Summary: This unbiased, in-depth review features the best mattress toppers for back pain our team of Sleeping Ninjas could find on the market. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, our mattress just doesn’t support us the way that we need it to.
Especially if you’re one to suffer from chronic back pain it can definitely be difficult to find a mattress that alleviates your pain.
Oftentimes, a good, high-quality topper is all you need to rejuvenate an older mattress or finally offer you the relief you’ve been searching for.
But, we do understand that the shopping process to find the best mattress topper for back pain can be a bit of a hassle.
That’s why we’ve compiled a complete buyer’s guide to what we think are the best mattress toppers for back pain to help you determine which product will best fit your needs.
Okay, let’s begin.
Our Staff’s Top Picks
Over 45 toppers were considered by our staff for this review. Here are our top two picks for mattress toppers for back pain:
Best Mattress topper for Back Pain
Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain
The Best Mattress Toppers For Back Pain
Here’s a quick look at the best mattress toppers for back pain we’ve included in our buyer’s guide:
- Lift by Amerisleep
- Avocado Green Topper
- Milliard Gel Memory Foam Topper
- Keetsa Luxurious Comfort Layer
- ViscoSoft Dual Layer Gel Infused Mattress Topper
- Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Topper
- Latex for Less 3″ Topper
Now, let’s dive in and take a closer look …
Lift by Amerisleep
Amerisleep has been making excellent mattresses for over a decade. So when they released their Lift mattress topper, it’s no surprise that it exceeds expectations. This thoughtfully-designed mattress topper has everything you’d look in a top performer. And, Amerisleep’s design is ideal for anyone suffering from back, hip, or shoulder pain.
You have two comfort options to choose from: Comfort Lift and Support Lift. The Comfort Lift uses Amerisleep’s Bio-Pur material designed to provide extra cushion. Unlike traditional memory foam, Bio-Pur responds quickly and returns to its regular form. (This is important if you tend to move around a lot.) The Support Lift uses Amerisleep’s Affinity material, which provides a firmer surface.
Lift uses Harnessing Intelligent Ventilation and Energy (or HIVE) technology to provide targeted support and reduce pressure points by up to 49%.
Finally, Lift uses a high-tech fabric called Celliant for its cover. Celliant is an FDA-determined material that safely turns body heat into infrared energy. So when your muscles absorb this energy, it temporally increases blood flow (which supports a more restful sleep).
- Free shipping and free returns
- Celliant cover to promote blood flow
- Pressure-relieve HIVE technology that reduces pressure-point pain
- Five comfort zones created by the HIVE design
- Sleeps cool
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Made in the USA
- MicroGrip technology so the topper won’t move around while you sleep
- Two firmness options
- 20-year warranty
- 100-night sleep trial
- Twin – $199
- Twin XL – $249
- Full – $279
- Queen – $299
- King – $349
- California King – $349
The Bottom Line
Lift by Amerisleep is a strong contender for the best mattress topper for back pain. It’s designed to promote increased blood flow and reduce pain from pressure points. Its responsive foam retains its shape and keeps you cool while you sleep.
Avocado Green Organic Latex Mattress Topper
Avocado Green is one of our Sleeping Ninja staff’s favorite brands. Not only do they use all certified organic ingredients in their mattresses and toppers, but they are meticulous in their product designs.
The drawback to most toppers that use memory foam is that they’re not responsive. Meaning, you sink into them and they provide that “hugging” feeling, but they don’t bounce back and retain their original shape quickly. Natural latex, in contrast, is highly responsive and bounces back quickly. And for many individuals struggling with back pain or shoulder pain, it can be a preferable option.
And the Avocado Green Mattress Topper is outstanding. Two-inches of sustainably-sourced organic latex rubber form the base. A layer of organic, ethically-sourced wool provides extra cushion, thermoregulation (keeps you cool), air circulation, and moisture removal. A thick, quilted, and removable GOTS-certified organic cotton canvas cover enables you to adjust the latex while keeping the topper firmly in place.
