Summary: This unbiased, in-depth review features the best mattresses for stomach sleepers our team of Sleeping Ninjas could find throughout the land. Although ninjas don’t typically sleep on their stomachs, they do crawl on them. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
Stomach sleepers are in the minority. Only about 7% of adults sleep on their stomach with their head turned to one side or the other. Some sleepers choose this position to reduce sleep apnea, prevent snoring and others just end up on their stomachs after lots of tossing and turning.
Stomach sleeping has gotten a bad rap over the years. Many doctors consider this the worst position for the body as it disrupts the spine’s natural alignment, putting extra pressure on your back and neck.
This position also puts undue stress on your joints and muscles, leaving many stomach sleepers with numbness, tingling, and pain throughout the body.
But we tend to gravitate to our go-to-sleep position naturally; it can be a hard habit to break. Even after experimenting with different positions, most adults eventually return to their preferred way of sleeping.
The good news is the right mattress can reduce spinal misalignment and support pressure points for maximum comfort and restful sleep for all sleepers.
So for those stomach sleepers who aren’t ready to change their ways, which are the best mattresses to ease neck and back strain and wake up refreshed and pain-free every morning?
Here are some tips for choosing the best mattresses for stomach sleepers and a look at some of our favorites.
Best Mattresses for Stomach Sleepers: Our Top Picks
Here’s a quick rundown of the best mattress for stomach sleepers reviewed below:
Mattress Materials Relevant to Stomach Sleepers
For many stomach sleepers, the combination of a firm mattress with a soft top layer works well to support the body and encourage ideal spinal alignment. The top layer should be soft, but not overly soft that you feel as if you’re sinking into the mattress.
Your mattress should provide enough support to minimize misalignment caused by your sleeping position. Multi-layered foam mattresses are another good option for underlying support with soft, outer cushioning.
Most mattresses contain one or a combination of the following materials:
- Innerspring or coils: metal springs provide the primary support, coil count, shape and distribution vary from mattress to mattress
- Gel: gel can add to the support layer to dissipate heat for a cooling effect
- Latex: natural, latex foam offers fitness to accommodate all sleepers
- Memory foam: contours to the body and resists sagging
- Pillow tops: soft cushions added to the top mattress layer to give a “sinking” luxurious feeling
Stomach sleepers are more likely to experience back pain, neck pain, and nerve compression, making it especially important to invest in the right mattress. A poor-quality mattress that’s going to sag and droop after a few months can lead to severe chronic pain and decreased function and mobility.
When it comes to choosing the right firmness for your mattress, a soft to a medium-firm mattress is the best mattress type for stomach sleepers. A medium-firm mattress provides enough softness to relieve pressure off the body while still offering enough support to maintain spinal alignment.
Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
Because stomach sleepers tend to sleep with their head to one side, they are prone to neck pain and strain. The right pillow can encourage good neck elevation and reduce pressure on the cervical spine. Thick, fluffy pillows designed for back and side sleepers raise the head and neck too high.
High-density memory foam pillows work well for stomach sleepers. Stomach sleepers should always choose thinner pillows that are no more than three inches thick to keep the head and neck in good alignment with the rest of the body.
The Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers: Our Top 8 Picks
If you’re looking for the best mattress for stomach sleepers, begin your search here:
Helix: Most Customized Shopping Experience
Created by three Wharton grads, Helix brings a new level of personalized mattress design to the market without the custom price. Shoppers take a short, online sleep quiz answering questions about height, weight, sleep position, and firmness preference. From there, Helix creates a mattress based on four main qualities:
- Feel or firmness
- Point elasticity or compression
- Temperature regulation
Helix also promises that if you don’t enjoy the top layer of the mattress, they will send you a free added comfort layer to make your bed softer or firmer to suit your needs.
What’s truly unique about the Helix is that partners sharing a bed can split their individual preference right down the middle, making every side, stomach, and back sleeper happy.
- Online “sleep quiz” offers individualized mattress design.
- Offers dual-comfort, personalizing mattress on both sides for partners with different sleep needs.
- Springs are individually-wrapped and pocketed to minimize partner disruption.
- Helix donates returned mattresses when possible.
- A relatively short trial period at 100 days.
- Some users say the Helix retains heat.
- Because Helix is newer to the market, mattress durability hasn’t been fully-tested.
Helix makes one of our top picks for the best mattress for stomach sleepers.
Nectar: Best Memory Foam
Memory foam has been around for more than 50 years. First developed by Nasa in 1966 to protect astronauts during launch, memory foams use have expanded to pillows, blankets, seat cushions, and even shoes.
Memory foam is an ideal material for mattresses because it molds to the shape of the body and resumes its shape when not in use. Manufacturers often combine memory foam with other materials that help keep the body cool during sleep.
Nectar is different from other memory foam options because it is made of multiple layers, each with its own job. The top layer circulates air and pulls away heat while you’re sleeping. The middle layers contour to the body, relieve pressure and add some bounce. Nectar offers medium firmness, making it one of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Nectar offers a risk-free one-year home trial.
