Summary: This unbiased, in-depth review features the best toddler mattresses our team of Sleeping Ninjas could find. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
It’s finally time for your once tiny baby to move out of their crib and into their “big kid bed.” Perhaps they’re finally honing their ninjas move and have figured out how to escape their crib at night, leaving them vulnerable to a few good bumps on the head, or maybe their big brother or sister has a big kid bed, and your little one is starting to get a little jealous!
Either way, no matter how badly you’d love to keep them little, the time rolls around where a new toddler bed is a necessity.
Sometimes, the mattress you’ve been using in your child’s crib will transition easily to a toddler bed. But, of course, sometimes it just doesn’t work out that way. Usually, mattresses designed for cribs are pretty firm to help ensure that a newborn can sleep safely without sinking down into a soft mattress. Frequently, the firm crib mattress isn’t very comfortable as your child grows.
Here, we’ve compiled a list of what we think are some of the options out there, and we’ve even sorted them into convenient “best of” categories to make your search for the best toddler mattress easier.
Best Toddler Mattress Index
Here’s a quick list of the best mattress for toddlers reviewed below:
- Naturepedic Organic Cotton Mattress
- Kolcraft Pure Sleep
- Signature Sleep 2-in-1 Mattress
- Milliard Dual Comfort System
- Moonlight Slumber Mattress Combo
- My First Toddler Mattress
- Graco Premium Foam
The Best Toddler Mattress by Category
What are the best toddler mattresses? Let’s take a look…
Naturepedic Organic Cotton 2-in-1 – Best Organic Option
The Naturepedic Organic Cotton is another 2-in-1 option that will transition with your child from their crib to their toddler bed. One side is firm with a polyethylene surface, making it waterproof and easy to clean. The other side features a quilted organic cotton fabric that gives it a softer, more luxurious feel.
All Naturepedic products meet the GREENGUARD Gold Certification standard, are certified organic, and meet all flammability standards without the use of harsh chemicals. Their mattresses are also made without any potential allergens such as soy or latex to help ensure the safest sleep possible for your child.
The Naturepedic 2-in-1 is filled with 100% certified organic cotton that is grown and harvested in the US and purchased directly from certified USDA sources.
- Naturepedic products come with a limited lifetime warranty
- Naturepedic mattresses are made in the US with locally sourced, certified materials
- The waterproof side is naturally dust-mite and bedbug resistant
- The plusher “toddler” side of the mattress is not waterproof or dust-mite and bedbug resistant and requires a waterproof cover purchased separately
- The softer toddler side can potentially indent if your child sleeps in the same position nightly
- Because Naturepedic products are all organic and made in the USA, they are a bit pricier than other options
The Naturepedic 2-in-1 is certified all-natural and organic without any harsh chemical additives, but it will come at a cost and requires a separate purchase to waterproof the toddler side.
Kolcraft Pure Sleep – Best Coil Spring Option
The Kolcraft Pure Sleep is constructed with 150 heavy gauge steel coils to provide optimal firmness and support. Due to the heavy-duty construction, the Kolcraft is rated for up to 60 pounds, which is a bit more than the average toddler mattress.
This best toddler mattress features a hypoallergenic, reinforced, waterproof cover that wipes up quickly and easily with a cloth, as well as lock-stitch, waterproof binding to ensure that absolutely no liquid can seep into the mattress. This helps to guarantee that your toddler’s mattress will no only be odor free, but as sanitary as possible, by avoiding any mold, mildew, or bacteria growth.
The Kolcraft Pure Sleep meets all phthalate and flammability requirements without the use of harsh chemical additives and the entire mattress is GREENGUARD Gold Certified for air quality and emission standards.
- Kolcraft offers a 10-year warranty on their materials and workmanship
- The steel coils are heat-tempered, to ensure quick bounce back
- The bottom of the mattress features air pockets to allow for air flow, providing breathability and temperature control
- No metal vents or clips are used to avoid any risks of choking hazards
- The waterproof surface is a bit loud and “crinkly”
- The innerspring construction makes it a very firm mattress, with little cushioning
- The springs can become very prominent after prolonged use
The Kolcraft Pure Sleep features ideal water resistance and easy cleanup. However, it is a very firm mattress. So, if you’re looking for optimal plushness and comfort, it may not be your best option.
Signature Sleep 2-in1 – Best Toddler Mattress In Durability And Water Resistance
The Signature Sleep 2-in-1 is an encased coil and gel-memory foam combination mattress that provides an extra firm side for the safety of infants, and a lusher, more comfortable side for an easy and smooth transition to a toddler bed.
