Summary: This unbiased, in-depth review features the best mattress toppers for back pain our team of Sleeping Ninjas could find on the market. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, our mattress just doesn’t support us the way that we need it to. Especially if you’re one to suffer from chronic back pain it can definitely be difficult to find a mattress that alleviates your pain without breaking your bank. But, before you go taking out a second mortgage to finance a new mattress, it’s certainly worth considering purchasing a new mattress topper instead.
Oftentimes, a good, high-quality topper is all you need to rejuvenate an older mattress or finally offer you the relief you’ve been searching for. And mattress toppers are, of course, considerably cheaper than a brand-new mattress.
But, we do understand that the shopping process to find the best mattress topper for back pain can be a bit of a hassle. That’s why we’ve compiled a complete buyer’s guide to what we think are the 7 best mattress toppers for back pain to help you determine which product will best fit your needs.
The Best Mattress Toppers For Back Pain
Here’s a quick look at the 7 best mattress toppers for back pain we’ve included in our buyer’s guide:
- Milliard Gel Memory Foam Topper
- Keetsa Luxurious Comfort Layer
- ViscoSoft Full Luxury Dual Layer Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Topper
- Lucid 5-Zone Lavender Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Serenia Sleep 3-Inch Gel Memory Foam 7-Zone Convoluted Topper
- Latex for Less 3″ Topper
Milliard Gel Memory Foam Topper
The Milliard gel memory foam topper made our list for the best mattress topper for back pain because it’s designed with top-notch comfort in mind. This topper is constructed with 2 inches of luxurious, high-quality 100% gel memory foam.
This memory foam material construction allows users to reap all the benefits you’ve come to expect from memory foam. It’s designed to gently contour around every individual body shape and size – relieving pressure points, molding around joints and problem areas, and alleviates soreness, muscle pain, and arthritis symptoms.
The Milliard topper features a 2.5-pound density that surpasses all of the other memory foam mattress toppers in its class. This ideal density level prevents the topper from sagging, flattening, or losing its shape over time – making for a more durable and comfortable sleeping surface.
Millard guarantees that their mattress will relieve back pain, soreness, and stiffness without retaining heat or cause users to sleep too hot. Their memory foam features a unique open-cell formula and an infusion of gel beads that allows for adequate ventilation, airflow, and breathability as well as regulates the temperature of the topper’s surface.
Their mattress topper is constructed from high-grade Certi-PUR US Certified foams and is naturally hypoallergenic and anti-microbial for a healthier sleep. Plus, it comes with a free, super-soft bamboo fiber cover that features a non-slip bottom to prevent the mattress topper from shifting around through the night.
- The complimentary Millard mattress topper cover is removable and machine washable
- The Milliard mattress topper can completely rejuvenate an older mattress for a fraction of the cost
- Milliard claims that their mattress topper can greatly improve your overall quality of sleep instantly
- This topper is hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and resistant to dust mites, allergens, mold, and bacteria – making it a great option for asthma or allergy sufferers
- Milliard has perfected the density of their topper to ensure utmost durability
- The Milliard mattress topper can take up to 96-hours for it to fully decompress and be ready for use
- This topper is compressed for shipment and can have a very noticeable odor upon breaking the seal which can take a few days or up to a few weeks to fully dissipate
- Some users feel that this topper is a little too soft and doesn’t provide necessary support
The prices of the Milliard gel memory foam mattress topper are as follows:
- Twin – $67.99
- Full – $94.99
- Queen – $104.99
- King – $119.99
When you’re searching for the best mattress for back pain, the Milliard is a great option to consider. The memory foam construction allows for a level of pressure and joint pain relief that you’re unlikely to find in any other material. Plus, the Milliard offers a few other added benefits such as temperature regulation and a plush, washable non-slip cover.
Keetsa Luxurious Comfort Layer
When it comes to the best mattress topper for back pain, Keetsa certainly has their customer’s comfort first in mind. The Keetsa Comfort Layer is constructed with 2-inches of memory BioFoam, a down-like fiberfill, and a silky-soft Hemp blend cover.
Their layer of BioFoam is essentially just memory foam that’s had a portion of the synthetic materials replaced with natural plant oils – this reduces the use of chemicals and harmful toxins and allows for a mattress topper that’s healthier for you and the environment. This layer is designed to provide the unsurpassed joint cradling and pressure relief of memory foam while ensuring that your body is still supported in all the necessary places.
