Summary: This unbiased, in-depth review features the top picks for the best hybrid mattress by our team of Sleeping Ninjas. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
For many, purchasing a new mattress can be overwhelming. After all, there are around a hundred mattress brands on the market.
How do you choose the perfect mattress when you have so many choices? If you find yourself liking certain features, but not loving one mattress in particular, you may find yourself happiest with a hybrid.
What is a Hybrid Mattress?
A hybrid mattress combines two or more unique materials associated with different types of mattresses. This allows manufacturers to create a mattress that is a unique blend of components. They do this in order to capitalize on the best aspects of each type of material used.
See our detailed review of our criteria for the best hybrid mattress below.
A Quick Peek at our Top Picks
Here’s a rundown of our selection for the top seven best hybrid mattresses:
- The Bear
- Dream Cloud
- Brooklyn Signature
- Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature
- The New Purple
Now, let’s have a closer look …
The 7 Best Hybrid Mattresses by Category
Now you know the material options and the features to consider. With that, let us look at the best hybrid mattresses available today.
Bear Hybrid: Best Hybrid Mattress for the Active Lifestyle
The Bear Hybrid mattress is made of a hybrid of various foams and a coil layer. It is marketed towards athletes or those with active lifestyles. The Bear Hybrid is only offered in a medium (6) firmness, which makes it ideal for side sleepers and back sleepers.
The cover includes Bear’s patented hand-quilted Celliant fiber. The second layer is made of a quick response memory foam, which allows you to sink in. A cooling graphite-gel memory foam makes up the third layer. This helps with airflow and continued pressure relief. The fourth layer is made of individually-encased innersprings.
Finally, a high-density support foam helps ensure your mattress is durable. The foam components ensure motion transfer is little to non-existent.
- Bear mattresses are made in the USA.
- The Bear Hybrid is CertiPUR-US certified.
- The Bear Hybrid comes with a 100-night trial period.
- Bear offers a 20-year limited warranty.
- The graphite-gel, Celliant cover and innersprings help you sleep cool with the Bear Hybrid.
- Athletes and heavy-set sleepers will enjoy the medium firmness, contour, and support.
- Plenty of reviewers have remarked on Bear’s superb customer service.
- Bear believes in charity. A portion of each sale is donated to Good Sports. (This charity aims to make sports available to all children in the USA.)
- The Celliant cover cannot be removed. This means you cannot easily clean it.
- While Bear does use a quick response memory foam, it is not as responsive as latex foam.
- Stomach sleepers may not enjoy the Bear Hybrid, as it is towards the firmer end of the medium scale.
The Bottom Line
Although Bear is specifically marketed to those with an active lifestyle, it’s an excellent overall mattress and a top contender for the best hybrid mattress in its class.
Special Sleeping Ninja Deal: $200 off the purchase of a Hybrid Mattress with code LD200
Dream Cloud: Best Luxury Hybrid at an Exceptional Value
The Dream Cloud is an eight-layer luxury hybrid crafted from the finest materials. The cashmere and polyester blend cover is breathable and soft. The second layer, a gel-infused memory foam, offers a cool contour. The soft, quilted memory foam third layer offers deep contouring. The fourth layer is made of a premium natural latex, offering more airflow, response and added contour.
A high-density memory foam makes up the fifth layer. A sixth layer of super soft memory foam ensures your spine is supported. This sits atop a seventh coil layer. These coils are part of Dream Cloud’s “BestRest” patent. It includes five-zoned foam encased micro coils for amazing support and cooling.
Finally, a high-density memory foam provides a supportive base layer. The DreamCloud comes in medium-firm only with a 6.5 rating.
- For those with back pain, the DreamCloud may provide the best support possible.
- The combination of gel-infused memory foam, latex and coils make the DreamCloud extremely cool.
- The Dream Cloud is CertiPUR-US certified.
- The eight luxury layers make the DreamCloud extremely durable.
- The Dream Cloud has an exceptional 365-night trial period.
- The manufacturer truly believes in DreamCloud. They offer an “Everlong” warranty. This no-hassle warranty means your DreamCloud is under warranty throughout the entire time you own it.
- Delivery can be a bit slow.
