Summary: This unbiased, in-depth review features the best mattress toppers for side sleepers our team of Sleeping Ninjas could find on the market. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
Sometimes our mattresses don’t live up to all we expected them to be. Especially if you tend to sleep on your side, even the best mattress can oftentimes leave you with shoulder pain, numbness, and stiffness – which leads to a restless night’s sleep and groggy mornings.
But, purchasing a whole new mattress is a hassle and can be pretty expensive. If you find that your current mattress isn’t performing the way that you need it to, it’s worth considering the addition of a new mattress topper. A high-quality topper can completely rejuvenate your old mattress at a fraction of the cost and help you find a peaceful night’s rest at last.
To help you find the best mattress topper for side sleepers, we’ve created a definitive buyer’s guide complete with what we think are the 7 best options on the market.
The Best Mattress Toppers For Side Sleepers
Here’s a sneak peek of the best mattress toppers for side sleepers in this review:
- Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper
- Luma Sleep 3” Talalay Latex Comfort Layer
- Morphiis Customizable Topper Plus
- SleepEZ Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- Perfect Cloud Gel Fusion Memory Foam Topper
- Nature’s Sleep Cool IQ Memory Foam Topper
- Serta 3” Lasting Dream Plus Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper
The Sleep Innovations 4-inch mattress topper features two individual layers of high-quality materials, making it a great contender on or search for the best mattress topper for side sleepers. The Sleep Innovations company feels that everyone deserves personalized comfort that fits their unique needs.
The foundation of their topper features 2 inches of cooling gel memory foam. This layer provides all-over body-cradling and gentle, pressure-relieving support. It also serves as a line of defense against heat retention by drawing heat away from the body for a cooler sleep.
On top of the layer of memory foam is a 2-inch thick quilted fiberfill cover. This cover is washer and dryer safe and holds both layers of the topper in place. This fiber filled cover also adds an extra touch of luxury to the topper – allowing for a cloud-like feel and lending an ultra-plush surface on top of the support layer below.
Thanks to this unique combination of high-grade materials that provide both top-notch comfort and optimal support, the Sleep Innovations mattress topper is completely compatible with all sleeping positions – including those that tend to sleep primarily on their side.
- The Sleep Innovations topper comes with a 10-year limited warranty
- Sleep Innovations is proudly owned and operated in the USA
- The Sleep Innovations topper provides comfort and support while still being equipped with temperature regulation properties
- The Sleep Innovations company ships both domestically and internationally
- There are no straps t hold the topper in place on your mattress – so there can be some shifting noticed
- A handful of reviewers have noted that the topper is comfortable, but not very durable
- Some customers have complained that one layer of the mattress shipped and arrived significantly sooner than the other layer
- A lot of users are happy with the comfort and support, but find that the topper doesn’t actually cool as advertised
- Twin – $121.39
- Full – $129.00
- Queen – $167.99
- King -$191.99
- California King – $191.99
If you’re looking for a product that will provide optimal comfort and top-notch support then the Sleep Innovations topper is a great place to start when searching for the best mattress topper for side sleepers. The top layer of the topper provides luxurious plushness while the bottom memory foam layer ensures that problem areas such as the hips and shoulders will be cradled and supported while lying on your side.
Luma Sleep 3” Talalay Latex Comfort Layer
Up next in our search for the best mattress topper for side sleepers is the Luma Sleep 3” Talalay Latex Comfort Layer. Luma Sleep promises to completely rejuvenate and add an extra touch of luxury to any mattress, as well as increase the overall durability and longevity.
Their topper is available in 1,2, and 3-inch height profiles and provides uplifting, comfortable, and gentle support unmatched by any other material. The Luma Sleep is designed to provide the necessary pressure relief needed for the deepest sleep without the sinking sensation, heat retention, or fragility associated with memory foam material. It’s specifically ideal for those that primarily sleep on their side and usually experience morning stiffness, soreness, and numbness.
The Luma Sleep topper also features a Tencel fabric cover. This cover is designed with the breathability of cotton and the ultra-luxurious feel of silk. The combination of naturally breathable Talalay with their high-quality Tencel cover allows for all-natural cooling properties.
The Talalay latex used in the Luma Sleep topper is also naturally dust mite resistant, antimicrobial, and hypoallergenic – for a healthier sleeping experience.
- The Tencel cover is zip-off and machine washable
- The Luma Sleep topper ships free and arrives within 8-12 business days
- The height profile and firmness level of the topper is adjustable to help you best fit your individual needs
- The Luma Sleep company offers a 5-year limited warranty
- You can return the Luma Sleep topper free of charge within the first 30 days
- Luma Sleep does offer financing through Klarna
- The Luma Sleep topper is on the expensive side – costing more than some new mattresses
- The included cover is quite thin and tends to tear easily
- Some users weren’t ultimately impressed with the cooling qualities of the Luma Sleep topper
- Twin – $375
- Twin XL – $375
- Full – $450
- Queen – $500
- King -$600
- California King – $600
If you’re willing to splurge a little for the best mattress topper for side sleepers, then the Luma Sleep topper is a great option for you. It comes highly recommended for side sleepers specifically and provides all the pressure relieving properties of memory foam with added loft and durability.
