Summary: This unbiased, in-depth review features the top picks for the best mattress under $500 by our team of Sleeping Ninjas. (Yes, ninjas are price conscious too.) Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
Buying a new mattress is a big purchase for anyone. You want to make sure that you’re getting something that will be comfortable and supportive and last at least a few years. The average person already replaces their mattress approximately every 5 years. Especially considering you could be spending more than a month’s salary on a new mattress, you don’t want to do it any more often than you have to.
Most often, everywhere you look, a “good” mattress is at least $1500. And the price just keeps climbing the “better” it gets. More amenities, better pressure relief, guaranteed—durabilityit all seems to come with a larger and larger price tag attached to it until you’re beginning to wonder if you’ll ever be able to afford much more than a sleeping bag or a cot.
But, it doesn’t necessarily have to cost you a literal arm and leg to get a new mattress that will meet your needs, keep you comfortable, and provide you with long-lasting support for years to come.
We’ve done the footwork for you right here and put together the ultimate review, complete with 7 different options and convenient “best of” categories, to help you find the absolute best mattress under $500.
Our Top Picks for the Best Mattress Under $500
Here’s a quick rundown of the best mattresses under $500 reviewed below:
- Zinus Green Tea Mattress
- Tuft & Needle Full Size Mattress
- Sleep Innovations Shea Mattress
- Classic Brands Cool Gel Mattress
- Lucid Full-Size Hybrid Mattress
- DreamFoam Arctic Dreams Cooling Gel Mattress
- Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress
Now, let’s take a closer look at each mattress.
Best Mattresses Under $500 by Category
Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress – Best In Pressure Relief
The Zinus Green Tea Mattress uses a combination of memory foam and high-density foam, infused with green tea and activated charcoal to promise the best overall sleeping experience.
The 12” option features four separate layers. The top 3” consist of memory foam for a soft, plush, cradling surface. Underneath the memory foam layer is a 2” layer of comfort foam, to help reinforce the memory foam and provide deep pressure point relief. The third and fourth layer both consist of 3.5” layers of high-density foam to strengthen the top layers, provide complete support, and reinforce the entire mattress.
The infusion of natural green tea and activated charcoal helps to wick away and absorb heat and sweat throughout the night to guarantee that you’ll wake up smelling and feeling fresh and clean and avoid the sticky, sweaty mornings. These natural ingredients also help to provide responsiveness, durability and allow the mattress to cradle and mold to every curve of your body to provide, leaving you with a soft, restful night’s sleep.
- All foam used in the Zinus mattress is Certi-PUR US certified against harmful emission
- In addition to the natural ingredients in the mattress, the foam is breathable allowing for additional airflow, providing another layer of temperature regulation
- The layer of comfort foam reinforces the memory foam to allow your joints to sink into the mattress, relieving any pressure or soreness
- Zinus offers a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year limited warranty
- The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress is available in a Cal. King, 12” profile for under $500
- The Zinus Memory Foam Mattress provides a softer sleep and would not be ideal for those looking for a firmer mattress
- This mattress is not equipped with any additional edge support, so sitting on the edge of the bed regularly can cause quicker wear
- The mattress does arrive rolled and compressed and can take up to 48 hours to fully decompress
If you suffer from joint pain or problems with pressure points, then the Zinus Green Tea Mattress will provide you with soft, cradling comfort and pain relief. However, the Zinus is a softer mattress with very little firm support. So, keep that in mind if you generally sleep better on a firm mattress.
Tuft & Needle Full Size Mattress – Best For Minimal Movement Transference
The Tuft & Needle Full Size Mattress is constructed with Tuft & Needle Adaptive Foam that utilizes all of the best qualities of memory foam and leaves out all the downfalls. Their adaptive foam has been specially constructed, with the help of world-leading scientists, to provide adequate bounce and support for every sleeping position imaginable.
Their foam construction provides the perfect mixture of soft plushness and firm support to relieve pressure points, joint pain, and allows for absolutely zero motion transference. Making the Tuft & Needle mattress a wonderful option for couples that don’t want to disturb their partner or be disturbed by nighttime movement.
Their foam adapts to the shape and curve of every individual body to provide support and softness in all the right places and quickly bounces back to its original shape to avoid any divots or sagging areas.
