This unbiased, in-depth review features the top picks for the best hybrids—both foam-based and latex hybrid mattresses. Our team of Sleeping Ninjas examined 54 mattresses while conducting research for this review.
Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with these mattress companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site. This percentage does not influence your price in any way.
A Quick Peek at the Best Hybrid Mattresses
Here’s a rundown of our selection for the best memory foam hybrids and latex hybrid mattresses:
Best Value Latex Hybrid
Awara offers exceptional value, luxury firm comfort, Dunlop latex, wrapped coils, and an organic cover. 365-night sleep trial.
Save $300 with NINJA
Best Luxury Foam Hybrid
The Winkbed is another easy contender for the best luxury hybrid on the market. Highly durable and excels at keeping you cool. 101-night sleep trial.
Save $200 with NINJA200
Best Customizable Foam Hybrid
Helix offers the most customizable hybrid mattress on the market using a custom blend of foams and micro coils to make a bed you design. 100-night sleep trial.
Save $200 with NINJA200
Best Flippable Latex Hybrid
Crystal Cove is a flippable mattress for a choice of luxury or firm sleeping. Activated charcoal-infused memory foam for exceptional cooling. 365-night sleep trial.
Save $175 with NINJA
Best Foam Hybrid for Active Lifestyle
BearHybrid is a quick response memory foam with luxury comfort and excellent cooling properties ideal for anyone with active lifestyle. 100-night sleep trial.
Save 10% with NINJA10
BEST Luxury Foam Hybrid on a budget
DreamCloud is an 8-layer luxury hybrid that you might expect from a 5-star hotel. Provides excellent back support. 365-night sleep trial.
Save $200 with NINJA200
Best Organic Latex Hybrid
Avocado Green is one of our favorite hybrids on the market. Gentle-firm comfort, 100% certified organic and eco-friendly. 365-night sleep trial.
The Best Latex Hybrid Mattress List
So here are our best latex hybrid mattresses:
And here are our top picks for foam-based hybrids:
- Best Luxury (and for heavy sleepers) — Winked
- Best Customizable Hybrid — Helix
- Best for Active Lifestyle — The Bear
See our detailed review of our criteria for the best latex hybrid mattress below. Now, let’s have a closer look.
Latex Hybrid Mattress Reviews
Awara: Best Overall Value Latex Hybrid Mattress
The Awara mattress has everything you look for in a latex hybrid mattress: a 9-inch layer of innerspring coils, 4 inches of natural Dunlop latex, and a quilted cover made of organic fibers.
Two things separate Awara from other hybrid competitors. First, the attention to detail using natural and organic materials, resulting in no off-gassing smells and no toxic fumes for you and your family to inhale as you sleep.
Second, Awara manages to use organic materials and still keep their Queen-size mattress under $1,000. To our knowledge, they are the only company to manage this.
The Awara Hybrid sleeps “luxury firm,” which means it should provide you with a comfortable sleep whether you’re a back, side, or stomach sleeper. (Stomach sleeps may want to also consider getting an organic mattress topper for added softness.)
With a 365-night trial, free shipping and returns, and a “forever” warranty, Awara makes it easy to give their premium mattress a try.
- Organic quilted cotton cover
- Natural Rainforest Alliance-certified Dunlop latex
- Chemical-free (no toxic off-gassing)
- Comfortable for any sleeping style
- Sleeps cool
- Lifetime warranty
- 365 sleep trial
- Awara uses wool materials. Some eco-conscious consumers prefer not using animal-based products. (See the Crystal Cove mattress below.)
The Bottom Line
Given the quality of materials, the excellent overall sleep experience, and the industry-beating pricing, Awara is one of our top picks for the best latex hybrid mattress.
Save $300 on Awara with code NINJA
Crystal Cove: Best Flippable Latex Hybrid Mattress
The Crystal Cove mattress by Brentwood Homes is unique in all the ways that matter.
First off, this is a dual-side hybrid mattress, so you can change your sleeping experience by flipping over the mattress. One side is gentle-firm, ideal for back sleepers and those who live an active lifestyle.
On the flip side, you have a more plush, luxury-style feel with activated charcoal-infused memory foam. This side is ideal for those side and stomach sleepers and anyone who tends to sleep “hot,” as the memory foam will help provide a cooling effect.
