Summary: This unbiased, in-depth review features the top picks for the best organic mattress by our team of Sleeping Ninjas. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
Getting a good night’s sleep is important. It affects everything, from how you start your day to how well you feel that afternoon. Your mattress affects your sleep quality. Given how expensive some mattresses can be, it is important to find the right one. Below, we list the best organic mattress options on the market and go over several key factors.
What is an Organic Mattress?
First, you may be asking yourself “what is an organic mattress?” An organic mattress is one made from all-natural materials. With green living being so popular today, we know how important it is to find the best organic mattress to fit your lifestyle. Because there are few to no chemicals used in manufacturing organic mattresses, you feel better about your environmental footprint. (Not to mention the reduction in off-gassing fumes!)
A Peek at Our Top Picks
Below you will find a list of our eight best organic mattress picks. Here is a rundown of those choices:
- Avocado Green
- Eco Terra
- My Green Mattress
- Nest Bedding Q3
- Plush Beds Botanical Bliss
Now, let’s get down to business.
The Best Organic Mattress List
Below, we list the best organic mattresses by category. However, if you want to know more about the criteria we judge by, keep reading.
Avocado Green Mattress: Best Organic Hybrid Mattress
The Avocado Green mattress has made our list before. As a hybrid, the Avocado combines both springs and natural latex in this mattress. This organic mattress has an optional pillow top feature too.
On a firmness scale of 1 to 10, the Avocado rates a 7. This means it is considered to be “gentle firm”. If you are a stomach or back sleeper, this is an ideal sleep number. It is also ideal for sleepers who are heavier.
The regular version is 11 inches thick. This measurement includes the all of the standard materials. Beneath the cover, there is a layer of all natural New Zealand Joma wool. This added breathability and moisture wicking traits to the bed. A natural, hydrated silica layer creates a fire barrier under the wool. A natural 2-inch Dunlop latex layer sits just under this. Zoned 8-inch pocket coils add plenty of circulation. A final 1-inch layer of Dunlop latex provides base support.
What are “zoned” pocket coils? These are inner springs that are arranged in a way that will ergonomically support the standard body. For Avocado, this means strategically placing 1,414 individually wrapped springs throughout the layer. This gives you the ideal support where it is needed most. The 17 gauge wires centrally placed allow your hips and shoulders to sink in. The 14 gauge wires that wrap around these keep your neck and knees aligned with your spine. The 16 gauge wires that wrap around the edges of the mattress give edge sleepers the same solid support.
For added luxury, Avocado also offers an optional pillow top feature. The 2-inch Euro-style Dunlop latex pillow top makes this version 13-inches total. Adding the pillow top gives this mattress a 6 on the firmness scale. (For side-sleepers, a 6 may help them get a better night’s rest!)
- The Avocado Green has a 25-year limited warranty. (For your first 10 years, the warranty is unlimited. However, between 11 and 25 years, the scope becomes limited.)
- Sleepers get 100 nights to test the Avocado out.
- The Avocado Green is made in the USA.
- The Avocado Green is GOTS, eco-INSTITUT, Greenguard Gold and OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified.
- Avocado also participates in the Environmental Charity Initiative. That means they do more than just make organic mattresses. They also give back 1% of their profits to help further protect our plant.
- The Avocado does a good job of isolating motion. Meaning you and your partner can keep sleeping even while the other tosses and turns.
- One user noted that they could feel the button on the Avocado’s handcrafted cover.
- With a firmness between 6 and 7, this mattress may be a bit too firm for some sleepers.
The Bottom Line:
When it comes to the best organic mattress, this hybrid from Avocado has great features. While they can be on the pricey side when compared to a regular mattress, Avocado also offers financing options. A hybrid option that is also environmentally friendly? Yes, please!
See Sleeping Ninjas’ in-depth Avocado Green Mattress Review.
Eco Terra: Simple, No-Nonsense Organic Mattress
The Eco Terra is made of two simple layers. The all-natural talalay latex layer contours to your body for a custom support. This is supported by a layer of individually wrapped coils. (The inner section is 16 gauge steel. The edges are stiffened with 15 gauge steel coils.) All of this is encased in an organic cotton stretch cover. Each layer is built to encourage breathability throughout the mattress.
The Eco Terra come sin medium and medium firm. This means it has a rating of 5.5. This is ideal for all types of sleepers. The individually wrapped coils topped with the latex help prevent motion transfer as well.
- The Eco Terra comes with a 15-year limited warranty.
- This mattress is designed and manufactured in the USA.
- The Eco Terra is OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified.
- Shipping and returns are all free with Eco Terra.
- Some mattress owners feel that this mattress sleeps hot. The heat distribution is not as well thought out as other brands.
- The Eco Terra only comes with a 90-night trial period. Three months is a lot of time to test a bed. However, compared to almost all other mattresses on this list, it is a very limited period. (If you buy on Amazon instead, this actually shrinks to only 30 nights!)