The adaptive foam used in this mattress is also infused with gel and graphite, completely unique to the Tuft & Needle Company, that allows their mattress to draw away and redirect heat, leaving you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
- Tuft & Needle offers a 100-night sleep trial as well as a 10-year Honest Warranty
- The mattress meets or exceeds that standards for certification with Certi-PUR US, OEKO-TEX Standard 100, and GREENGUARD Gold
- The Tuft & Needle Mattress is compatible with any sort of bed frame and is still comfortable and supportive even when used on the floor
- Their adaptive foam construction guarantees that you won’t sink in, feel stuck or sleep hot
- The mattress arrives compressed in a box and can take up to 72-hours to fully expand
- A foam odor is noticeable upon opening the package and can take up to 72-hours of adequate ventilation to dissipate
- Very poor edge support, leaving you to roll off the edge of the bed, and sitting on the edge will cause extra wear
If you’re looking for the best mattress under $500 that will provide soft support, keep you cool through the night, and allow for no movement transference, then the Tuft & Needle is a great option.
Sleep Innovations Shea 10” Memory Foam Mattress – Best Memory Foam Option
The Sleep Innovations Shea Mattress utilizes a combination of memory foam and high-density foam to provide the best in comfort and support. The Classic Comfort top layer of the Shea mattress features 3” of soft, cradling SureTemp memory foam. This memory foam has been specially designed to conform to joints and relieve pressure while remaining cool and comfortable throughout the night.
Under the Classic Comfort top layer is the Deep Support bottom layer, constructed from 7” of high-density Support-Plus foam. This thick bottom layer is meant to reinforce the entire mattress and lend a medium-firm support all throughout the mattress. The combination of the two foams allows the mattress to adapt to every body type and size.
The Sleep Innovations Shea mattress is made to provide personal alignment for each individual sleeper, ensuring that the neck and spine are in the correct position the achieve a comfortable and restful nights sleep without pain. The foam adapts quickly enough that it’s ideal for back and side sleepers, or those that tend to switch positions often during sleep.
- Sleep Innovations offers a 20-year limited warranty
- The Shea Mattress features a poly-cotton blended quilted cover that is soft to the touch, providing an extra layer of comfort
- The mattress adapts to smaller or larger bodies, making it ideal for those with sleeping partners
- The foam construction allows for very minimal movement disturbance
- For best performance results, it is recommended that you turn the mattress periodically
- The mattress is not constructed with additional edge support
- Many consumers have reported that it is far more comfortable with the separate purchase of a mattress topper
If you’re looking for a memory foam option that will provide you with gentle support and cradling pressure relief, that will adapt to large or small body types, then the Sleep Innovations Shea Mattress may be the best mattress under $500 for you.
Classic Brands Cool Gel Memory Foam – Best In Temperature Control
The Classic Brands Cool Gel Foam Mattress combines the use of original memory foam with high-density cool gel memory foam to provide you with the optimal sleeping surface.
The top 2″ of the Classic Brands Mattress features ventilated gel memory foam. This layer provides ideal airflow and helps wick away heat so that you can sleep cool and comfortable throughout even the hottest night. Under the cool gel layer are 2″ of original memory foam and 2″ of comfort foam. These layers provide firm but gentle support to cradle your joints and provide pressure point relief.
Bringing up the bottom of the Cool Gel Mattress is 8” of high-density poly-base foam. This layer reinforces the entire Classic Brands Foam Mattress to ensure that you’re getting the best level of support through the entire mattress surface and increases the durability and life-span of the mattress.
The entire mattress is then covered in a stretch knit fabric featuring a waterfall edge and matching side panels. The waterfall edge ensures that you won’t experience any discomfort from lump seems on the edge of the mattress and provides an extra layer is soft to the touch comfort, with an intricate design to make sure that your mattress is beautiful all on its own.
- The Classic Brands Mattress is compatible with all bed frames, including adjustable
- Meets Certi-PUR US Standards for emissions, durability, and performance
- Memory foam is naturally hypoallergenic, and allergen, mold, bacteria, and dust mite resistant
- Comes with two free shredded memory foam pillows
- The Cool Brands Gel Memory Foam Mattress is backed by a 25-year worry-free warranty
- It is recommended that you purchase a use a separate mattress protector, as liquids seeping into the memory foam will degrade it quickly
- It can take upwards of 72-hours for the mattress to fully expand upon opening
- It can take up to 2 weeks for the mattress to contour to your body, so it can be a bit uncomfortable until then
If you have regular issues with getting too hot throughout the night and are looking for a mattress to keep you cool, comfortable, and supported, then the Classic Brands Cool Gel is a great option.
Lucid 10” Bamboo Charcoal And Aloe Vera Full Size Hybrid Mattress – Best Hybrid Option
The Lucid Full-Size Hybrid Mattress literally combines the best qualities of several different materials to provide you with another option for the best mattress under $500.
This mattress starts off with a top layer of memory foam. This allows for a soft, plush, and comfortable sleeping surface that will conform to your joints and pressure points while gently cradling the rest of your body – providing even, uniform support and reduced pain upon waking. This layer lies on top of 4 layers of high-density foam to reinforce the support and conformity of the memory foam.