- These mattresses come with Full Comfort Guarantee and Forever Warranty.
- Nectar offers 6-month, no interest, low payments.
- Nectar mattresses have a bedbug resistant, cooling top layer.
- Memory foam offers little motion transfer, so you won’t be disturbed by your partner’s tossing and turning.
- Nectar mattresses are not made in America.
- Their memory foam mattresses don’t offer the lush, sinking feeling of other materials.
- New nectar mattresses have some gassing off smell for the first few days, caused by the packaging process.
Sleeping Ninjas Special Offer: Click here to get a $125 extra discount and two free pillows on your Nectar purchase.
Tuft & Needle: Best Budget-Friendly Option
Founded in 2012, Tuft & Needle created their very own trademarked polyfoam material based on customer feedback. T&N AdaptiveⓇ Foam is designed to respond to pressure with the perfect amount of support for stomach sleepers and all other positions, making it ideal for sleepers with all firmness preferences.
Maybe the best part about Tuft & Needle mattresses is the price point. Because the company cuts out the middleman and all the unnecessary mattress fillers, they’re able to offer some of the best prices around. Prices start at $325 for a twin T&N Mattress all the way up to $700 for a California King. Shipping and returns are always free.
- Tuft & Needle mattresses are designed and made in the U.S.A. with American-sourced materials.
- T&N Adaptive Foam support sleepers of all sizes.
- Tuft & Needle’s unique foam material feels more like latex than memory foam, so you won’t feel “stuck” in your mattress.
- Tuft & Needle offers a 10-year warranty on all mattresses.
- Fast shipping with the continental United States (2-5 business days.)
- Tuft & Needle mattresses don’t require a box spring.
- Ceramic cooling gel only available in the pricier Tuft & Needle Mint mattress.
- Tuft & Needle mattresses are a no-frills option, lacking some of the bells and whistles of more luxurious brands.
- Tuft & Needle mattresses are on the firmer side, missing the softness of a pillow top.
Tuft & Needle makes an excellent, all-around mattress that’s also one of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers. See also our in-depth comparison review of Tuft and Needle vs Casper mattress, Tuft and Needle vs Purple, Tuft and Needle vs Leesa.
A hybrid mattress is just what the name implies: a combination of different mattress types. Hybrids generally have a core formed of pocketed coils for bounce combined with memory foam or latex for comfort. Some hybrid mattresses also have a pillow or euro top sewn directly on to the top comfort layer.
Hybrid quality is measured by the mattress:
- Coil count: The coil count often indicates the expected lifespan of a mattress Fewer coils means your mattress won’t hold up as long as others with higher coil counts
- Density: how much compression the mattress can handle while still supporting the body
- Gauge: The measurement of how thick the support coils are that form the bed’s core.
- Indentation load deflection: ILD is the firmness of the mattress. Stomach sleepers should look for higher ILDs
The Bear Hybrid touts itself as the “Luxury Hybrid” mattress, using innovative, high-quality materials to provide excellent support, reduce heat, increase cooling, and encourage airflow for a restorative night’s sleep. An excellent mattress for stomach sleepers.
- Bear gives a portion of each sale to Good Sports, a non-profit dedicated to helping kids stay active and healthy.
- The Bear Hybrid utilizes Celliant FDA Determined yarn technology that’s been clinically proven to increase tissue oxygen levels for better overall health and wellness.
- The Bear Hybrid reduces motion transfer to prevent partner disturbance.
- Bear has a mandatory 30-day trial period before returns will be accepted.
- The Bear Hybrid only offers one firmness which is closest to medium.
- The Bear Hybrid is on the pricier side of our list.
The Bear is an excellent pick for the best mattress for stomach sleepers.
Special Sleeping Ninja Deal: $200 off the purchase of a Bear Hybrid with code LD200
Nuvanna: Great for Keeping Cool
Anyone who’s ever loaded up on extra blankets in the middle of the night or woken up soaked in sweat knows how hard it can be to find the ideal temperature for sleeping. Those crazy temperature fluctuations while you sleep actually serve an important biological function.
Your body’s internal temperature rises and falls during sleep in time with your circadian rhythms, telling your body when to go to sleep and when to wake up. If those rising temperatures are waking you up at night, consider choosing a mattress designed to keep you cool.
The Nuvanna mattress contains three layers. The bottom, foam support layer cradles each body-part individually to relieve pressure and prevent back pain. The middle layer absorbs motion so you won’t disrupt your partner when you move throughout the night.
Every Nuvanna mattress is topped with state-of-the-art gel particles that disperse heat to keep you cool. The material covering the mattress absorbs moisture and pull it away from the body for added comfort during those warm nights.
- Nuvanna mattresses come with a 10-year warranty.
- Nuvanna mattresses are made in the U.S.A.
- After unpacking the Nuvanna mattress, they only take moments to fully expand.
- The Nuvanna mattress cover is soft, eco-friendly, and bacteria-resistant
- The firmness and support are good for all sleepers.
