Summary: This unbiased, in-depth review features the best kids mattresses our team of Sleeping Ninjas could find throughout the land. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
Time has finally come for your kiddo to graduate from their cribs and toddler bed into their very first big kid bed! Exciting right?! Albeit a little bit heartbreaking. You’ve watched them grow and transition from a tiny baby in their crib, to a rambunctious toddler in their new toddler bed, to the young child that’s finally standing in front of you now.
You’ve been with them every step of the way and want to ensure that you’re giving them the best for this final transition. You want them to be comfortable and supported and getting the best nights sleep possible, night after night. It’s important that you can rest assured knowing that their new bed is doing what it’s supposed to, and it’s going to last.
It can be a big decision and even a bit overwhelming. So we’ve done the heavy lifting for you right here and compiled a list of the best mattress on the market, even giving them a convenient “best of” category, to ensure that you’re buying the best kids mattress available.
Top 7 Best Mattresses for Kids
Here’s a quick rundown of the best kids mattresses we review below:
- Nest Bedding Big Kid’s Bed
- Naturepedic 2-in-1
- The 5 Little Monkeys Sleep System
- Dream Cloud Full Size Mattress
- Plushbeds Cool Bliss
- Tuft & Needle Twin Mattress
- Classic Brands Cool Gel mattress
Now, let’s take a closer look …
The Best Kids Mattress by Category
So what is the best kids mattress? Let’s dive in …
Nest Bedding Big Kid’s Bed – Best In Support
The Nest Bedding Big Kid’s Bed is designed to perform exactly the way it’s marketed – as a Big Kid’s Bed! It’s constructed with a 2” top layer of breathable Energex foam, rated at a 2.8 on the firmness scale, and a 5” layer of edge support base foam, to help ensure both comfort and support.
The bottom layer of base foam is designed to reach every edge and corner of the mattress to guarantee that no matter what part of the mattress your child ends up on, they’ll be comfortable and supported. Altogether the mattress is only 7″ tall, giving it a low profile and making it ideal for bunk beds, daybeds, and trundles.
The Big Kid’s Bed is made factory direct in the USA, completely constructed with Certi-PUR US certified foam, and uses absolutely no harsh chemicals or additives to meet flammability standards. Providing your child with a simple, clean, healthy mattress.
- All materials are durability certified and made to last
- Nest Bedding offers a lifetime warranty
- The Big Kid’s Bed is still firm enough to offer support, yet soft enough to remain comfortable for growing bodies
- The Big Kid’s Bed is designed and constructed specifically for children and young people, it isn’t meant for teens or adults – so it will not transition into later life will your child
- The mattress does come compressed in a small box and requires up to 48 hours to fully expand
- The mattress is not able to be flipped, due to the top layer of breathable foam, which can reduce longevity
The Nest Bedding Big Kid’s Bed is a simple and straightforward option that will provide your child with a supportive, comfortable mattress that will fit virtually any bed frame. However, it is not meant for larger children, so a new purchase later in your child’s life will be required.
Naturepedic 2-in1 Organic Cotton Ultra – Best Organic Option
The Naturepedic 2-in-1 is a multipurpose mattress designed especially with kids in mind. Its double-sided construction features a soft, plush quilted side for perfect, snuggly comfort, and a waterproof, dust-mite resistant side for kiddo’s that aren’t quite spill-proof or accident-free yet.
The waterproof fabric covered side is made of 100% organic cotton and food-grade polyethylene, making for a non-toxic, easy to clean, waterproof, and stain resistant surface. The cover also provides dust mite and bedbug resistance, so there’s no need to purchase an additional cover.
The flip side of the mattress is covered in an organic, quilted cotton that is softer and more luxurious to provide your big kid with ideal comfort. The Naturepedic mattress is filled with certified, US grown organic cotton, a far healthier and safer alternative to polyurethane foams and fillings and is constructed with a 14.5-gauge steel innerspring support system and 6-gauge border wire to ensure optimal edge support and an added layer of stability.