- While the DreamCloud is a luxury bed, it does cost less than traditional luxury mattresses. However, it is still more expensive than most mattresses on this list. (They do offer financing. Check out their website to see if you qualify.)
The Bottom Line
Dream Cloud is perhaps the most affordable hybrid in the luxury class, giving it a position as one of the best hybrid mattresses.
Sleeping Ninjas Specia Offer: Get $200 off your Dream Cloud purchase by clicking here.
See Sleeping Ninjas’ in-depth Dream Cloud Mattress Review.
Helix Mattress: Best Customizable Hybrid Sleep Solution
Helix offers a hybrid mattress that is perfectly tailored for you and your partner. Helix uses a custom blend of foams and micro coils to make a bed you design.
How? By taking their quick Sleep Quiz, you provide insight into your sleep habits. The quiz asks questions about your age, gender and weight. It also asks about mattress specific topics, like temperature, support, and sleeping position. You can opt for a blended technology or a dual-comfort model.
If you sleep with a partner, the blended technology combines the responses from both of you into a single mattress. If you opt for a dual-comfort model, each of your sides will be specifically tailored to your individual needs.
- Helix mattress is a truly custom sleep. It is a great solution for couples with different mattress needs.
- This is a CertiPUR-US certified hybrid mattress.
- Helix Sleep mattresses are made in the USA.
- You have a 100-night trial period with Helix Sleep.
- The Helix Sleep mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
- The edge support on your Helix sleep mattress is not the best. For those who sleep on an edge, this can be problematic.
- Depending on how different you and your partner sleep, you may notice a seam through the middle of your dual-comfort model. After all, if your partner sleeps firm and you prefer soft, there will be a difference.
- The cover is thin. This sometimes leads to bunching.
The Bottom Line
Helix offers a comfortable, versatile mattress that easily qualifies as one of the best hybrid mattresses available.
The WinkBed Luxury Hybrid Mattress: Extreme Hybrid Durability and Coolness
WinkBeds are known for their durability. The first layer is made of dual gel-foam designer pads. A micro airspring layer sits beneath this. This helps to increase airflow and response. Under this, a lumbar support layer helps ensure your spine is properly aligned.
A fourth layer is made of wrapped coils and a perimeter support ring. A TENCEL cover encases the WinkBed layers to help ensure heat is wicked away and airflow is easy. However, the true magic is provided through the optional coolControl layer.
This technology driven bonus level ensures coolness. How? The coolControl layer allows the sleeper to digitally program the bed’s temperature. For larger beds, each half can be set to the temperature of each partner. WinkBed comes in soft (4.5), luxury firm (6.5) and firm (7.5) options.
- WinkBeds are CertiPUR-US certified.
- These mattresses come with a 101-night trial.
- WinkBeds offer a 10-year warranty on their luxury hybrids.
- The coolControl add on offers sleepers custom temperature control.
- These mattresses are made in the USA.
- This mattress does not isolate motion well. If you are a light sleeper, this may cause problems regardless of the comfort.
- Side sleepers may have issues with the coolControl. If you happen to lay above an airflow tube, you can hear it.
The Bottom Line
Winkbed is a luxury mattress designed to keep you cool as you sleep (especially for heavier individuals). It is one of our top picks for the best hybrid mattress.
Brooklyn Signature Mattress: Budget-Friendly Hybrid
Brooklyn owns its manufacturing facilities. This means there is no intermediary fee added to your purchase cost. This allows Brooklyn to manufacture luxury mattresses at budget-friendly prices.
The first layer is made of Brooklyn’s TitanFlex. This 2-inch open-cell material is hyper-elastic and similar to latex in response. Brooklyn’s patent, however, makes it stronger and more durable than latex alone. TitaniumGel is infused into the TitanFlex to help regulate temperature while contouring to your body. The second layer is another 2-inch layer of TitanFlex. However, this layer is more dense, and therefore, firmer. This transitional layer tops a 6-inch thick coil level.
The mattress contains 1,024 individually wrapped coils for excellent response and support. All of this sits on a layer of dense support foam. The Brooklyn Signature mattress comes in soft, medium and firm. This means any sleeper can find the right mattress for them and their budget.
- Brooklyn mattresses are made in the USA.
- All foam materials in the Brooklyn Signature mattress are CertiPUR-US certified.