- Nuvanna mattresses only offer one level of firmness, though the company says mattresses respond to every body size and type.
- Nuvanna mattresses do require a box spring or “foundation” and the company recommends their own for the best fit.
- The Nuvanna 100 day trial period is shorter than some other mattress companies.
Casper: Best for Good Spinal Alignment
Casper’s trademark Hyper-Targeted Support technology provides 36 points of support to distribute pressure evenly across the body for good circulation and a restful night’s sleep. The Casper is designed to conform to the body’s natural curves and maintain the spine’s natural alignment.
Casper does recommend purchasing their foundation and metal frame for best results, making your investment a bit more costly.
Casper offers their own signature 4-layer foam combination topped with an extra super-sensitive upper layer makes it one of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers. Many faithful Casper users say the mattress has alleviated numbness, back, and body pain for good.
- Casper offers financing with as low as 0% APR.
- Casper has Hyper-Targeted Support™ for optimal pressure point relief.
- Open-cell foams divert heat to keep hot sleepers cool and comfortable.
- Offers 5 layers of foam technology – each with its own function.
- Casper may be the most expensive mattress on our list, with a Queen coming in close to $2,000.
- Casper mattresses lack hand grips, making handling difficult.
- Casper mattresses are best for sleepers of average height and weight. It may not provide enough support for heavier sleepers.
Casper is a popular and solid mattress—a worthy candidate for the best mattress for stomach sleepers. See also Leesa vs Casper Mattress: A Comparison Review.
DreamCloud: Suitable for Stomach Sleepers (and Everyone Else)
The DreamCloud is another luxury hybrid mattress good for all sleeping positions. The DreamCloud offers an impressive eight different layers, the only one of its kind. Layers of several different types of foam are designed to provide all-over support, cool the body and cradle the spine.
Foam-covered coils cushion the entire body and natural, hypoallergenic latex provides a little bounce. DreamCloud also offers their own Truetufted™ cashmere polyester blend cover for ultimate luxury. The DreamCloud’s quick responsiveness allows partners to move around easily without disturbing each other.
- At 15”, the DreamCloud is one of the tallest mattresses on the market.
- DreamCloud offers a full year risk-free trial period.
- DreamCloud guarantees the construction, durability, quality, and materials of the mattress for the original owner forever.
- The DreamCloud is CertiPUR-US® Certified free from harmful levels of dangerous chemical and toxins.
- Because of its size, the DreamCloud may not fit every bed frame.
- The DreamCloud cover is not removable for cleaning, though the company does offer one professional cleaning per year.
- The DreamCloud hybrid is also one of the more expensive mattresses we reviewed.
This luxury hybrid provides a comfortable night’s sleep as one of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
Sleeping Ninjas Specia Offer: Get $200 off your Dream Cloud purchase by clicking here.
See Sleeping Ninjas’ in-depth Dream Cloud Mattress Review.
Eco Terra: Good for the Environment (and Stomach Sleepers)
The Eco Terra latex mattress is another luxury hybrid, but with some notable environmentally-friendly qualities. The EcoTerra’s comfort comes from three inches of all-natural Talalay latex.
Latex is a naturally-occurring material made from a substance produced by a certain type of rubber tree. Latex is a chemical-free, renewable substance that is soft, durable, and bouncy – the perfect material for mattresses.
The Eco Terra’s cover is made from 100% organic cotton and unlike many other products, the Eco Terra has no off-gassing upon unboxing. The fabric-encased coils contain no harmful additives or fillers.
Even the flame-retardants on the Eco Terra are eco-friendly. Instead of chemical fire retardants, Eco Terra uses plant-based fibers and silica. This is a great choice for eco-conscious families looking for the best mattress for stomach sleepers.
- The Eco Terra offers two levels of firmness: medium and medium-firm.
- The Eco Terra offers a 15-year limited warranty.
- Eco Terra mattresses are designed and handmade in the U.S.A.
- The Eco Terra is good for all sleepers.
- Eco Terr’s 90-day trial period is somewhat shorter than other mattress companies.
- Eco Terra asks customers to try the mattress for at least 30 days before they will issue a refund.
- The edge support is not as impressive as some other luxury hybrid mattresses.
Eco Terra is an excellent all-around mattress that’s well-suited to be the best mattress for stomach sleepers.
This mattress is also listed as one of our top picks for the best organic mattress.
How to Select the Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
So what’s the best mattress for stomach sleepers?
While back sleepers and side sleepers can do well with most well-designed mattresses, to find the best mattress for stomach sleepers, you need to do a bit more research before making a decision. Without just the right amount of support and softness, you can overextend your lower back and while not relieving pressure off your chest and stomach.
Stomach sleepers should look for mattresses with soft to medium firmness. The mattresses on our list offer the comfort and cushion stomach sleepers needs and are ideal back and side sleepers who may share the bed.
The best way to meet your match is to try it out. With no-risk trial periods and free returns, finding the right mattress pretty much a guarantee.