Morphiis Customizable Topper Plus
The Morphiis mattress topper is the only customizable mattress topper in the world – making it a great contender on our search for the best mattress topper for side sleepers. The Morphiis topper is designed to improve any mattress -whether it’s a brand-new purchase that’s just missing something or an older mattress that’s begun to wear down.
The Morphiis mattress topper truly stands out in our buyer’s guide because it’s completely customizable, unlike any other option. The topper itself is constructed of UltraFoam that’s guaranteed to never sleep hot or allow for any lasting body impressions. The UltraFoam layer features patented adjustment slots throughout its bottom surface. These slots can be left empty for increased softness in certain areas, or filled with the Morphiis inserts to increase firmness and support where you need it.
The Morphiis topper is then wrapped in a deluxe, luxuriously soft cover that’s completely removable and machine washable. Full and half inserts are available for the Morphiis, so you can achieve the customization that’s perfect for you while your partner can easily adjust their side differently. The Morphiis topper is also designed to provide proper alignment through the body to greatly reduce or eliminate neck and back pain.
- All of the materials used in the Morphiis mattress topper are Certi-PUR US Certified
- The Morphiis mattress topper is designed to provide customized comfort and support while remaining breathable and cool
- Morphiis guarantees that their topper will greatly extend the life of your existing mattress for a fraction of the cost
- You can add and remove inserts from the topper easily – making necessary adjustments hassle-free
- The Mophiis company offers to finance your purchase through GreenSky
- It can take some time to figure out the best placement of the inserts to fit your individual needs
- Some off-gassing odor can be noticed due to the foam construction
- The Morphiis topper is designed to remain mostly neutral in temperature but doesn’t provide a lot of cooling effects
- The Morphiis mattress topper is not available for California king-size mattresses
- Twin – $175
- Full – $200
- Queen – $225
- King -$250
The Morphiis customizable topper plus may be our favorite option in our buyer’s guide to the best mattress topper for side sleepers. The proprietary insert system allows you to completely customize the topper to fit your specific needs and preferred sleeping position and all at a price that isn’t too hard on the budget. They only downfall is the lack of an adequate cooling system.
SleepEZ Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Up next in our search for the best mattress topper for side sleepers is the SleepEZ natural latex mattress topper. The SleepEZ topper is available in a few different options. You can choose from Dunlop latex, Talalay latex, or GOLS Certified Dunlop latex. They also offer a 2″ or 3″ profile, four different firmness levels, and an optional cotton stretch cover.
SleepEZ guarantees that their mattress will revitalize any old mattress or add an extra oomph to a new one. Their latex topper is also a great way to experience all of the great benefits that latex material has to offer without making the commitment, or paying the price for a full latex mattress.
Their topper is specifically designed to offer stellar support, gently cradle the body, and provide adequate airflow thanks to latex’s open cell structure. The loftiness and support offered by the latex material also help to achieve a neutral spinal position throughout the night for proper alignment to reduce pain, aches, and stiffness.
Sleep EZ also offers an optional cotton cover constructed of 100% all-natural cotton. The cotton used in their cover is completely chemical free which may help reduce reactions, allergies, or asthma symptoms. This cover is super-soft to the touch and helps reduce any staining or damage to your topper or original mattress. It’s also super-stretchy and completely removable.
- SleepEZ offers to finance your purchase through Affirm
- The SleepEZ topper offers several different options to help you find the topper that will best fit your individual needs
- Their products are all-natural and they even offer a completely organic option
- The density of the latex material great reduces or completely eliminates motion transference
- The cost of the added amenities such as thickness, different latex materials, or the cotton cover stacks up very quickly
- We were unable to verify if the cotton cover is machine washable
- Expedited shipping is not available
- Twin – $130
- Twin XL – $175
- Full – $250
- Queen – $250
- King -$300
- California King – $300
If you’re looking for the best mattress for side sleepers that offers all-natural or even organic options, then the SleepEZ latex mattress topper is a great place to start. The latex material offers unsurpassed pressure relieving properties with durability that can only be found in latex. But, once you start adding any additional benefits or amenities the price can add up on you quickly.
Perfect Cloud Gel Fusion Memory Foam Topper
The Perfect Cloud memory foam topper made our list for the best mattress topper for side sleepers thanks to its innovative technology. This topper features a unique infusion of Gelcare that ensure you sleep completely comfortable and cool all throughout the night.
Their memory foam is specifically designed to almost instantly relieve tension, alleviate pain, and provide an almost weightless sleeping experience. The proprietary material cradles around joints and pressure points to allow for the deepest relaxation possible.
The Perfect Cloud topper is then wrapped in a removable, washable stretch knit cover. He durable zipper is designed to withstand regular use, allowing you to gently clean the cover whenever you’d like. Perfect Cloud has designed their cover to be so plush and soft that you may even forgo a sheet.