Crystal Cove also won’t have any toxic off-gassing smells as this mattress is made with natural latex and other eco-friendly materials. And with no wool used in its construction, Crystal Cover is 100% Certified Vegan.
With five strategic zones, Brentwood has designed this mattress for evenly distribute your body weight and relieve aching pressure points.
- Dual-sided for a firm or luxury sleep experience
- Activated charcoal-infused memory foam for cooling
- 100% natural Dunlop latex
- Greenguard Gold certified, Certified Vegan, and eco-INSTITUT® certified
- 25-year warranty
- Handcrafted in Southern California
- Free shipping and returns
- A full 1-year sleep trial
- None that we can find. The innovative, dual-sided construction gives this mattress a unique advantage.
The Bottom Line
The Crystal Cove mattress is one of our top picks for the best latex hybrid mattress on the market.
Save $175 on Crystal Cove with code NINJA
Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress Reviews
The WinkBed: Luxury Hybrid Durability and Coolness
WinkBeds are known for their durability. The first layer is made of dual gel-foam designer pads. A micro air-spring layer sits beneath this. This helps to increase airflow and response. Under this, a lumbar support layer helps ensure your spine is properly aligned.
A fourth layer is made of wrapped coils and a perimeter support ring. A TENCEL cover encases the WinkBed layers to help ensure heat is wicked away and airflow is easy. However, the true magic is provided through the optional coolControl layer.
This technology-driven bonus level ensures coolness. How? The coolControl layer allows the sleeper to digitally program the bed’s temperature. For larger beds, each half can be set to the temperature of each partner. WinkBed comes in soft (4.5), luxury firm (6.5) and firm (7.5) options.
- WinkBeds are CertiPUR-US certified.
- These mattresses come with a 101-night trial.
- WinkBeds offer a 10-year warranty on their luxury hybrids.
- The coolControl add on offers sleepers custom temperature control.
- These mattresses are made in the USA.
- This mattress does not isolate motion well. If you are a light sleeper, this may cause problems regardless of the comfort.
- Side sleepers may have issues with the coolControl. If you happen to lay above an airflow tube, you can hear it.
The Bottom Line
Winkbed is a luxury mattress designed to keep you cool as you sleep (especially for heavier individuals). It is one of our top picks for the best hybrid mattress.
Save $200 on Winkbeds with code NINJA200
Helix Mattress: Best Customizable Hybrid
Helix offers a hybrid mattress that is perfectly tailored for you and your partner. Helix uses a custom blend of foams and micro coils to make a bed you design.
How? By taking their quick Sleep Quiz, you provide insight into your sleep habits. The quiz asks questions about your age, gender and weight. It also asks about mattress specific topics, like temperature, support, and sleeping position. You can opt for a blended technology or a dual-comfort model.
If you sleep with a partner, the blended technology combines the responses from both of you into a single mattress. If you opt for a dual-comfort model, each of your sides will be specifically tailored to your individual needs.
- Helix mattress is a truly custom sleep. It is a great solution for couples with different mattress needs.
- This is a CertiPUR-US certified hybrid mattress.
- Helix Sleep mattresses are made in the USA.
- You have a 100-night trial period with Helix Sleep.
- The Helix Sleep mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
- The edge support on your Helix sleep mattress is not the best. For those who sleep on an edge, this can be problematic.
- Depending on how different you and your partner sleep, you may notice a seam through the middle of your dual-comfort model. After all, if your partner sleeps firm and you prefer soft, there will be a difference.
- The cover is thin. This sometimes leads to bunching.
The Bottom Line
Helix offers a comfortable, versatile mattress that easily qualifies as one of the best hybrid mattresses available.
Save $200 on Helix with code NINJA200
The Bear: Best Hybrid Mattress for the Active Lifestyle
The Bear Hybrid mattress is made of a hybrid of various foams and a coil layer. It is marketed towards athletes or those with active lifestyles. The Bear Hybrid is only offered in a medium (6) firmness, which makes it ideal for side sleepers and back sleepers.
The cover includes Bear’s patented hand-quilted Celliant fiber. The second layer is made of a quick response memory foam, which allows you to sink in. Cooling graphite-gel memory foam makes up the third layer. This helps with airflow and continued pressure relief. The fourth layer is made of individually-encased innersprings.