The toddler side of the Signature Sleep mattress is constructed with 200 encased coils and covered with a thick, plush layer of gel memory foam to provide your toddler with a comfortable, cradling sleep surface while remaining firm and sturdy enough to help reduce the risk of suffocation and injury and ensure optimal safety.
The gel memory foam also ensures airflow and breathability to help keep your little one cool and comfortable through the entire night.
The Signature Sleep is one of the lighter weight memory foam options, weighing in at around 12 pounds. The entire mattress is enclosed in a water-resistant, PVC-free surface that makes the middle of the night cleanups hassle-free and comes with a polyester and Tencel fabric cover to lend a small extra touch of comfort.
- The Signature Sleep 2-in-1 meets all flammability standards and regulations without the addition of harsh toxins or chemicals
- All of the foam used in the construction of the mattress is Certi-PUR Certified Foam
- The clever combination of a sturdy innerspring construction with plush, comfortable memory foam provides your toddler with optimal comfort and pressure relief, without skimping on firm support
- They recommend you turn the Signature Sleep every 2-3 months to avoid material breakdown
- The included cover does contain polyester which can be irritating for children with sensitive skin
- The Signature Sleep will not withstand jumping or repetitive movements and will result in unsafe indentations
The Signature Sleep 2-in-1 is a transitional mattress that will provide your toddler with the optimal level of both comfort and support, but it won’t stand-up to jumping toddlers.
Milliard Dual Comfort System – Best 2-in-1 Option
If you’re on the lookout for a mattress that will transition from your child’s crib to their new toddler bed, then the Milliard Dual Comfort System is a fantastic option. While most standard crib mattresses only have one, uniform firmness and construction, the Milliard is double sided to meet the specific needs of infants and toddlers without needing a new mattress.
While one side features a firm, supportive layer for your newborn, simply flip the mattress over for a softer, cradling memory foam layer that will provide optimal comfort and posture support for your toddler.
The Milliard fits standard toddler bed dimensions and comes with a waterproof, washable, breathable, 100% cotton covering to make cleanups convenient and easy.
- Meets all safety certifications and regulations
- The polyurethane foam used in the Milliard mattress is CertiPUR-US certified
- One of the lightest options to feature memory foam, weighing in at just under 11 pounds
- Not only is the cover waterproof, and easily spot cleaned with a cloth, it is also removable a machine washable for deep cleaning
- The sides are not labeled, so determining which side is for infants and which is for toddlers can be a bit troublesome
- The zipper on the removable cover doesn’t withstand multiple machine washes very well
- Some consumers noticed a lingering “off-gassing” smell upon opening the packaging
If you’re searching for a mattress will lend firm support to your newborn, and transition to a comfortable surface for your toddler, all without having to make any extra purchases, then the Milliard Dual Comfort is a great option.
Moonlight Slumber Baby Bluebird Toddler Mattress Combo – Best For Temperature Control
The Moonlight Slumber Mattress Combo features an extra firm side for infant use and a softer, more comfortable side for toddlers.
The toddler side is equipped with a cool gel memory foam and a woven nest core that allows for optimal airflow and temperature control, to provide a safe level of breathability and help keep your toddler cool and comfortable.
Both sides of the Baby Bluebird mattress are infused with appropriate amounts of plant oils to provide the correct level of firmness without the use of springs or metal hardware.
The entire mattress is encased in an antimicrobial cover that is water, stain, and odor resistant to help guarantee that your child is sleeping on one of the safest and most sanitary mattresses available. Not to mention, making cleanups simple and quick.
It also features a removable cotton cover that is machine safe, and the surface of the mattress itself is still safe for use while the cover is washed.
- The Moonlight Slumber features an edge support system to ensure that your toddler can comfortably sleep on any part of the mattress without sagging
- The seams of the mattress are ultrasonically welded to guarantee that no liquids can seep or leak into the core of the mattress
- The memory foam toddler side cradles to your child’s body to provide pressure relief and a longer, more comfortable night’s sleep
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified, Certi-PUR US Certified Foam, and an innovative Woven Fire Barrier to meet all flammability standards without spray on chemicals
- Lifetime warranty and manufacturer defects
- Due to the lack of an innerspring system, the Moonlight Slumber is softer than their coil construction counterparts
- The mattress is infused with soybean and castor oils, so it could pose a potential allergen risk for some children
The Moonlight Slumber offers gentle support and plush comfort for your toddler while remaining safe and breathable for safety and temperature control.
My First Toddler Mattress – Best Memory Foam Option for Toddlers
My First Toddler Mattress is another option that transitions with your child with little more than a flip. The infant side features a high-density foam construction, while the toddler side is fitted with a layer of supportive, comfortable memory foam.