The Bottom Line:
If you want something simple and straightforward, the Eco Terra is one of the best organic mattresses. With only three components, including the cover, this mattress is simple but comfortable.
My Green Mattress: Best Organic Mattress for Hot Sleepers
My Green Mattress is an 11-inch organic hybrid. It comes in firm (7) only. This two-layer hybrid offers a simple design that meets eco-friendly standards.
The cover is a blend of organic cotton and wool. The first layer is 3-inches of natural Dunlop latex. Beneath this sits a layer of 8-inch zoned pocket coils. To increase support, the perimeter coils are 15.5 gauge. The inner coils, however, are 14.5 gauge. This allows your hips to sink in, while keeping your head and feel in a neutral spine position.
Because of the coils and latex blend, this bed sleeps cool. If you are a hot sleeper, this is vital to a good night’s sleep. The coils also decrease motion transfer.
- My Green Mattress is GOTS, GOLS, OEKO-TEX Standard 100, eco-INSTITUT and Greenguard Gold certified.
- My Green Mattress comes with a 100-night trial.
- My Green Mattress is designed and produced in the USA.
- This mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
- This mattress only comes in firm. For heavy, back or stomach sleepers, this is great. However, for side sleepers, this may cause problems.
- The trial period has limitations. The mattress can only be returned in like-new condition.
The Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a mattress that will help you stay cool while you sleep, My Green Mattress might be for you. With its affordable price tag, this mattress is worth a try. After all, a cool, eco-friendly mattress that can support heavy sleepers makes this one of the best organic mattress buys today.
Nest Bedding Q3 Latex Mattress: Best Luxury Organic Mattress
Nest Bedding offers the Q3 latex mattress. This bed is available in both organic and non-organic options. In addition to opting for an organic blend of materials, you also have three firmness options to choose from. (This includes soft, medium and firm.)
For the medium and firm options, the mattress comes with 9-inches of Dunlop latex. (The Dunlop latex comes with a 3-inch soft piece and 6-inch firm piece. Depending on the level of firmness you want, you simply lay them in order.) If you opt for the soft version, an additional 3-inch Talalay latex is sent.
You may be wondering how this work. Well, with the Nest Bedding Q3, you need to do some of your own assembly. You will receive your mattress in two to three boxes, depending on firmness. Upon opening the boxes, you will insert the latex padding into the included organic cotton and wool blend cover.
- Nest Bedding’s Q3 organic latex mattress comes with several certifications. This includes OEKO-TEX Standard 100, GOTS, and GOLS labels.
- Nest Bedding offers a 100-night trial. After the 100-night trial, if you decide you do not like the mattress, the lifetime comfort guarantee kicks in. This gives you 50% off your next purchase.
- Nest Bedding stands by their mattresses. They offer a limited lifetime warranty on all their products.
- Nest Bedding mattresses are made in the USA.
- Nest Bedding is truly a luxury bed. While that is great, it comes with a price tag that reflects this. As such, it may not be affordable for some. (Although you can apply for financing or lease to own options!)
- The Q3 does require some work on your part to assemble. For those who are physically impaired, this may be a problem.
The Bottom Line:
The Nest Bedding Q3 organic latex bed is a high-dollar mattress. However, if you want customized luxury in varying firmness levels, this may be the best organic mattress for you.
PlushBeds Botanical Bliss: Best Couple’s Luxury Organic Mattress
PlushBeds are luxury organic mattresses. While the Nest Bedding Q3 is also a luxury mattress, the Botanical Bliss comes with a few more options. For those who sleep with a partner, for example, you can order the queen, king or California king mattress “split”. This means both you and your partner can have different firmness levels on your particular side. This is ideal if you have different personal sleeping preferences.
The cover for the Botanical Bliss is made of organic cotton and pure New Zealand wool. Under this, however, is a 100% Talalay latex. Coupled with open cell technology, this helps provide ventilation and heat distribution throughout the mattress.
The Botanical Bliss comes in 9-, 10- and 12-inch options. This provides you with different levels of support. You can also tailor your mattress side for soft, medium, or firm sleeping.
- The Botanical Bliss comes with several organic certifications. These include GOLS, GOTS, OEKO-TEX Standard 100, eco-INSTITUT and Greenguard Gold.
- PlushBeds offer a 100-night trial and 25-year warranty on the Botanical Bliss mattress.
- The PlushBeds Botanical Bliss is going to cost you. While there are financing options available, expect to shell out more for this mattress than every other mattress on this list.
The Bottom Line:
The PlushBeds Botanical Bliss is the best organic mattress for those couples looking for an eco-friendly, custom luxury sleep.
Happsy: Overall Organic Value
The Happsy mattress 10-inches of certified organic materials. The mattress starts with a 2-inch layer of natural latex. Beneath this sits a layer of 8-inch individually wrapped coils. An organic wool batting sandwiches where two layers. Finally, an organic cotton cover encases the mattresses.