- All materials used in the construction of the Perfect Cloud topper are Certi-PUR US Certified
- Perfect Cloud offers a 10-year limited warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee
- The Perfect Cloud topper is designed to accommodate sleepers from 40-400 pounds
- This topper is completely compatible with any sleeping position you can think of
- Reviewers describe the topper as “just right” and “cloud-like”
- Some reviewers feel that this topper is too soft
- Some customers complain that the topper tends to slide around a lot or bunch up underneath them
- Several reviewers weren’t impressed with the cooling properties of the Perfect Cloud topper
- The Perfect Cloud topper is only available in limited sizes
- Twin – $89.99
- Full – $114.99
- Queen – $129.99
When it comes to the Perfect Cloud topper as one of the best mattress toppers for side sleepers, the bottom line is it’s just okay. We’re sure that the topper is comfortable and would most likely provide decent relief for those that tend to sleep on their side. But, we couldn’t find anything that was too impressive and the topper is only available in a very limited amount of sizes.
Nature’s Sleep Cool IQ Memory Foam Topper
The next best mattress topper for side sleepers on our list is the Nature’s Sleep Cool IQ memory foam topper. The Nature’s Sleep topper is constructed with 2.5” of Cool IQ visco-elastic memory foam. This proprietary visco-elastic technology features larger cells that actually react to your body – allowing for optimal comfort as well as breathability.
This special memory foam formula is designed to minimize pressure points and gently cradle around joints and problem areas. This helps to achieve the deepest, most restful sleep by greatly reducing tossing and turning through the night and alleviating pain, pressure, and stiffness in the back, neck, hips, and shoulders.
The Nature’s Sleep Cool IQ topper also features an ultra-plush microfiber cover that adds an extra touch of luxury and keeps your mattress protected and the topper firmly in place. This topper is also naturally hypoallergenic, anti-bacterial, and anti-microbial for the healthiest sleep possible.
- The Nature’s Sleep mattress topper is compatible with any mattress, sofa sleeper, futon, or even the floor for unexpected guests
- The included microfiber cover is removable and washable
- All materials used in the construction of the Nature’s Sleep topper are Certi-PUR US Certified for emissions and indoor air quality
- The Nature’s Sleep topper is a great option for asthma or allergy sufferers
- It can take up to a day or two for your topper to fully expand and be ready for use
- This topper has been described as a bit on the soft side
- According to reviewers, the Nature’s Sleep customer service department is not very helpful
- Twin – $109.99
- Twin XL – $119.99
- Full – $139.99
- King -$179.99
- California King – $149.99
When it comes to finding the best mattress topper for side sleepers, the Nature’s Sleep Cool IQ is a pretty good option. There wasn’t anything too stellar that stood out about the product, but it does seem that it would effectively reduce pressure and cradle joints to make for a more pleasant sleeping experience.
Serta 3” Lasting Dream Plus Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Last on our list of the best mattress toppers for side sleepers is the Serta Dream memory foam topper. The Serta topper is constructed with 3 inches of premium, gel-infused memory foam. Serta has specifically designed their material with complete compatibility for any sleeping position. The gel memory foam promotes proper alignment for a healthy and comfortable sleep and relieves pressure points to reduce tossing and turning through the night.
The Serta topper also features a super-soft textured cover. Their cover provides a touchable soft feel, increases the circulation of fresh air, and holds the topper on place even over deep mattresses. The textured cover is also removable and washable for extra hygiene.
- The Serta topper is designed to provide comfort, pain relief, and temperature control
- The profile of the Serta Dream topper fits perfectly under your fitted sheets
- All materials used in the construction of the Serta topper are Certi-PUR US Certified
- The addition of the Serta topper increases comfort and support extends the life of your mattress
- The topper tends to sink which can potentially allow you to roll off the bed or into your partner
- The thickness of the topper is most compatible with existing mattresses that are 12” or under in height profile
- The slight sinking sensation of memory foam can take some time to adjust to
- Twin – $109.99
- Full – $134.99
- Queen – $152.99
- King -$184.99
- California King – $184.99
In the search for the best mattress topper for side sleepers, the Serta Dream is a pretty good contender. The memory foam construction allows for joint cradling, pressure point relief, and deep relaxation that’s compatible with any sleeping position.
So, What are the Best Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers for You?
Ultimately, everyone’s needs are different. One topper may work wonders for one person while it’s uncomfortable and just not a great fit for another. In the end, it’s important to do your research and become familiar with your own needs and desires.
But, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind when searching for the best mattress topper for side sleepers:
- Look for a topper that isn’t too firm – support is certainly a necessity, but a too-firm surface can cause pain and numbness in areas such as the shoulders and hips when you regularly sleep on your side
- A topper that helps achieve proper alignment is a plus – consistently sleeping on your side can cause alignment issues in the neck and spine if the surface doesn’t provide support
- Make sure it’s thick enough – lying on your side creates a lot of pressure points, if your topper is too thin then you could be left sinking into the original mattress below which won’t improve your issues ultimately
We made sure to include all of the important details of the products included in our buyer’s guide to help you find the very best mattress topper for side sleepers.