The top layer of the Keetsa comfort layer is filled with a down-like fiber. This ensures that your body rests against a super-plush, luxurious surface while the memory foam underneath guarantees that you’re supported. This fiber filling also works to quickly wick away heat and moisture and increase overall airflow and breathability to ensure that you’re always kept cool.
Keetsa then wraps their topper up in a quilted Hemp blend cover. This cover is constructed with only Standard 100 by OEKO – TEX certified materials and add an extra touch of luxury and unsurpassed softness.
- Keetsa offers free shipping within the continental US and most areas of Canada
- All materials used in the construction of the Keetsa Comfort Layer are Certi-PUR US Certified as well as independently tested
- The Keetsa company offer to finance the purchase of their product through Affirm
- Users claim that the addition of the Keeta Comfort Layer has greatly reduced or even completely eliminated their back pain, soreness, and stiffness
- Reviewers have complained that the off-gassing odor is very pungent and even fills their home with the smell
- It takes 7-10 days for the Keetsa topper to arrive, but you can contact the company to arrange for a faster delivery
- Some users did find it a little too soft or plush for their liking
The prices of the Keetsa luxurious comfort layer are as follows:
- Twin – $265
- Full – $285
- Queen – $310
- King – $350
- California King – $350
If you’re looking for the best mattress topper for back pain that will add an extra level of luxury and plushness, then the Keetsa Comfort Layer is a great option for you. Its BioFoam construction allows for support and perfect contouring while it’s layer of down-like filling and ultra-soft Hemp cover adds an extra level of pure indulgence.
ViscoSoft Full Luxury Dual Layer Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The ViscoSoft Full Luxury mattress topper features a down alternative top layer, a gel swirl memory foam bottom layer, a 100% cotton cover, and a stretch fabric skirt – all coming together to make it a great addition to our search for the best mattress topper for back pain.
The bottom of the ViscoSoft mattress topper is constructed with 2.5” of high-density, gel-infused memory foam. This layer of the topper is designed to provide unsurpassed joint cradling and pressure relief to help alleviate soreness, stiffness, and back pain. The gel infusion also ensures that you sleep cool as well as comfortable.
Above the memory foam is a down-alternative quilted cover that provides a top-notch, 5-star luxury feel. The 1.5” of down-like material gives the topper a super plush feel against the bottom to ensure that you’re getting that “ahhh” feeling upon lying on your bed without having to sacrifice any necessary support. It’s then wrapped in a 100%, 300 thread count woven cotton cover.
The cover is naturally hypoallergenic and machine washable to increase hygiene and also features super-strong elastic straps to ensure that the mattress topper never slips around underneath you and fits snuggly on mattresses up to 18” tall.
- The included cover is hypoallergenic and machine washable for allergy relief and added hygiene
- The cover of the ViscoSoft features super-strong elastic bands, allowing the topper to fit mattresses up to 18” thick
- The ViscoSoft company offers a 60-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year limited warranty
- The user heavier weight memory foam in the construction of their topper to ensure high quality and durability
- ViscoSoft has designed their topper to greatly reduce motion transference for a more peaceful night’s sleep
- ViscoSoft recommends allowing a full 24-48 hours for your topper to fully expand
- The ViscoSoft topper does have a noticeable off-gassing odor, but it should dissipate fully in a day or two
- Reviewers claim that this topper isn’t great for side-sleepers
- If you opt to return the mattress within the 60-day period, you’re responsible for shipping the product back – and according to reviewers it’s very difficult to get back in the box
The ViscoSoft full luxury dual layer gel infused mattress topper prices are as follows:
- Twin – $289.97
- Twin XL – $129.99
- Full – $149.99
- Queen – $174.99
- King – $199.99
- California King – $199.99
The ViscoSoft Full Luxury definitely earned its spot on our list of the best mattress toppers for back pain. The topper promises unsurpassed pain relief, temperature regulation, and reduced motion transference to make for an all-around peaceful and comfortable sleeping experience.
The Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Topper features 3 inches of 100% Tempur material – 80% Polyester and 20% Propylene. It made our list for the best mattress topper for back pain because it’s been specifically designed to provide all of the best benefits you’ve come to expect from the Tempurpedic name. That means unsurpassed joint cradling, pressure relief, and overall luxurious comfort that you just can’t match anywhere else.