The bottom layer of the Lucid Mattress consists of an individually encased steel coil innerspring system that provides optimal firm support, durability and longevity. When combined, all the individual materials come together to create the ideal mattress.
The Lucid Mattress is also infused with Bamboo Charcoal and Aloe Vera to keep you as cool and comfortable as possible. The Bamboo Charcoal naturally wicks away heat, sweat, and moisture to keep you cool and dry, and absorbs and eliminates odors. The charcoal in combination with the infused Aloe Vera ensures that you wake up looking, feeling, and smelling, rejuvenated and refreshed day after day.
- Due to the combination of materials, the Lucid Mattress provides optimal responsiveness, never leaving divots or impressions
- The mattress is topped with a circular knit cover to provide an extra layer of softness, comfort and an easy on the eye design
- The encased coil innerspring system provides extra edge support and increases the lifespan of the mattress
- Backed by a 10-year warranty
- This mattress is a 4/5 on the firmness rating, so it could be a bit too firm for those that prefer a softer sleep
- A waterproof cover is suggested to avoid spills on the memory foam layer
- The mattress arrives compressed and can take up to 48-hours to fully expand
- Off-gassing is reported and can take 1-4 days in an adequately ventilated area for the odor to fully dissipate
The Lucid 10” is the best mattress under $500 to provide comfort, support, and pressure relief through the use of several different materials. And it’s the only option infused with natural Bamboo Charcoal and Aloe Vera to ensure that you’re always fresh and rejuvenated.
See Sleeping Ninjas’ in-depth Lucid Mattress Review.
DreamFoam Arctic Dreams Cooling Gel Mattress – Best For All Sleeping Positions
The DreamFoam Arctic Dreams Cooling Gel Mattress utilizes a new, unique style of memory-like foam called Energex. Energex is specifically designed to give you all of the greatest qualities that memory foam has to offer, without the downfalls such as heat retention, slow response, and body impressions over time.
Energex has an exceptionally quick response time, giving it a bouncing quality that you simply can’t find in conventional memory foam or latex options. The open polymer structure of this advanced foam allows the sufficient breathability and airflow, to ensure that you always stay cool and comfortable. The Energex foam is designed to cradle around joints and pressure points for superior pressure and pain relief.
The Arctic Dreams Mattress features a top layer consisting of 3” of Energex foam to keep you cool and ensure that you’re waking up pain-free and rejuvenated. Underneath the layer of Energex is 6 ¼ inches of high-density polyurethane foam to give support and structure to the entire mattress and ensure that you’re getting the firmness and support that you need. The entire mattress is covered in a ¾ inch thick, super-soft quilted cover that provides an extra layer of touchable comfort.
Because of the use of unique Energex foam in combination with a firm, supportive, high-density foam base, the DreamFoam Arctic Dreams Mattress is the ideal sleeping surface for every sleeping position.
- All foam used in the DreamFoam Arctic Dreams Mattress is Certi-PUR US Certified
- DreamFoam offers a 10-year warranty and 120-night trial period
- The Arctic Dreams Mattress is certified low VOC’s and OEKO-TEX certified
- The mattress does come compressed and needs time to expand fully, but it usually only takes 6-7 hours before it’s ready to sleep on
- It can take up to 30 days for your body to adjust to the DreamFoam Mattress
- It is recommended that you purchase a separate waterproof mattress protector, as spills can damage the integrity of the foam
If you happen to be one of those sleepers that end up in every position at least once through the night, or if you have a partner that tends to sleep in a different position than you, and you’re looking for a mattress that will suit both your needs without sacrificing comfort and temperature control, then the Arctic Dreams Mattress by DreamFoam is a great option.
Brentwood Home 11” Cypress Mattress – Best In Medium-Firm Support
If you’re looking for a mattress that will provide you with firm support without feeling too hard or stiff, then the Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress may be a perfect fit for you. The Cypress utilizes a combination of a few different materials to provide you with a just-right firmness, relieving pressure and pain, and allowing for proper spinal alignment to ensure an optimal night’s rest.
The Brentwood Home Mattress starts with a 6.5-inch base foam layer that provides ideal reinforcement and support throughout the entire mattress, eliminates motion disturbances, and prevents any noises from moving around or getting up and down from the mattress. On top of the base foam layer is 2” of ventilated foam to guarantee the best airflow for a cool sleep. Up next is a 2.5” layer of gel memory foam that cradles the body’s pressure points, such as the hips, knees, and shoulders, distributes weight evenly across the mattress and adds another layer of protection against motion transference.
The Brentwood Home Cypress is then covered with a layer of natural New Zealand wool that helps to wick away and disperse sweat and heat and acts as an all-natural fire barrier. This mattress also features a removable bamboo-derived rayon cover that boasts super-softness and ease of care.