The waterproof cover is removable and washable, making spot-cleaning quick and easy, and still allowing for regular machine deep cleaning. The mattress itself is anti-microbial, mite-proof, and lead and phthalate-free, making it a safe, toddler-friendly sleeping surface.
This mattress is also constructed with square corners that ensure a snug fit into your toddler’s bed frame, helping to avoid any gaps or looseness, and greatly lowering the risk of entrapment, suffocation, or injury.
- My First Toddler Mattress is Certi-PUR US certified for emission and indoor air quality
- The mattress is exceptionally lightweight, especially for a memory foam option, weighing in at only 10.36 pounds
- Their memory foam is specifically constructed to provide optimal weight distribution to provide your toddler with the most comfortable sleep possible
- Does require a bit of airing out to get rid of the “new mattress” smell
- The mattress requires up to a full 72-hours to expand
- My First Toddler Mattress is a bit thinner than other options
The My First Toddler Mattress is a plush, comfortable memory foam option that will provide your child will comfort and stability without the use of metal hardware.
Graco Premium Foam – Best Budget-Friendly Option
The Graco Premium Foam is the biggest bang for the smallest buck. The mattress is made of high-quality, breathable foam to allow for a comfortable and safe sleep for your toddler.
The light foam construction allows for proficient air flow, safeguarding against suffocation risks and helping to regulate the temperature of the mattress and keep your child cool through the night.
The Graco Foam is water-resistant and features built-in anti-microbial and anti-static materials. It is also free of any phthalates or lead.
- The Graco Premium comes with a 6-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
- The mattress is covered in a soft, comfortable fabric
- The cover and mattress clean up easily and quickly for hassle-free nights
- The mattress does require up to 72-hours to expand fully
- To ensure that the Graco Premium fully expands, it is recommended that you “fluff” the end of the mattress that was most compressed during packaging
- Due to the vacuum-sealed packaging, the mattress does have some “off-gassing” that can require up to 48-hours of ventilation
The Graco Premium is a basic toddler mattress that does it’s intended job proficiently, without breaking the bank.
Important Things To Consider When Shopping For the Best Toddler Mattress
Like with any large purchases in life, there are always a few things you’ll want to consider before you settle on a final purchase for your child’s best toddler mattress.
Toddlers can be rough! They tend to jump on their bed, toss around in their sleep, and host tea parties or build forts in their bed. They tend to love allowing the family dog to join them for the night, or occasionally even stack every toy they own on their bed for reasons parents will just never understand.
That means your toddler’s mattress needs to be durable.
It’s extremely important, and ultimately cost-saving, to ensure that whatever mattress you choose to purchase will stand up to all of the wear and tear that a rowdy toddler will subject it to.
After all, it’s far more cost-effective in the end to only have to purchase one mattress for the duration of your child’s toddler years, than to end up purchasing a new one twice a year because they’re just not holding up to all that your little one has to offer.
Toddler beds aren’t meant to last forever, simply because your child isn’t meant to sleep in them forever. At most, your toddler will only spend 3-4 years in their toddler bed before to graduate to a twin or full-size bed. So, it’s not always necessary for a toddler mattress to come equipped with a lifetime warranty. However, it does say something about the quality of the mattress.
Companies will stand behind their products if they believe in them. They tend to offer outstanding warranties on their merchandise because they don’t believe that they’ll be needed. They trust their product to do exactly as it’s intended, and they’re more than happy to guarantee that in some way or another.
A general rule of thumb is, if the company doesn’t warranty their products, there is usually a reason.
So, while it’s definitely not a necessity for your best toddler mattress to come with any sort of warranty, it’s not a bad idea to steer towards the companies that offer at least a money back guarantee or a couple of years of warranty, if for no other reason than a little extra piece of mind that you purchased something of good quality.
Toddler-hood is the season of spilled sippy cups and potty training. Which correlates to lots of messes on their mattress. Whether it’s a cup of milk that they fell asleep with, a leaky diaper, or a downright potty-training accident, you’re going to want that mattress to be waterproof.
Not only does it lead to far less hassle during cleanups (because no one wants to have to run the laundry at 2 AM before your kid can go back to sleep), but it keeps your kiddo safer, as well.
The inside of a mattress is an absolute breeding ground for all sorts of nasty molds, mildews, and bacteria. And it’s pretty much impossible to get that out of the core of a mattress once it’s there.
Your little one will be laying their head on that mattress every night. If their mattress is full of mold and bacteria, then they’re left breathing it in during their sleep, which can lead to some pretty severe allergies, asthma, and even illness.