- All Naturepedic products are made without latex or soy to avoid the risk of potential allergens
- Comes with a 10-year limited warranty
- Naturepedic uses only all-natural materials to fire-proof their mattresses, no harsh or harmful chemical sprays or additives
- Naturepedic meets all standards for the Organic and GREENGUARD Gold Certification
- The plush, softer side of the mattress is not waterproof, dust mite, or bed bug resistant, to ensure those qualities, a separate cover purchase is required
- The Naturepedic 2-in1 is a softer mattress and provides more plush comfort than firm support
- Some sagging has been noted if your child has a tendency to lay in the same spot nightly
The Naturepedic 2-in-1 offers parents different options all within the same mattress, with organic, safe materials.
5 Little Monkeys Sleep System – Best Bundle
The 5 Little Monkeys Sleep System comes with everything you need to set your child up for a comfortable, clean, and safe sleeping environment. The Sleep system includes a Certi-PUR Certified memory foam mattress, a removable waterproof cover, and a custom filled pillow.
The mattress is constructed with three layers of memory foam; a high-density breathable memory foam layer to encourage airflow and luxurious comfort, a gel layer that wicks heat away from the body to allow for optimal temperature regulation, and a firm responsive memory foam layer to provide the best support and pressure point relief.
The included hypoallergenic waterproof cover is soft, organic, jersey-knit cotton with a water-resistant backing to guarantee soft, safe, and comfortable water protection without uncomfortable or crinkly vinyl.
The pillow that comes with the 5 Little Monkeys Sleep System is specially designed to provide the ideal spinal alignment for children. It is hypoallergenic, machine washable, and covered with organic cotton.
- 5 Little Monkeys offers a 100-night sleep test and a 15-year mattress warranty
- 8” low profile height – ideal for bunk beds, trundle beds, and daybeds
- The included cover is equipped with a heavy-duty zipper, built to withstand multiple washes
- The mattress and included amenities are toxin free and allergen resistant to provide an extra-safe sleep
- The mattress itself is not waterproof, leaving it vulnerable to accidents when the cover is being washed
- Because the mattress is completely constructed of memory foam layers, it is on the heavier side
The 5 Little Monkeys Sleep System is ideal for young children making the transition to their first big kid bed. It’s hypoallergenic, provides water resistance, and you don’t even have to buy a separate pillow!
Dreamcloud Full Size Mattress – Best In Overall Comfort
The Dreamcloud Full Size Mattress is truly the very definition of luxury. This hybrid mattress is 15” tall and constructed with 8 individual layers, each one designed to deliver the highest level of comfort.
The Dreamcloud features 5 different, unique styles of memory foam including gel-infused, quilted, “Dreamplush supporting”, a super dense soft memory foam layer, and a high-density memory foam foundation for extra support.
Just above the dense memory foam foundation is a patent-pending “BestRest” coil system, specially designed to provide the utmost support throughout every inch of the mattress. The core of the Dreamcloud is made of hypoallergenic, natural latex, to guarantee the perfect level of bounce back, provide an extra layer of support, and reduce movement disruptions throughout the night.
To top it all off, the Dreamcloud is covered in a hand-tufted polyester and cashmere blend that provides unmatchable comfort, softness, and breathability. The patent-pending coil system is constructed specifically to ensure optimal airflow, drawing heat away from the body and allowing for an unsurpassed cool sleep.
- Dreamcloud offers a 365-night trial and an “Everlong” warranty for as long as you own the mattress
- The mattress is constructed with Certi-PUR certified foam – certified for air quality and emissions
- The Dreamcloud mattress is specifically recommended for side and stomach sleepers – a common position for young children
- This mattress is 15″ tall, making it unsuitable for a bunk bed, trundle, or platform bed
- The Dreamcloud is a bit firm, coming in at a 6.5 on the firmness scale, making it perfect for side and stomach sleepers, but possibly a bit too firm for other sleeping positions
- Does contain latex and polyester which can both be potential allergens
When it comes to the best in comfort, the Dreamcloud simply cannot be beaten. Every single layer is specifically constructed with optimal comfort in mind. But, it is incompatible with bunk beds, trundles, and platform beds, which can be common in children’s rooms, and it is considered a bit on the firmer side.