- The Brooklyn Signature mattress comes with a 120-night trials.
- This mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Brooklyn’s mattresses are known for pro-longed off gassing. (Off gassing is the term used when the chemical odors of a mattress are released. These fumes can impede sleep until they subside.)
The Bottom Line
Brooklyn’s Signature Series is a solidly crafted hybrid mattress with a luxurious feel.
Nest Bedding Alexander Signature Hybrid: Balanced Hybrid Luxury
Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid combines foams and coils. The top layer, a gel-infused memory foam, offers deep contouring. A TitanChil, titanium-infused foam layer, follows this. To keep the cool going, the third layer is made of a copper-infused foam.
A foam transition layer makes up the fourth tier of this hybrid. Beneath this sits a coil layer that provides quality support and airflow. The Alexander Signature Hybrid mattress comes in plush, medium or luxury firm. This provides sleepers of all kinds with options.
- Nest Bedding mattresses are made in the USA.
- All foam used in a Nest Bedding mattress is CertiPUR-US certified.
- The Alexander Signature Hybrid comes with a 100-night trial.
- Nest Bedding offers a lifetime warranty as well as a lifetime comfort guarantee. This means that if you can exchange your mattress at any time for 50% of the current retail value.
- Nest Bedding excels at edge support. Why? They manufacture their mattresses with firmer coils around the perimeter.
- Certain customers feel that Nest Beddings firmness grades are incorrect. According to reviews, the medium is closer to firm.
- The Alexander Signature Hybrid is very heavy. This can make it difficult to move.
The Bottom Line
The Alexander Signature provides an ultra-comfortable sleeping experience as one the best hybrid mattresses available.
The New Purple Mattress: Most Innovative Hybrid
The science behind the new Purple mattress is innovative. The scientifically engineered hyper-elastic polymer grid provides a new kind of support. Using current technologies, the purple grid provides flexibility and support where they are needed most. The transitional second layer is made of ultra-double polyurethane foam. This sits atop a layer of individually wrapped coils.
A dense polyurethane foam layer provides the final support level. A luxurious stretch cover encases the mattress components for added comfort.
Because the polymer grid is heat neutral, the new Purple mattress sleeps cool. It is motion isolating to ensure you sleep, regardless of what your partner does. The new Purple mattress is available in three options. Firmness is indicated by the thickness of the grid layer, which comes in 2-, 3- and 4-inch options. The thinner the purple grid, the firmer the mattress.
- The new Purple mattress is CertiPUR-US certified.
- This hybrid comes with a 100-night trial.
- The new Purple mattress has a 10-year warranty.
- If you are looking for a long lasting mattress, the new Purple may be for you. With over 30 patents, the new Purple mattress should last up to 40 years!
- The polymer grid, coils and foam make this mattress heavy. If you are moving it, you will need at least two people, if not more.
- The Purple mattress is relatively new. Because of this, there are no guarantees that it will last 40 years.
The Bottom Line
The New Purple is a marketing sensation, but it’s also a strong contender for the best hybrid mattress.
The Qualities of Each Material in Hybrid Mattresses
The best hybrid mattresses try to blend the best features of various types of mattresses. To better understand what they offer, let us take look at the most popular types of mattresses today.
Innerspring or Coil
Innerspring, or coil, mattresses are certainly tried and true. Innerspring mattresses have the fastest response and bounce. They are also the coolest type of mattress you can buy, which is great for hot sleepers. Innerspring mattresses tend to be on the firmer side. The number of coils in an innerspring mattress typically dictate the quality. Individually wrapped coils will be cooler than those in a large, group casing. (Although even these will be cooler than other types of mattresses.) On the negative side, however, innerspring mattresses are notorious for motion transfer. If your partner moves, or the dog jumps on the bed, you will feel it with an innerspring mattress.
Gel is typically added to foam in a gel mattress. This is to help with the support system or upholstery of the mattress itself. Gel helps to distribute heat when added to foam. This helps make it cooler than a traditional foam mattress would be expected to be. Gel mattresses, however, are still hotter than innerspring ones. Gel can be added to a mattress in various ways. A gel-pad layer may top a foam layer. Gel may also be mixed into the actual foam as it sets. Some companies add gel beads to their foam material. (Gel beads tend to be ineffective if you are seeking a cool mattress.)