Finally, a high-density support foam helps ensure your mattress is durable. The foam components ensure motion transfer is little to non-existent.
- Bear mattresses are made in the USA.
- The Bear Hybrid is CertiPUR-US certified.
- The Bear Hybrid comes with a 100-night trial period.
- Bear offers a 20-year limited warranty.
- The graphite-gel, Celliant cover, and innersprings help you sleep cool with the Bear Hybrid.
- Athletes and heavy-set sleepers will enjoy the medium firmness, contour, and support.
- Plenty of reviewers have remarked on Bear’s superb customer service.
- Bear believes in charity. A portion of each sale is donated to Good Sports. (This charity aims to make sports available to all children in the USA.)
- 100-night sleep trial
- The Celliant cover cannot be removed. This means you cannot easily clean it.
- While Bear does use a quick response memory foam, it is not as responsive as latex foam.
- Stomach sleepers may not enjoy the Bear Hybrid, as it is towards the firmer end of the medium scale.
The Bottom Line
Although Bear is specifically marketed to those with an active lifestyle, it’s an excellent overall mattress and a top contender for the best hybrid mattress in its class.
Save 10% on your entire order on Bear.com with code NINJA10
DreamCloud: Best Luxury Hybrid at an Exceptional Value
The DreamCloud is an eight-layer luxury hybrid crafted from the finest materials. The cashmere and polyester blend cover is breathable and soft. The second layer, a gel-infused memory foam, offers a cool contour. The soft, quilted memory foam third layer offers deep contouring. The fourth layer is made of a premium natural latex, offering more airflow, response and added contour.
High-density memory foam makes up the fifth layer. A sixth layer of super-soft memory foam ensures your spine is supported. This sits atop a seventh coil layer. These coils are part of DreamCloud’s “BestRest” patent. It includes a five-zoned foam encased micro coils for amazing support and cooling.
Finally, high-density memory foam provides a supportive base layer. The DreamCloud comes in medium-firm only with a 6.5 rating.
- For those with back pain, the DreamCloud may provide the best support possible.
- The combination of gel-infused memory foam, latex and coils makes the DreamCloud extremely cool.
- The DreamCloud is CertiPUR-US certified.
- The eight luxury layers make the DreamCloud extremely durable.
- The manufacturer truly believes in DreamCloud. They offer an “Everlong” warranty. This no-hassle warranty means your DreamCloud is under warranty throughout the entire time you own it.
- 365-night trial period.
- Off-gassing upon delivery.
- Delivery can be a bit slow.
The Bottom Line
DreamCloud is perhaps the most affordable hybrid in the luxury class, giving it a position as one of the best hybrid mattresses. See Sleeping Ninjas’ in-depth DreamCloud Mattress Review.
Save $200 on DreamCloud with code NINJA200
Avocado Green: Best Organic Latex Hybrid Mattress
The Avocado Green mattress has made our list before. As a latex hybrid, the Avocado combines both springs and natural latex in this mattress. This organic mattress has an optional pillow-top feature too.
On a firmness scale of 1 to 10, the Avocado rates a 7. This means it is considered to be “gentle firm”. If you are a stomach or back sleeper, this is an ideal sleep number. It is also ideal for sleepers who are heavier.
The regular version is 11 inches thick. This measurement includes all of the standard materials. Beneath the cover, there’s a layer of all-natural New Zealand Joma wool. This added breathability and moisture-wicking traits to the bed. A natural, hydrated silica layer creates a fire barrier under the wool. A natural 2-inch Dunlop latex layer sits just under this. Zoned 8-inch pocket coils add plenty of circulation. A final 1-inch layer of Dunlop latex provides base support.
What are “zoned” pocket coils? These are inner springs that are arranged in a way that will ergonomically support the standard body. For Avocado, this means strategically placing 1,414 individually wrapped springs throughout the layer. This gives you the ideal support where it is needed most. The 17 gauge wires centrally placed allow your hips and shoulders to sink in. The 14 gauge wires that wrap around these keep your neck and knees aligned with your spine. The 16 gauge wires that wrap around the edges of the mattress give edge sleepers the same solid support.
For added luxury, Avocado also offers an optional pillow-top feature. The 2-inch Euro-style Dunlop latex pillow top makes this version 13-inches total. Adding the pillow top gives this mattress a 6 on the firmness scale. (For side-sleepers, a 6 may help them get a better night’s rest!)