Sleeping Ninjas Specia Offer: Get $200 off your Dream Cloud purchase by clicking here.
See Sleeping Ninjas’ in-depth Dream Cloud Mattress Review.
Plushbeds 12” Cool Bliss – Best Hybrid Option
The Plushbeds Cool Bliss combines the best of memory foam, polyurethane foam, and natural latex to provide your child with a cool and comfortable sleep night after night.
The first 3” is made with a cool gel memory foam, to help quickly wick away heat, remain breathable, and provide comfortable, cradling pressure-point relief, which can be great for active kiddo’s.
Underneath the gel memory foam layer, the Cool Bliss features 2” of organic natural latex to provide bounce back and reduce disruptions from movement and a 2” air flow layer for additional temperature regulation. To wrap things up, Plushbeds Cool Bliss features a bottom 5″ supportive core of polyurethane foam with a higher than average density to help prevent any sagging or wear down and provide optimally even support for the life of your mattress.
- Plushbeds mattresses are designed to be exceptionally flexible, making them compatible with adjustable bed foundations
- This mattress meets or exceeds all standards required for the GREENGUARD Gold Certification
- The latex used in the Cool Bliss is Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Certified against any harmful substances
- Plushbeds offers a 100-night risk-free trial and a 25-year warranty
- The Plushbeds mattress is designed for use on a strong foundation, making them unideal for certain bed frames
- This mattress is on the firmer side, which could be uncomfortable for little bodies
- The Cool Bliss is constructed with polyurethane and latex which can be potential allergens
The Plushbeds Cool Bliss combines the best parts of common mattress materials to make for a cool, comfortable, supportive sleeping surface.
Tuft & Needle Twin Mattress – Best In Temperature Control
The Tuft & Needle Twin Mattress is an adaptive foam option that’s guaranteed to never sleep hot or give you that quicksand, sinking feeling that is often common with memory foam construction.
While most companies make their mattresses with memory foam, innerspring systems, or latex, Tuft & Needle has developed their own special “T&N Adaptive Foam” that mimics the cradling comfort of memory foam, the bounce back and durability of latex, and the support of coil springs. This foam was specifically engineered by the creators of Tuft & Needle with the help of leading scientists around the world, to come up with that absolute optimal mattress around.
The mattress features a 7” bottom layer of high-density, high-quality polyurethane foam to provide ideal support and ensure that the neck and spine remain properly aligned. The top 3” layer is comprised of the special T&N Adaptive foam, infused with a mix of cooling gel and granite to keep you sleeping as cool and comfortable as possible.
Their specific type of adaptive foam is also formulated to greatly reduce movement disturbances and designed to provide optimal pressure relief in all the right places.
- Tuft & Needle offers a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year honest warranty
- The Adaptive foam construction allows for the mattress to be compressed into a small box and shipped quickly
- The Tuft & Needle Company has award winning customer service if you ever have any questions or concerns about your mattress
- The mattress is not constructed with an innerspring system, coils, or metal hardware that could potentially wear and cause discomfort over time
- The mattress does come tightly compressed in a box and requires up to 72-hours to fully expand
- Some gassing-off is reported and does require adequate ventilation for 48-72 hours to rid it of any unsavory odors
- This mattress is on the softer side, so if you’re looking for something that provides an extra firm support, you may find that this mattress is a little too soft
The Tuft & Needle Company has crafted and designed a foam that utilizes the best qualities of several different materials and combined them into one mattress. It’s been crafted to provide gentle support, optimal comfort, and some of the best cooling properties available, that would be ideal for active young children.