The TEMPUR-Topper is designed to work with an existing mattress to improve the quality and feel of the bed, or work alone as a travel mattress for camping, RV’s, or even guests – places or situations that a full-size bed would be impractical. The TEMPUR-Topper also features a dust mite and allergen resistant cover that’s removable and washable.
- The TEMPUR-Topper is a great option for camping, RV’s, or guests – situations where a full-size mattress isn’t ideal
- The cover is removeble, machine washable, and dust mite and allergen resistant
- Tempurpedic makes their mattress toppers completely in the USA
- Tons of reviewers claim that this mattress topper has greatly reduced or even completely eliminated their back pain
- The Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Topper is covered by a 10-year limited warranty
- Some users have complained that shipping took far too long
- Many reviewers have noted that the product arrived damaged
- You are responsible for returning the topper if it’s unsatisfactory – which can be a huge hassle
The prices of the Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Topper are as follows:
- Twin – $203
- Twin XL – $279.99
- Full – $251.99
- Queen – $329.99
- King – $448.99
- California King – $449.99
If you’re willing to spend a bit more for the best mattress topper for back pain, then the Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Topper is a great option to consider. It alleviates pain, stiffness, and soreness in a way that only the Tempurpedic brand can. But, it certainly is on the more expensive end of the spectrum.
Lucid 5-Zone Lavender Memory Foam Mattress Topper
We certainly think that the Lucid 5-zone memory foam topper deserves its spot on our reviews of the best mattress toppers for back pain. The Lucid mattress topper is a 2-inch thick memory foam option with 5 individual body zones to optimize comfort and support.
The memory foam used in the Lucid topper is designed to be luxuriously soft, and super airy and responsive to perfectly alleviate back pain, stiffness, and soreness. It also features 5 unique zones that provide optimal pressure reduction and gentle support in all the right places – this helps to reduce tossing and turning throughout the night, leading to a far more peaceful night’s sleep.
In addition to their relaxing memory foam material, the Lucid mattress topper also features a calming lavender infusion. Lavender is known for its soothing effect and this infusion ensures that your Lucid topper will have a fresh, calming smell in lieu of the typical, chemical-like off-gassing odor that’s common in most foam products.
- Lucid protects your purchase with a 3-year limited warranty
- The lavender infusion is said to increase overall relaxation and quality of sleep
- The Lucid topper comes directly from the manufacturer, allowing for better prices
- The Lucid topper ships with a handy opener to make quick work out of the packaging
- Users claim that the Lucid topper actually fits their mattress dimensions perfectly
- The lavender smell infused into the Lucid mattress topper can be quite strong upon opening
- Some customers have noticed that the purple hue of the mattress topper leeches onto their sheets and clothing
- The Lucid mattress topper is made from a soft material and has a tendency to rip easily
- Customers complain that the topper does not last long – breaking down beyond use in as little as a few months
The prices of the Lucid 5-zone lavender memory foam mattress topper are as follows:
- Twin – $34.99
- Twin XL – $36.99
- Full – $44.99
- Full XL – $46.99
- Queen – $48.93
- King – $57.99
- California King – $67.86
When it comes to the best mattress topper for back pain, we feel like the Lucid 5-zone memory foam mattress topper is a great option. The Lucid topper features 5 unique zones to ensure that you’re getting the best in comfort and support in all the right areas of the body and the lavender infusion adds an extra, indulgent and calming touch.
Serenia Sleep 3-Inch Gel Memory Foam 7-Zone Convoluted Topper
We may have just saved the best mattress topper for back pain for last. The Serenia Sleep memory foam mattress topper is constructed with high-quality gel memory foam to guarantee that you’re getting the very best in comfort and support.
Serenia Sleep has designed their topper to provide just the right amount of give – allowing the material to contour perfectly to your body, alleviating pack and pressure, while still remaining firm and supportive enough to prevent you from sinking into the surface. It disperses weight evenly throughout the surface to greatly reduce motion transference, improve circulation in the body, rejuvenate tired muscles, and relieve back pain.
The topper is also reversible, lightweight, naturally dust mite resistant and antimicrobial, and adjusts to your body’ temperature in real time to ensure that you’re never left sleeping too hot. Plus, the Serenia Sleep topper features 7 individual body zones to guarantee that you’re getting the right amount of support and softness in all the right places.