- The Avocado Green has a 25-year limited warranty. (For your first 10 years, the warranty is unlimited. However, between 11 and 25 years, the scope becomes limited.)
- Sleepers get 365 nights to test the Avocado out.
- Made in the USA.
- GOTS, eco-INSTITUT, Greenguard Gold and OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified.
- Avocado also participates in the Environmental Charity Initiative. That means they do more than just make non-toxic mattresses. They also give back 1% of their profits to help further protect our plant.
- The Avocado does a good job of isolating motion. Meaning you and your partner can keep sleeping even while the other tosses and turns.
- One user noted that they could feel the button on the Avocado’s handcrafted cover.
- With a firmness between 6 and 7, this mattress may be a bit too firm for some sleepers.
The Bottom Line:
When it comes to latex hybrid mattresses, Avocado has great features. It’s one of our team’s top picks!
What is a Hybrid Mattress?
Hybrid is a term used in the mattress industry to describe a combination of construction material. Generally, a hybrid uses innerspring coils or encased coils combined with either memory foam or latex.
In this review, we’ll separate hybrids into two categories: memory foam hybrids and latex hybrid mattresses.
Memory Foam versus Latex Hybrid Mattresses
We’ll break down these differences in more detail below the mattress reviews, but here’s a quick summary of the advantages and disadvantages of memory foam versus latex.
What is Memory Foam?
As WebMD points out, memory foam was originally created by NASA to protect pilots from crashes.
Memory is made from polyurethane, which is a composite of numerous active chemicals.
What is Latex?
Latex is actually derived from Pará rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis).
You can watch the entire labor-intensive process here.
Latex can be natural, synthetic, or a combination thereof. The two primary forms of latex are Talalay latex and Dunlop latex, which represent different manufacturing processes. We’ll cover both in more detail below.
Primary Benefits of Memory Foam
- Conforms to your body
- Initial relief for those suffering from back pain or joint problems
- Low motion transfer (so if your partner moves, you won’t likely feel it)
Drawbacks to Memory Foam
- Slow recovery time
- High toxicity (called VOCs or volatile organic compounds)
- Off-gassing smells
Primary Benefits of Natural Latex Hybrids
- Fast recovery time (resumes original shape faster)
- More bounce, elasticity, and responsiveness
- Safer for humans and more eco-friendly (that is, natural latex)
- Hypoallergenic and allergen-free (non-toxic)
Drawbacks to Latex
- Doesn’t isolate motion transfer as well as memory foam
- Can be firmer than memory foam
Memory gives you more “I’m going to hug you feeling.” Latex compresses down but doesn’t hug you the same.
If you want that sinking feeling, memory foam might be best for you. If you want a lighter feel with more bounce, latex is preferable.
The Materials in Latex Hybrid Mattresses
The best latex hybrid mattresses try to blend the best features of various types of mattresses. To better understand what they offer, let us take look at the most popular types of mattresses today.
Innerspring or Coil
Innerspring, or coil, mattresses are certainly tried and true. Innerspring mattresses have the fastest response and bounce. They are also the coolest type of mattress you can buy, which is great for hot sleepers. Innerspring mattresses tend to be on the firmer side. The number of coils in an innerspring mattress typically dictate the quality. Individually wrapped coils will be cooler than those in a large, group casing. (Although even these will be cooler than other types of mattresses.) On the negative side, however, innerspring mattresses are notorious for motion transfer. If your partner moves, or the dog jumps on the bed, you will feel it with an innerspring mattress.
A latex hybrid mattress uses a latex-based foam. They are incredibly durable. Latex sleeps cooler than memory foam. This is due to the breathable nature of the latex itself. Latex, however, does not contour as well as other mattresses. They come in varying degrees of firmness.
Gel is typically added to foam in a gel mattress. This is to help with the support system or upholstery of the mattress itself. Gel helps to distribute heat when added to the foam. This helps make it cooler than a traditional foam mattress would be expected to be. Gel mattresses, however, are still hotter than innerspring ones. Gel can be added to a mattress in various ways. A gel-pad layer may top a foam layer. Gel may also be mixed into the actual foam as it sets. Some companies add gel beads to their foam material. (Gel beads tend to be ineffective if you are seeking a cool mattress.)