Classic Brands Cool Gel – Best Budget-Friendly Option
If you’re looking for a mattress that will provide comfort and cooling qualities for your child without breaking the bank, then the Classic Brands Cool Gel mattress is certainly an ideal option.
Cool Brands has combined two different types of memory foam – a premium memory foam to relieve pressure points and provide support, and a high-density cool gel infused memory foam to provide optimal airflow and breathability to provide comfort and regulate temperature for a cool sleep.
The Cool Gel mattress is encased in a luxurious stretch knit fabric cover that’s been specifically designed with waterfall edging and knit side panels, so there are no harsh, uncomfortable edges to disturb the look or feel of your mattress.
- Classic Brands uses only high-quality memory foam that is naturally hypoallergenic and mold, bacteria, dust mite, and allergen resistant
- Meets Certi-PUR US standards for emissions and indoor air quality
- Comes free with a shredded memory foam pillow
- The Classic Brands Cool Gel comes with a 25-year worry free warranty
- The mattress does come packed in a small box, which is eco-friendlier but does require up to 72-hours for full expansion
- The Cool Gel is on the heavier side, at 67 pounds
- It is recommended that you purchase and use a separate waterproof cover to prevent liquid penetration, which can greatly compromise the integrity of memory foam
Classic Brands Cool Gel offers a mattress that promises a cool, comfortable, supportive nights rest, at a price you can still sleep through.
What Should You Consider When Purchasing the Best Kid’s Mattress?
Moving your child up to their first big kid’s bed is a big decision. And, as with any large purchase, there are a few things you’ll want to consider before finally settling on your decision. Here are the factors we included in our review of the best kids mattresses on the market:
When you’re considering mattresses for your child’s crib or toddler bed, you look for a warranty simply to ensure high-quality more so than actually needing to use the warranty. Kid’s just don’t spend that long in a crib or toddler bed to warrant actually needing a 25-year to lifetime warranty.
When you’re purchasing the best kids mattress for a young child, the warranty gains a little more importance. The fact still remains that a warranty almost always correlates to quality. If a company is backing their product with a 25-year warranty, that means they expect their product to last at least that long. But, with a kid’s mattress purchase, you’ll actually need the mattress to last that long.
If you make the correct purchase, that includes a hefty warranty, your new mattress could last your child all the way through their teenage years. If you settle on a product that ensures the quality of their mattress for 25-years, or even a lifetime, then you won’t be stuck purchasing 5 different mattresses over the next 16 years.
Now that your child is transitioning into their “forever” bed, comfort is going to be of the utmost importance. When your child is small, firmness is pertinent for their safety. Anything that is too soft or plush can pose a serious risk for injury or suffocation. But now that you’re little one isn’t quite so little anymore, you want to ensure that your child’s mattress is as comfortable as possible to them.
Your kid will soon be starting school and activities, and you want to make sure that they have somewhere to get a comfortable, peaceful night’s rest without unnecessary tossing and turning.
If at all possible, it’s a good idea to actually take your child to test out a few different styles and brands of mattresses to guarantee that they will be comfortable sleeping on it for years to come. What’s comfortable to us may not always feel great to your child. So, it’s important to actually allow your child to be the one to test it out if possible.
A good level of breathability is important with any mattress, and for a few good reasons.
For one, a mattress that provides proficient airflow and breathability is a lot safer. Dense mattresses pose a suffocation risk, and even though your little one is quickly getting a lot bigger, it’s always a good idea to keep safety in mind. If your child’s mattress is breathable, they’re far less likely to suffer injuries from a too-dense, thick material.
Proficient breathability in a mattress also offers an extra level of comfort. If the mattress is breathable and offers a lot of airflow, then it will stay cooler, allowing your child to sleep more comfortably and avoid that too-hot feeling which can make for restless nights. Plus, children are highly active. They tend to spend a lot of time playing hard outside or in sports and activities, oftentimes leaving them worn out and hot-natured. A mattress to help combat that during the night is never a bad thing.
