330 thread count cotton damask pillow shell. This ensures that the surface of the pillow is soft and smooth to the touch and adds an extra level of luxury for an all-around indulgent sleeping experience.
- The fine Feather Goose Down Pillow is completely compatible with any sleeping position
- The Fine Feather company does not compress their pillows for shipment, so there’s no odor trapped in the material and it arrives nice and fluffy
- The Fine Feather is only stuffed with 100% premium Hungarian Goose down, no feathers to cause crunching or poking
- Several users have complained that the pillow is stuffed too tightly, causing it to be quite thick
- Customers note that the pillow has great loft but doesn’t offer a lot of support
- Were unable to verify any care instructions or return policies for the pillow
The Fine Feather Goose Down Pillow is available in three different sizes: Standard – $114.99, Queen – $119.99, King – $124.99.
If you’re looking for a pillow that’s super-soft and lofty without much firmness or support, then the Fine Feather Goose Pillow is the best down pillow for you. It’s stuffed with only the highest quality goose down and offers tons of soft comfort, but doesn’t provide a lot of actual support.
What To Keep In Mind When Searching For The Best Down Pillow
- Always be sure to check the cleaning instructions of the pillows you’re considering – oftentimes true down material cannot be washed conventionally as it will negatively affect the down
- Make sure that you don’t have any allergies – down is a fantastic material that can offer a lot of great benefits and several options are hypoallergenic. But, sometimes people have specific allergies to goose and duck down/feathers and there’s just no way around it
- Keep your firmness needs in mind while shopping – a pillow with only down material will be super-soft and not lend a lot of support. But, there are options available with the addition of goose or duck feathers that offer gentle support in addition to the plush down
So, What’s The Best Down Pillow Of Them All?
Obviously, we think that all the pillows we’ve covered here are pretty fantastic options. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have included them in our guide to the best down pillow! But, ultimately, we think the Luxuredown is our favorite.
If you’re willing to spend a pretty penny on a new pillow, then The Queen Anne Pillow is absolutely fantastic. But, the Luxuredown offers all of the great qualities of down, a touch of gentle support, and optimal comfort for a price that’s pretty affordable. It’s a straightforward down pillow that won’t disappoint.