- Free shipping and free returns
- GOTS certified organic wool
- GOTS certified organic cotton
- GOTS certified organic latex rubber
- OEKO-TEK Standard 100 and Greenguard Gold certified
- 100% chemical-free and non-toxic
- Available in two firmness options: plush and firm
- Handmade in the USA
- 10-year warranty
- 1-year sleep trial
- Twin -$349
- Twin XL – $349
- Full – $349
- Queen – $449
- King – $549
- California King – $549
The Bottom Line
The Avocado Green Mattress Topper is one of the finest toppers available on the market. If you’re looking for one of the best toppers for back pain, we recommend going with the “plush” of this topper.
Milliard Gel Memory Foam Topper
The Milliard gel memory foam topper made our list for the best mattress topper for back pain because it’s designed with top-notch comfort in mind. This topper is constructed with 2 inches of luxurious, high-quality 100% gel memory foam.
This memory foam material construction allows users to reap all the benefits you’ve come to expect from memory foam. It’s designed to gently contour around every individual body shape and size – relieving pressure points, molding around joints and problem areas, and alleviates soreness, muscle pain, and arthritis symptoms.
The Milliard topper features a 2.5-pound density that surpasses all of the other memory foam mattress toppers in its class. This ideal density level prevents the topper from sagging, flattening, or losing its shape over time – making for a more durable and comfortable sleeping surface.
Millard guarantees that their mattress will relieve back pain, soreness, and stiffness without retaining heat or cause users to sleep too hot. Their memory foam features a unique open-cell formula and an infusion of gel beads that allows for adequate ventilation, airflow, and breathability as well as regulates the temperature of the topper’s surface.
Their mattress topper is constructed from high-grade Certi-PUR US Certified foams and is naturally hypoallergenic and anti-microbial for a healthier sleep. Plus, it comes with a free, super-soft bamboo fiber cover that features a non-slip bottom to prevent the mattress topper from shifting around through the night.
- The complimentary Millard mattress topper cover is removable and machine washable
- The Milliard mattress topper can completely rejuvenate an older mattress for a fraction of the cost
- Milliard claims that their mattress topper can greatly improve your overall quality of sleep instantly
- This topper is hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and resistant to dust mites, allergens, mold, and bacteria – making it a great option for asthma or allergy sufferers
- Milliard has perfected the density of their topper to ensure utmost durability
- The Milliard mattress topper can take up to 96-hours for it to fully decompress and be ready for use
- This topper is compressed for shipment and can have a very noticeable odor upon breaking the seal which can take a few days or up to a few weeks to fully dissipate
- Some users feel that this topper is a little too soft and doesn’t provide necessary support
The prices of the Milliard gel memory foam mattress topper are as follows:
- Twin – $67.99
- Full – $94.99
- Queen – $104.99
- King – $119.99
When you’re searching for the best mattress for back pain, the Milliard is a great option to consider. The memory foam construction allows for a level of pressure and joint pain relief that you’re unlikely to find in any other material. Plus, the Milliard offers a few other added benefits such as temperature regulation and a plush, washable non-slip cover.
Keetsa Luxurious Comfort Layer
When it comes to the best mattress topper for back pain, Keetsa certainly has their customer’s comfort first in mind. The Keetsa Comfort Layer is constructed with 2-inches of memory BioFoam, a down-like fiberfill, and a silky-soft Hemp blend cover.
Their layer of BioFoam is essentially just memory foam that’s had a portion of the synthetic materials replaced with natural plant oils – this reduces the use of chemicals and harmful toxins and allows for a mattress topper that’s healthier for you and the environment. This layer is designed to provide the unsurpassed joint cradling and pressure relief of memory foam while ensuring that your body is still supported in all the necessary places.
The top layer of the Keetsa comfort layer is filled with a down-like fiber. This ensures that your body rests against a super-plush, luxurious surface while the memory foam underneath guarantees that you’re supported. This fiber filling also works to quickly wick away heat and moisture and increase overall airflow and breathability to ensure that you’re always kept cool.
Keetsa then wraps their topper up in a quilted Hemp blend cover. This cover is constructed with only Standard 100 by OEKO – TEX certified materials and add an extra touch of luxury and unsurpassed softness.