It’s certainly not uncommon for kids to share their room with a sibling. Meaning you need more than one bed to fit in that bedroom. At this point, your child would be best suited by a twin or full-size mattress. But make sure you’re taking into account how well a mattress will fit into the available space before you make your purchase.
If your child has their own room, then a larger full-size mattress may be ideal. But, if they’re sharing a room, then obviously, a twin size would be the optimal use of space. And if you’re looking at putting your child’s mattress on a daybed, trundle, or bunk bed, then you’ll want to look for a low-profile mattress that will fit your child’s bedframe properly.
It is never safe to try to force an ill-fitting mattress into an inappropriate bedframe.
Now that your child is finally moving into a big kid’s bed, this should hopefully be your last mattress purchase for your child. So, you want to make sure that it will last. And, well, children aren’t particularly known for being easy on much of anything.
Whether they’re a jumper, using their mattress as a make-shift trampoline, or happen to have tons of sleepovers with half a dozen kids piled into the same bed, you want their mattress to be durable.
It needs to be able to withstand all of the wear and tear that your child can, and most likely will, subject it to over the next several years of use. You most definitely don’t want to be stuck purchasing a new mattress every other year because they’re just not holding up.
What Should You Be Looking Out For in the Best Kids Mattress?
Anytime you’re making a large purchase, such as a new mattress, there are things you’ll want to look for, and things you’ll want to look out for to ensure that you’re buying a safe product for your child. When evaluating the best kids mattress, consider the following:
While most companies steering clear of using harmful toxins and chemicals, and the government is exceedingly cracking down on the use of these harsh materials, it’s still extremely important to do a bit of research and make sure that the mattress you’re purchasing for your child isn’t made with anything that could potentially cause them harm or make them sick.
Sometimes cheaper quality mattresses are made with VOC’s and even formaldehyde. While the government has greatly limited the amount of those materials that can be used in the production of mattresses, it’s best to try and avoid them all together as they can still potentially release tox fumes and can even cause harmful long-term effects.
Don’t Disregard Certifications
It’s easy to put certifications on the bottom of the importance list when purchasing your child’s new mattress. They’re probably just there for marketing purposes and used as a way to jack up the price a bit, right? Well, not so fast. Those certifications are usually listed for a reason.
Certifications such as the Certi-PUR US Foam Certification and the GREEGUARD Gold Certification are used to ensure that your mattress is meeting emission and indoor air quality standards. If you’re looking for an organic, all-natural product, many independent companies award their own certifications and awards to help you avoid being duped by labels that trick you into thinking you’re purchasing something that’s all-natural by labeling it as “made with organic ingredients.
Those certifications are there to guarantee that your mattress is what it says it is and meet all standards and requirements. If the mattress you’re looking at purchasing hasn’t been certified, then it’s most likely low-quality and not very safe.
Lookout For Potential Allergens
Mattresses on the market today are made from all kinds of different materials. You can now purchase a mattress made out of everything from latex to organic cotton, to soy or coconut husk. And many of these materials can make for a comfortable, safe, and even all-natural organic mattress.
However, it’s not uncommon for children to have allergies the materials that these mattresses are made of. So, before you go making any purchases, especially if your child does have any specific allergies, be sure to do a bit of research and make sure that the mattress your purchasing won’t pose a danger to your child.
Even if your child doesn’t have any specific allergies, if they are allergy or asthma-prone, it may be best to avoid potential allergens and materials such as polyester or wool just to ensure that they’re getting the best use possible out of their new mattress.
The Best Kids Mattress: Which Mattress Is Best For Your Child?
Nowadays there are so many different materials, sizes, and styles available on the market that it can be a little overwhelming to choose. But in the end, you and your child know what’s best.
Give your kid the opportunity to test and try out a few different options, and don’t forget to do a bit of testing and trying yourself to guarantee that you’re making the best possible purchase for your child.
Whether you’re looking for an organic option, optimal comfort, firm support, or extraordinary cooling properties, we’ve made sure to review a bit of the best of everything to help you make a decision that you’ll be proud of.