This unbiased, in-depth review features the best wool mattress toppers our team of Sleeping Ninjas could find on the market. Disclosure: Sleeping Ninjas has an affiliate relationship with some companies where we get a small percentage of sales if you click over from our site.
Sometimes our mattresses end up leaving a lot to be desired. Whether it’s a new mattress that simply isn’t as comfortable as you’d hoped or an older one that’s starting to wear and needs some rejuvenation, it can definitely be troubling when your mattress isn’t providing you with good night’s sleep.
We all certainly know that buying a whole new mattress can be expensive, not to mention a hassle. A high-quality mattress topper can give your existing mattress a makeover without forking over too much time or cash.
There are tons of different mattress toppers available on the market these days, each with different materials, qualities, and benefits. A wool mattress topper is designed to add an extra layer of plush comfort to your mattress and works to keep you cool and dry in an all-natural way.
To help you make the best decision when you find yourself shopping for a new mattress topper, we’ve compiled a comprehensive review of what we believe are the 6 best wool mattress toppers on the market.
Best Wool Mattress Toppers
- Holy Lamb Organics Wool Deep Sleep Mattress Topper
- Sleep & Beyond Washable Wool Mattress Topper
- Snuggle Fleece Elite Wool Mattress Pad
- Perfect Fit Cool Wool Reversible Mattress Topper
- Bio Sleep Concept Organic 3-Inch Mattress Topper
- Organic Textiles Wool Mattress Pad
Holy Lamb Organics Wool Deep Sleep Mattress Topper
Up first in our search for the best wool mattress topper is the Holy Lamb Organics Deep Sleep topper. This option was sure to make the list as it’s not only a high-quality wool topper, the entire thing is completely organic, as well! This allows you to add an all-natural surface to your existing mattress without the cost involved with a brand-new organic mattress.
The Holy Lamb Organics topper is filled with premium Eco-Wool batting to ensure a super plush, extra comfortable surface. The fluffy filling lends a cloud-like surface that allows you to gently sink into the surface, enveloping you in coziness.
The high-quality, tufted wool filling is then encased in all-organic cotton fabric. This covering works with the natural wool to allow for adequate airflow and breathability to keep you cool and dry. It also provides a touchable soft feel against the skin.
- Holy Lamb Organics offers free shipping
- The wool batting has been designed to lie flat against a mattress without any shifting or bunching
- Each Holy Lamb Organics topper is hand-crafted in Oakville, WA
- Reviewers rave that this topper adds a luxurious level of comfort and makes good on its promise to remain cool
- Holy Lamb Organics toppers are packed and shipped in environmentally friendly packaging
- The Holy Lamb Organics topper is too large to fit in machines, therefore it’s spot-clean only
- It seems that there is a return policy in place, but we did note that there is a 10% restocking fee for all returns
- Some users have complained that, after prolonged use, the topper does become a bit lumpy and requires some fluffing
- Twin – $395
- Twin XL – $410
- Full – $485
- Queen – $545
- King – $657.97
- California King – $645
If you’re searching for the best wool mattress topper that’s also environmentally friendly and all-organic, then the Holy Labs Organics mattress topper is perfect for you. Customers claim that it adds the perfect level of loft and luxurious comfort and are happy to see that it’s packed and shipped in environmentally friendly materials.
Sleep & Beyond Washable Wool Mattress Topper
Up next in our review of the best wool mattress toppers is the Sleep & Beyond Washable Wool Mattress Topper. This option is filled with Shropshire wool and made specifically in mind for those with asthma and allergy issues.
The Sleep & Beyond topper provides rejuvenation to nearly any mattress and allows for the comfort and plushness of materials like down and polyester without the potential allergens or triggers. Sleep & Beyond consider themselves a healthier alternative to most conventional mattress toppers as their product is dust mite, bed bug, mold, and mildew resistant.
The Sleep & Beyond topper is machine washable and the use of Shropshire wool means the product doesn’t have to be washed as frequently as other wools or materials – reducing the overall wear and tear. This topper is also encased in an unbleached natural cotton percale fabric.