A latex mattress uses a latex-based foam. They are incredibly durable. Latex sleeps cooler than memory foam. This is due to the breathable nature of the latex itself. Latex, however, does not contour as well as other mattresses. They come in varying degrees of firmness.
Memory foam mattresses are known for their contouring support. Through their deep contour, memory foam helps relieve pressure. They are great at preventing motion transfer. They are also silent, unlike innerspring. However, they are not very responsive. They are also among the hottest mattresses on the market. Most of the best hybrid mattresses have memory foam.
What to Look for in the Best Hybrid Mattress
The best hybrid mattress offers many benefits. However, your personal tastes affect your decision. Let us look at what features you may want to consider.
Being able to be cool when you sleep is more important that you may realize. (In fact, your body naturally reduces heat as it enters the various stages of sleep.) For those who tend to sleep hot, stay away from memory foam in general. Memory foam is so dense that it does not allow adequate airflow. This prevents heat distribution. A combination of foam and latex (or coils) tends to be the coolest way to enjoy memory foam in a hybrid.
Hybrids are, in general, more durable than mattresses made of a single material. Innerspring, for example, tend to sag with time. Coils may even pop through unevenly and create discomfort. However, topping the coils in memory foam or latex can prevent this type of discomfort. Investing in a durable mattress can ensure you get years of use. (Most mattresses should last between 8 and 10 years. While some may last longer, they should never fail before then. On the same note, if your mattress is older than that, it may be time to consider a replacement.)
Firmness is really a personal preference. (Experts estimate that 80% of people prefer medium firm beds. If you are unsure, most recommend you try one of these out.) The best hybrid mattresses abide by a firmness scale. For medium mattresses, this means they will be between a 5 and 6 on this scale. Extra soft mattresses, between a scale of 1 and 2, are not recommended for anyone. Soft mattresses, indicated by a 3 or 4 on the scale, are good for side sleepers. They offer a deeper contour. If your mattress is rated between 7 and 8, it is considered firm. A mattress that is 9 to 10, is extra firm. These have a limited appeal, but certain individuals may prefer them.
As you review various mattresses, you may see “CertiPUR-US certified” or “OEKO-TEX certified” listed in the descriptions. These certifications are proof the manufacture met specific standards. This includes environment, hazardous and chemical regulation standards.
Your sleeping position affects they type of mattress you will prefer. To find the best hybrid mattress for you, make sure you consider your sleep position.
- Stomach sleepers tend to prefer a firmness between 5 and 7. This allows them to sink into the mattress. This accommodates for your stomach to dip in, while keeping your spine properly aligned. For lighter stomach sleepers, memory foam and latex may be the best combination. For heavier stomach sleepers, foam, latex and coils may provide the best support.
- Side sleepers, on the other hand, typically enjoy softer mattresses. They prefer mattresses that range between 3 and 6 on the firmness scale. Soft mattresses allow for the shoulders and hips to sink in. Latex and foam may provide a side sleeper with the most comfort.
- Back sleepers are more versatile. They enjoy mattresses that range between 4 and 8 in firmness. Keeping your spine aligned is most important. Experts recommend a top layer of foam with an innerspring base.
For the most part, manufacturers offer trial periods. This means you have a certain amount of time to test the mattress. If it does not meet your expectations before the trial ends, you are typically guaranteed your money back. The average trial period is roughly 120 nights. However, trial periods will vary between manufacturers.
All of the best hybrid mattresses will come with a warranty. These warranties will tell you a great deal about the quality of mattress you have bought. The average warranty is 10 years. Regardless of the warranty offered with your mattress, make sure you read it. Some warranties are offered, regardless of the state of your mattress. However, others can be voided if stains, or other issues, are evident. For this reason, most experts recommend investing in a mattress protector.
The Best Hybrid Mattress – A Personal Choice
In the end, the best hybrid mattress is a personal choice. There are a lot of great mattresses out there. It is always important to thoroughly research any mattress you are considering purchasing. Why? Because individual reviews may provide insight that relates to your specific needs.
Given the various trial periods, however, you can try any mattress on our list risk-free.
Most of the bed-in-a-bag mattresses even come with financing options. If you are sleeping on an old, worn out mattress, consider buying one of the best hybrid mattresses today.