Not all the best mattresses for toddlers are made the same. There are different dimensions and sizes, and sometimes the mattress that fits in your child’s crib simply won’t fit in their new toddler bed.
It’s very important to make sure that whatever mattress you choose to use on your child’s new toddler bed fits in the frame snugly. If the mattress is too small for the bed frame or has too much wiggle room, then it can leave gaps between the edge of the mattress and the frame that can pose a risk for entrapment and suffocation.
When shopping for a new toddler mattress, make sure that the mattress fits snuggly into the bed frame with no room to slide around.
What To Look Out For When Shopping For the Best Toddler Mattress
In the same way that there are certain things you’ll want to look for in the best mattress for toddler, there are certain things you’ll want to watch out for, as well.
Don’t Fall For Pretty Covers
Oftentimes toddler mattresses are marketed with a pretty covering or printed with kid-friendly characters and designs on the actual surface of the mattress. This is done for the sole purpose of making them more appealing to little eyes.
While it’s certainly okay to get your child the dinosaur or princess mattress, just make sure that you’re not basing your decision exclusively on the pretty pattern or fun design.
Most commonly, you put a fitted sheet over a toddler mattress the same way that you do any mattress. So, whatever pattern, design, or picture that’s featured on your child’s mattress will most likely end up covered anyway.
And you certainly don’t want to accidentally end up skimping on quality just for the sake of a dinosaur picture. Not to mention, the printed mattresses generally come with a heftier price tag for no other reason than the “pretty” factor.
Avoid Buying Used
While it may be tempting to pick up a used toddler mattress to help save on the cost, it’s just not advisable.
There’s simply no way to guarantee how well a used mattress has been taken care of, or how clean the inside of the mattress really is. A mattress that has been jumped and wrestled on by a toddler for the past three years is liable to worn and uneven, making it an unsafe sleeping surface for your child.
Also, if the mattress has rips or tears, then the waterproof feature has been compromised, and you could be exposing your kiddo to tons of harmful mold and bacteria.
Don’t Buy A Mattress That’s Too Soft
Mattresses designed specifically for cribs are made to be extremely firm without any plush cushioning to avoid injury and lessen the risk of suffocation while the baby is still unable to control their own head.
So, it’s certainly not a bad idea to upgrade your toddler to a softer, more comfortable mattress now that they’re getting older and larger. The increase in their body size and weight can make an extra-firm crib mattress a pretty uncomfortable sleeping surface. But make sure that you’re not getting it too soft.
Children are moved to toddler beds as young as one year of age. At that point in life, they still haven’t honed their fine motor skills are still at risk for injury or suffocation if their mattress is too soft and plush.
So, consider getting a mattress that will lend a little more comfort, just make sure that it’s not so soft that it allows them to sink into the mattress while they sleep.
Watch Out For Potential Allergens
Toddler beds are no longer the cardboard and cheap foam getups that they used to be. There are tons of options available on the market today including latex cores, soybean foam, and coconut husk filling.
All of these can be wonderful, safe, and comfortable options. But, many allergies tend to manifest in the toddler years. So, it’s advisable to keep an eye out for any reactions your child may have, research the materials your toddler’s mattress is made of, and avoid those with potential allergens if your child is prone to allergies or asthma.
Are There Different Types of Best Toddler Mattresses?
As mentioned above, toddler mattresses aren’t what they used to be. Years ago, there was a basic foam option and that was about it. Nowadays there are various options available in the best toddler mattresses the same way adults have lots of different construction options to choose from.
Innerspring mattresses are constructed of a steel spring support system. The shape, size, and design, as well as the number of coils used, can vary from one product to another. The support system is then covered by some form of padding or upholstery – usually some sort of fibrous material, various foams, or even a layer of small springs. Innerspring is generally the firmest and most sturdy option.
There are several different foam options available on the market is toddler mattresses these days. Everything from organic latex foam to polyurethane foam is used. They’re generally lighter than their counterparts and offer a higher level of breathability.
Many of the best toddler mattresses are made with the same memory foam that adult mattresses are made with. They offer a high level of comfort, with a swaddling feel, cradling the body and relieving pressure points during sleep. They are probably the most comfortable option, but generally less breathable, heavier, and far softer than the innerspring option.
Which is the Best Mattress for Toddlers?
Ultimately, you know what’s best for your toddler. Whether you’re looking for optimal comfort, safety, or an all-organic option, we’ve reviewed a bit of everything to help you make the smartest, and well-informed decision for your toddler’s new mattress.