- The 7-zoned patter of the Serenia Sleep topper allows for softness and support in all the correct areas
- The Serenia Sleep topper provides comfort and support as well as temperature control
- The topper can be used with the convoluted side facing up or down based on your softness preferences
- The Serenia Sleep is naturally dust mite resistant and antimicrobial
- The Serenia Sleep topper is not returnable once the packaging has been opened
- Some consumers claim that this topper is very soft – making it great if your original mattress is too firm, but can cause problems if it’s already on the softer side
- The mattress topper needs approximately 72 hours to fully decompress
The prices of the Serenia Sleep 3-inch gel memory foam 7-zone convoluted topper are as follows:
- Twin – $79.99
- Full – $89.99
- Queen – $99.99
- King – $114.99
When it comes to finding the best mattress topper for back pain, we definitely think that the Serenia Sleep 7-zone topper is a fantastic option. It’s been perfectly designed to provide plush softness without sacrificing crucial support and features 7 individual zones to reduce tossing and turning and allow for a peaceful night’s sleep.
The Latex For Less Topper
The Latex For Less Topper is a great option to consider when you find yourself searching for the best mattress for back pain. Latex For Less ensures that their topper is healthy for you and the environment. Their topper is made from only high-quality, single-sourced, 100% natural latex. There are absolutely no fillers, synthetics, or chemicals and all of their material is Certi-PUR US, OEKO-TEX, and Eco-Intitut Certified.
The Latex For Less Topper is available in a 2 or 3-inch thickness and has been specifically designed to provide users with ultra-soft, relaxing pressure relief and just the right amount of relieving support. Their natural latex provides unequivocal weight distribution to ensure you’re getting luxurious pressure relief and gentle support in all the right places.
Because their topper is constructed with nothing but 100% all-natural latex, the product is super resilient and durable. Latex For Less guarantees that their topper will never sag or break down and will always quickly return to its original shape. Plus, again thanks to the all-natural latex construction, you’ll never be subjected to harsh chemicals smells or off-gassing odors.
- Latex For Less offers free shipping on their product
- Latex For Less only uses single-origin latex for their toppers to ensure quality and uniformity
- All materials used in the Latex For Less topper are OEKO-TEX Certified (for latex) and GOTS Certified Organic (for cotton)
- Because the Latex For Less topper is made of completely natural, single-sourced materials there are no off-gassing odors
- Latex For Less allows you to adjust the firmness level of your topper to fit your specific needs
- Extra amenities such as added height, comfort level, or the cotton covering are an additional cost
- Latex For Less considers their topper a personal bedding item and does not accept returns
- If you opt out of the additional over, the topper can have a tendency to slip around
- The topper is a bit on the heavy side and can be difficult to maneuver when setting up
The prices of the Latex For Less mattress topper are as follows:
- Twin – $144
- Twin XL – $154
- Full – $194
- Queen – $189
- King – $239
- California King – $239
It is important to note that the prices of the Latex For Less topper increase with each added amenity. The addition of their cotton cover adds $49 to the overall price no matter the size. The 3-inch option is more expensive than the 2″ and the price goes up with added firmness as well.
If you’re looking for the best mattress topper for back pain that’s also healthy for you and safe for the environment, then the Latex For Less topper is the perfect option for you. This topper provides all the necessary support and comfort to alleviate chronic back pain while remaining completely natural. But, unfortunately, all the extra amenities do come at an extra cost.
So, What’s The Best Mattress Topper For Back Pain For You?
Ultimately, everyone is different. Every individual body has different needs and what works for one may not necessarily work for the other. That’s the beauty of individuality, after all! The important thing is that you do your research thoroughly and understand your own body’s specific needs.
But, no matter your list of specific criteria, if you’re looking for the best mattress toppers for back pain, there are a few things you’ll want to guarantee:
- Make sure that the topper will offer adequate support – a too-soft surface may feel comfortable at first but can lead to more pain and soreness in the end
- Look for something with memory foam or memory foam-like material – this will offer body contouring and cradling that will help relieve symptoms in problem areas
- Make sure that your topper is a decent thickness – too thick can cause you to sink too deeply into the mattress while a too-thin topper won’t provide all the necessary benefits
We’ve made sure to include all the important details of every product in our complete buyer’s guide to help you find the best mattress toppers for back pain for you.
Read Related Reviews
Andrea is a professional freelance writer based out of Kentucky who has researched and reviewed over 40 major mattress brands. She digs politics, activism, and sarcasm. Andrea spent over 5 years in the medical field before deciding to follow her dreams for a lot less pay but a lot more happiness. She’s a mom to two great kids.