- Keetsa offers free shipping within the continental US and most areas of Canada
- All materials used in the construction of the Keetsa Comfort Layer are Certi-PUR US Certified as well as independently tested
- The Keetsa company offer to finance the purchase of their product through Affirm
- Users claim that the addition of the Keeta Comfort Layer has greatly reduced or even completely eliminated their back pain, soreness, and stiffness
- Reviewers have complained that the off-gassing odor is very pungent and even fills their home with the smell
- It takes 7-10 days for the Keetsa topper to arrive, but you can contact the company to arrange for a faster delivery
- Some users did find it a little too soft or plush for their liking
The prices of the Keetsa luxurious comfort layer are as follows:
- Twin – $265
- Full – $285
- Queen – $310
- King – $350
- California King – $350
If you’re looking for the best mattress topper for back pain that will add an extra level of luxury and plushness, then the Keetsa Comfort Layer is a great option for you. Its BioFoam construction allows for support and perfect contouring while it’s layer of down-like filling and ultra-soft Hemp cover adds an extra level of pure indulgence.
The ViscoSoft Full Luxury mattress topper features a down alternative top layer, a gel swirl memory foam bottom layer, a 100% cotton cover, and a stretch fabric skirt – all coming together to make it a great addition to our search for the best mattress topper for back pain.
The bottom of the ViscoSoft mattress topper is constructed with 2.5” of high-density, gel-infused memory foam. This layer of the topper is designed to provide unsurpassed joint cradling and pressure relief to help alleviate soreness, stiffness, and back pain. The gel infusion also ensures that you sleep cool as well as comfortable.
Above the memory foam is a down-alternative quilted cover that provides a top-notch, 5-star luxury feel. The 1.5” of down-like material gives the topper a super plush feel against the bottom to ensure that you’re getting that “ahhh” feeling upon lying on your bed without having to sacrifice any necessary support. It’s then wrapped in a 100%, 300 thread count woven cotton cover.
The cover is naturally hypoallergenic and machine washable to increase hygiene and also features super-strong elastic straps to ensure that the mattress topper never slips around underneath you and fits snuggly on mattresses up to 18” tall.
- The included cover is hypoallergenic and machine washable for allergy relief and added hygiene
- The cover of the ViscoSoft features super-strong elastic bands, allowing the topper to fit mattresses up to 18” thick
- The ViscoSoft company offers a 60-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year limited warranty
- The user heavier weight memory foam in the construction of their topper to ensure high quality and durability
- ViscoSoft has designed their topper to greatly reduce motion transference for a more peaceful night’s sleep
- ViscoSoft recommends allowing a full 24-48 hours for your topper to fully expand
- The ViscoSoft topper does have a noticeable off-gassing odor, but it should dissipate fully in a day or two
- Reviewers claim that this topper isn’t great for side-sleepers
- If you opt to return the mattress within the 60-day period, you’re responsible for shipping the product back – and according to reviewers it’s very difficult to get back in the box
The ViscoSoft mattress topper prices are as follows:
- Twin – $289.97
- Twin XL – $129.99
- Full – $149.99
- Queen – $174.99
- King – $199.99
- California King – $199.99
The ViscoSoft Full Luxury definitely earned its spot on our list of the best mattress toppers for back pain. The topper promises unsurpassed pain relief, temperature regulation, and reduced motion transference to make for an all-around peaceful and comfortable sleeping experience.
The Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Topper features 3 inches of 100% Tempur material – 80% Polyester and 20% Propylene. It made our list for the best mattress topper for back pain because it’s been specifically designed to provide all of the best benefits you’ve come to expect from the Tempurpedic name. That means unsurpassed joint cradling, pressure relief, and overall luxurious comfort that you just can’t match anywhere else.
The TEMPUR-Topper is designed to work with an existing mattress to improve the quality and feel of the bed, or work alone as a travel mattress for camping, RV’s, or even guests – places or situations that a full-size bed would be impractical. The TEMPUR-Topper also features a dust mite and allergen resistant cover that’s removable and washable.