Happsy also offers an addition 2-inch latex pillow topper for their mattresses. (This topper is not integrated into the mattress though. It simply sits atop the mattress.) Shipping is free, however, when you order or return your mattress during the trial period.
Happsy only comes in a single firmness level. However, the company does not advertise what this rating actually is. Most reviewers noted it ranked between a 5.5 and 6.
- The Happsy mattress comes with several organic certifications. This includes GOTS, GOLS, and Greenguard Gold certifications.
- The Happsy is made in the USA. The majority of the organic materials used are also from the USA.
- Happsy offers a 10-year warranty on their mattress.
- The Happsy mattress also comes with a 120-night trail.
- Some buyers have noted the bed is poorly packaged when shipped. It arrives in multiple boxes, unlike many other bed-in-a-box mattresses.
- The Happsy mattress only comes in one firmness option.
The Bottom Line:
When the Happsy is compared to other organic mattresses, the value becomes apparent. It is competitively priced but provides the same quality of sleep as some of the more expensive options. (In fact, it even comes with financing options!) Given the competitive pricing and quality of sleep, the Happsy is your best organic mattress when it comes to total value.
Zenhaven: Best Organic Latex Mattress
It is made entirely of four layers of Talalay latex. Talalay latex is considered to be more resilient and durable than Dunlop. A breathable New Zealand wool provides a fireproof barrier while an organic cotton cover encases it.
The Zenhaven mattress is flippable. This provides you with a medium firm, and firm, option. As with the Latex for Less, one level is built out of a higher density latex. The second is less dense, making it less firm. Two other support Talalay latex helps these layers give you the best night’s sleep.
Unlike some of the other mattresses on this list, the Zenhaven does not need any special assembly once delivered.
- The Zenhaven is manufactured in the USA.
- This mattress comes with a 120-night trial.
- Zenhaven has a 20-year warranty.
- The Zenhaven is OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified.
- The Zenhaven is one of the most expensive mattresses on this list. Financing is available, but expect a hefty price tag.
The Bottom Line:
What to Look For In the Best Organic Mattress
There are several things you should look at when searching for the best organic mattress. Below, we list the features we consider vital to an organic mattress purchase.
Certifications for the Best Organic Mattresses
When it comes to being certified organic, there are several labels that prove this. The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) are your top two labels. These labels indicate the mattress is made of at least 95% certified organic materials. It also outright prohibits the use of certain materials for the remaining 5%. This includes chemical flame-retardants and polyurethane.
The next best label is the OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certification. This label does not promise consumers organic fibers. However, it does limit the use of harmful chemicals. This includes things like formaldehyde and other “volatile organic compounds (VOCs)”.
For foam mattresses, you want to look for a CertiPUR-US label. (Note that GOLS standards actually ban foam all together!) CertiPUR-US bans certain chemicals used to produce foams. They also require specific testing to ensure some chemicals are not used.
Greenguard and Greenguard Gold require beds to pass certain emissions testing. The Greenguard Gold label comes with more stringent standards.
Finally, the Organic Content Standard 100 label refers only to the use of organic materials. It does not guarantee your mattress is free of chemicals, VOCs, dyes, or other non-organic items.
Firmness is typically measured on a scale of 1 to 10, with higher numbers being firmer. For stomach sleepers, a firmness between 5 and 7 is considered most comfortable. Side sleepers, on the other hand, typically prefer a softer mattress, rated between 3 and 6. Back sleepers enjoy a large range of firmness, often from 4 to 8. For those who are heavier, firm mattresses tend to provide better support.
Coils, covers, latex and other materials are important. Coils typically depend on gauge size. The smaller the number, the firmer the coil will be. Coils help your mattress breath. They allow for ample ventilation so you can sleep cool regardless of the room temperature. Often, wool is used as a fireproofing barrier in an organic mattress. It also helps to wick away moisture to keep you dry. Talalay or Dunlop latex and organic.
While Talalay is often considered to be of higher quality, a well-made Dunlop bed can be just as durable and save you on cost. Latex is temperature neutral. (Most of the certifications above make the use of foam rare in an organic mattress. If you seem “foam” in an organic mattress description, be leery!)
Trials vary. For most of the online manufacturer’s, however, you should expect to have at least 100-nights to test your mattress. You do need to check the terms of your trial period, as some manufacturers are strict.
Warranties will also vary. On average, a mattress comes with a 10-year warranty. However, regardless of the duration of your warranty, you will want to view the terms. Like the trial, some warranties are limited in scope. Others will have strict clauses that can invalidate your claim. (For example, some will not abide by the warranty if the mattress has a stain on it.)
Your Personal Best Organic Mattress
Above, we listed our favorite best organic mattresses. We also talked about what we based these decisions on. When it comes to buying a mattress, the choice is personal.
Organic mattresses, in general, are more expensive than a regular mattress. However, if you are looking for an eco-friendly option, you cannot go wrong with an organic mattress.