- Made with Certi-PUR US Foam
- Brentwood home offers a 25-year warranty
- The layer of New Zealand wool meets all flammability standards without the use of harsh chemicals or toxic additives
- Due to the firmness of this mattress, it is only recommended for mainly back and stomach sleepers and those who only occasionally turn on their side
- This mattress is on the heavy side and can be difficult to maneuver without help
- Some consumers have reported some off-gassing, but it dissipates quickly
If you’re a stomach or back sleeper that looking for a mattress that will provide you with medium-firm support, keep you cool throughout the night, and allow for zero movement disturbances then the Brentwood home Cypress Mattress is a great fit for you. However, if you’re a side sleeper, or have a tendency to switch through several positions through the night, then you may want to consider a different option.
What Should You Consider When Searching For The Best Mattress Under $500?
Purchasing a new mattress is a big decision. And even if you’re looking the best mattress under $500, you still want to ensure that you’re getting the best bang for your buck. Just because a mattress doesn’t cost $2000 doesn’t mean that you want to skimp on value or quality.
So, like with any large purchase, there are a few things you’ll want to take into consideration before making a final decision on the best mattress under $500 for you.
The fact of the matter is, no matter how much you give for your mattress, you want it to last. No one wants to be stuck replacing their mattress every year or two because it’s just not holding up to the normal wear and tear.
Now unless you’re buying latex, a mattress just isn’t going to last your entire life. But, you certainly want to get your money’s worth out of it. So, as you’re shopping and doing your research, make sure that the mattress you’re looking at is going to be durable and withstand several years of regular use.
The best mattress under $500 shouldn’t have to be replaced within a year.
The warranty is an important thing to consider with any large purchase. First and foremost, a company will stand behind their product if they believe in it. A company that is offering a 25-year warranty on their product fully expects their product to perform exactly as it’s supposed to. They’re happy to provide a warranty because they don’t think they’re going to need it. And any reputable company will happily replace their product if it’s defective or unsatisfactory. That’s just good business.
As well as ensuring a certain level of quality, a good warranty will prevent you from having to replace your mattress completely out of pocket if it breaks down prematurely. Again, no one’s expecting a mattress to last the rest of your life, but if it has to be replaced within a few years, it’s always nice for the company to be responsible for at least part of that. Not to mention, if it’s broken or defective upon delivery, you don’t want to be stuck with a mattress you can’t use, and out another chunk of change for a new one.
Just don’t forget to always read the fine print on your warranty before you settle on anything. You don’t want to be left expecting a full refund and it turns out that the company only covers a percentage.
There are dozens of different mattress materials available these days. You can now purchase a mattress made out of everything from latex to memory foam, from coconut husk to soybean foam. Mattresses are available with innerspring systems, or there are options that use no metal hardware or construction whatsoever. You can even purchase hybrid mattresses that combine the best qualities of several different materials. The important thing is determining what sort of mattress material will best suit your personal needs.
Memory foam is known for its pressure relieving properties, but it can sleep hot and can have a tendency to wear down quickly. Latex is known for its durability, lasting upwards of 20+ years, and it’s readily available in 100% all-natural and organic mattress options, but it’s not great at providing firmness, support, or softness in individual areas. Innerspring systems are great at providing even, edge to edge support, but they wear down under pressure quicker than other materials and end up sagging in the middle, leaving the sleeper uncomfortable.
It’s always best to do a bit of your own research and even test out a few mattresses to determine the best material, or a mix of materials, to find the best mattress under $500 to suit your individual needs.
The best mattress under $500 has to be comfortable. Otherwise, it’s not the best mattress. But what’s comfortable to someone else may not be comfortable to you. Every person has individual, unique needs, desires, and taste. If you prefer a plush softness, then you may be most comfortable on a pillow top or memory foam mattress. If you prefer a good firm, supportive sleeping surface, then latex or innerspring may be the better choice. If you’re a hot sleeper, you’ll want to ensure that the mattress you choose has cooling properties and won’t leave you tossing and turning through night sweats.
Whatever it is that will suit you best, you want to ensure that you’re getting the best mattress that is tailored to your needs to guarantee that you’re comfortable and happy night after night.
So Which Is The Best Mattress Under $500 For You?
Every person is different. While you may find that the durability and firmness of an all-natural, organic latex mattress best suit your needs, others may find that a memory foam mattress better relieves their pain and pressure points.
There is no one size fits all mattress. Because we’re all made in different shapes and sizes with different needs. But we’ve made sure to include a wide variety of materials and designs in this comprehensive review to ensure that whatever mattress you choose will be the very best mattress under $500 for you.