- The TEMPUR-Topper is a great option for camping, RV’s, or guests – situations where a full-size mattress isn’t ideal
- The cover is removeble, machine washable, and dust mite and allergen resistant
- Tempurpedic makes their mattress toppers completely in the USA
- Tons of reviewers claim that this mattress topper has greatly reduced or even completely eliminated their back pain
- The Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Topper is covered by a 10-year limited warranty
- Some users have complained that shipping took far too long
- Many reviewers have noted that the product arrived damaged
- You are responsible for returning the topper if it’s unsatisfactory – which can be a huge hassle
The prices of the Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Topper are as follows:
- Twin – $203
- Twin XL – $279.99
- Full – $251.99
- Queen – $329.99
- King – $448.99
- California King – $449.99
If you’re willing to spend a bit more for the best mattress topper for back pain, then the Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Topper is a great option to consider. It alleviates pain, stiffness, and soreness in a way that only the Tempurpedic brand can. But, it certainly is on the more expensive end of the spectrum.
The Latex For Less Topper
The Latex For Less Topper is a great option to consider when you find yourself searching for the best mattress for back pain. Latex For Less ensures that their topper is healthy for you and the environment. Their topper is made from only high-quality, single-sourced, 100% natural latex. There are absolutely no fillers, synthetics, or chemicals and all of their material is Certi-PUR US, OEKO-TEX, and Eco-Intitut Certified.
The Latex For Less Topper is available in a 2 or 3-inch thickness and has been specifically designed to provide users with ultra-soft, relaxing pressure relief and just the right amount of relieving support. Their natural latex provides unequivocal weight distribution to ensure you’re getting luxurious pressure relief and gentle support in all the right places.
Because their topper is constructed with nothing but 100% all-natural latex, the product is super resilient and durable. Latex For Less guarantees that their topper will never sag or break down and will always quickly return to its original shape. Plus, again thanks to the all-natural latex construction, you’ll never be subjected to harsh chemicals smells or off-gassing odors.
- Latex For Less offers free shipping on their product
- Latex For Less only uses single-origin latex for their toppers to ensure quality and uniformity
- All materials used in the Latex For Less topper are OEKO-TEX Certified (for latex) and GOTS Certified Organic (for cotton)
- Because the Latex For Less topper is made of completely natural, single-sourced materials there are no off-gassing odors
- Latex For Less allows you to adjust the firmness level of your topper to fit your specific needs
- Extra amenities such as added height, comfort level, or the cotton covering are an additional cost
- Latex For Less considers their topper a personal bedding item and does not accept returns
- If you opt-out of the additional over, the topper can have a tendency to slip around
- The topper is a bit on the heavy side and can be difficult to maneuver when setting up
The prices of the Latex For Less mattress topper are as follows:
- Twin – $144
- Twin XL – $154
- Full – $194
- Queen – $189
- King – $239
- California King – $239
It is important to note that the prices of the Latex For Less topper increase with each added amenity. The addition of their cotton cover adds $49 to the overall price no matter the size. The 3-inch option is more expensive than the 2″ and the price goes up with added firmness as well.
If you’re looking for the best mattress topper for back pain that’s also healthy for you and safe for the environment, then the Latex For Less topper is the perfect option for you. This topper provides all the necessary support and comfort to alleviate chronic back pain while remaining completely natural. But, unfortunately, all the extra amenities do come at an extra cost.
So, What’s The Best Mattress Topper For Back Pain For You?
Ultimately, everyone is different. Every individual body has different needs and what works for one may not necessarily work for the other. That’s the beauty of individuality, after all! The important thing is that you do your research thoroughly and understand your own body’s specific needs.
But, no matter your list of specific criteria, if you’re looking for the best mattress toppers for back pain, there are a few things you’ll want to guarantee:
- Make sure that the topper will offer adequate support – a too-soft surface may feel comfortable at first but can lead to more pain and soreness in the end
- Look for something with memory foam or memory foam-like material – this will offer body contouring and cradling that will help relieve symptoms in problem areas
- Make sure that your topper is a decent thickness – too thick can cause you to sink too deeply into the mattress while a too-thin topper won’t provide all the necessary benefits
We’ve made sure to include all the important details of every product in our complete buyer’s guide to help you find the best mattress toppers for back pain for you.
Read Related Reviews
Andrea is a professional freelance writer based out of Kentucky who has researched and reviewed over 40 major mattress brands. She digs politics, activism, and sarcasm. Andrea spent over 5 years in the medical field before deciding to follow her dreams for a lot less pay but a lot more happiness. She’s a mom to two great kids.