Memory foam mattresses are known for their contouring support. Through their deep contour, memory foam helps relieve pressure. They are great at preventing motion transfer. They are also silent, unlike innerspring. However, they are not very responsive. They are also among the hottest mattresses on the market. Most of the best hybrid mattresses have memory foam.
What to Look for in the Best Latex Hybrid Mattress
The best latex hybrid mattress offers many benefits. However, your personal tastes affect your decision. Let us look at what features you may want to consider.
Being able to stay cool while you sleep is more important than you may realize. (In fact, your body naturally reduces heat as it enters the various stages of sleep.) For those who tend to sleep hot, stay away from memory foam in general. Memory foam is so dense that it does not allow adequate airflow. This prevents heat distribution. A combination of foam and latex (or coils) tends to be the coolest way to enjoy memory foam in a hybrid.
Hybrids are, in general, more durable than mattresses made of a single material. Innerspring, for example, tend to sag with time. Coils may even pop through unevenly and create discomfort. However, topping the coils in memory foam or latex can prevent this type of discomfort. Investing in a durable mattress can ensure you get years of use. (Most mattresses should last between 8 and 10 years. While some may last longer, they should never fail before then. On the same note, if your mattress is older than that, it may be time to consider a replacement.)
Firmness is really a personal preference. (Experts estimate that 80% of people prefer medium-firm beds. If you are unsure, most recommend you try one of these out.) The best hybrid mattresses abide by a firmness scale. For medium mattresses, this means they will be between a 5 and 6 on this scale. Extra soft mattresses, between a scale of 1 and 2, are not recommended for anyone. Soft mattresses, indicated by a 3 or 4 on the scale, are good for side sleepers. They offer a deeper contour. If your mattress is rated between 7 and 8, it is considered firm. A mattress that is 9 to 10, is extra firm. These have a limited appeal, but certain individuals may prefer them.
As you review various mattresses, you may see “CertiPUR-US certified” or “OEKO-TEX certified” listed in the descriptions. These certifications are proof the manufacture met specific standards. This includes the environment, hazardous and chemical regulation standards.
Your sleeping position affects the type of mattress you will prefer. To find the best latex hybrid mattress for you, make sure you consider your sleep position.
- Stomach sleepers tend to prefer a firmness between 5 and 7. This allows them to sink into the mattress. This accommodates for your stomach to dip in, while keeping your spine properly aligned. For lighter stomach sleepers, memory foam and latex may be the best combination. For heavier stomach sleepers, foam, latex, and coils may provide the best support.
- Side sleepers, on the other hand, typically enjoy softer mattresses. They prefer mattresses that range between 3 and 6 on the firmness scale. Soft mattresses allow for the shoulders and hips to sink in. Latex and foam may provide a side sleeper with the most comfort.
- Back sleepers are more versatile. They enjoy mattresses that range between 4 and 8 in firmness. Keeping your spine aligned is most important. Experts recommend a top layer of foam with an innerspring base.
For the most part, manufacturers offer trial periods. This means you have a certain amount of time to test the mattress. If it does not meet your expectations before the trial ends, you are typically guaranteed your money back. The average trial period is roughly 120 nights. However, trial periods will vary between manufacturers.
All of the best latex hybrid mattresses will come with a warranty. These warranties will tell you a great deal about the quality of the mattress you have bought. The average warranty is 10 years. Regardless of the warranty offered with your mattress, make sure you read it. Some warranties are offered, regardless of the state of your mattress. However, others can be voided if stains, or other issues, are evident. For this reason, most experts recommend investing in a mattress protector.
The Best Latex Hybrid Mattress – A Personal Choice
In the end, the best latex hybrid mattress is a personal choice. There are a lot of great mattresses out there. It is always important to thoroughly research any mattress you are considering purchasing. Why? Because individual reviews may provide insight that relates to your specific needs.
Given the various trial periods, however, you can try any mattress on our list risk-free.
Most of the bed-in-a-bag mattresses even come with financing options. If you are sleeping on an old, worn-out mattress, consider buying one of the best latex hybrid mattresses today.
Andrea is a professional freelance writer based out of Kentucky who has researched and reviewed over 40 major mattress brands. She digs politics, activism, and sarcasm. Andrea spent over 5 years in the medical field before deciding to follow her dreams for a lot less pay but a lot more happiness. She’s a mom to two great kids.