- The Sleep & Beyond wool mattress topper is safe to wash and the Shropshire wool material reduces the frequency of necessary washings
- The wool and cotton combination effectively and naturally wicks away heat and moisture
- This topper is a healthier alternative to other conventional options – making it safer for those with allergies or asthma
- The Sleep & Beyond topper features elastic straps to help hold the product in place on your mattress
- The Sleep & Beyond company offers a 5-year limited warranty
- While the entire mattress topper is washable, Sleep & Beyond also recommends the addition of a washable cover
- Some consumers have complained that the topper created pressure points for them
- Some reviewers have noticed an odor upon opening the packaging that can take a few days to dissipate
- Twin – $229
- Twin XL – $239
- Full – $248.95
- Queen – $279
- King – $299
- California King – $299
We certainly feel that the Sleep & Beyond is a fantastic option when searching for the best wool mattress topper. This product promises to keep you cool, dry, and comfortable and the topper is safe to be machine washed and dried.
Snuggle Fleece Elite Wool Mattress Pad
It certainly seems that the Snuggle Fleece Elite Wool Mattress Pad may just be the coolest option on our list of the best wool mattress toppers. The Elite topper is made with 65 oz of high-quality wool per linear yard with a 1.5” pile height, lending it super plush and cozy.
Snuggle Fleece has utilized the very highest quality of wool to allow the topper to act as a natural thermostat in a way. The wool is designed to regulate your body temperature in real time no matter the season. The Snuggle Fleece Elite topper is ultra-breathable and far superior to other materials such as down or synthetic fibers.
It’s made with virgin American wool and a 100% cotton backing. The topper is machine washable and dryer-safe and perfectly fits mattresses up to 18” in height.
- Reviewers are absolutely stunned with how cool and dry the Snuggle Fleece Elite topper keeps them
- The topper stays perfectly in place on high or low-profile mattresses
- Several customers say that the topper relieves pressure, stiffness, and pain
- A lot of reviewers have claimed that they have a high-brand mattress such as Tempurpedic or Serta that they’re not satisfied with and the Elite topper has completely reinvented their existing mattress
- Some users have noticed an odor upon opening the packaging that takes a few days to air out
- Some customers claim that the topper becomes lumpy after machine washing
- The topper does also shed and/or pill a bit with the first few washes
- Twin – $176
- Twin XL – $198
- Full – $238
- Queen – $284
- King – $292
- California King – $368
If you’re looking for the best wool mattress topper that’s guaranteed to keep you completely cool and dry, then the Snuggle Fleece Elite is the topper for you. Customers rave that the topper adds luxury and comfort while remaining naturally cool.
Perfect Fit Cool Wool Reversible Mattress Topper
The next option up on our search for the best wool mattress topper is the Perfect Fit Cool Wool Reversible Mattress Topper. The Perfect Fit topper features 100% 300Gsm Australian washable wool on one side and 100% cotton on the other. It’s filled with 6 oz per square yard of down alternative material and features a 10-inch framed diamond quilted pattern.
The Perfect Fit topper is designed to remain completely cool and wick away sweat and moisture to keep you dry throughout the night. You can use the topper with the wool side facing up for a conforming, breathable, dry, and cozy surface. If you flip the topper over the cotton side still offers the loft of the wool as well as the sweat and moisture wicking properties but allows for a smoother and cooler surface.
The Perfect Fit is also designed with four-side cotton binding and anchor bands on all four corners to ensure a proper tight fit to your existing mattress. This helps ensure that the topper never shifts, moves, or bunches.
- The Perfect Fit topper is machine washable and dryer safe
- The reversible aspect of this topper allows you to adjust the feel of the topper to your liking – the wool side providing a dry warmth for colder seasons and the cotton side allowing for a smoother, cooler feel
- The Perfect Fit topper does not seem to emit any noticeable odors
- Only the outside coverings of the topper are wool/cotton – the filling is made from a polyester down alternative
- This topper is fairly thin and won’t offer much improvement for an existing mattress that is sagging or worn
- If you’re using this topper on a memory foam mattress it can reduce some of the pressure relieving properties of the memory foam material
- Full – $87.99
- Queen – $103.99
- King – $95.60
If you’re looking for the benefits of wool with a smaller price tag and you’re willing to settle for a polyester filling, then the Perfect Fit topper may be a good option to consider when you’re searching for the best wool mattress topper. While the entire product isn’t 100% wool, the reversible surfaces of the topper are equipped with 100% wool and cotton for the same feeling against the skin.
Bio Sleep Concept Organic 3-Inch Mattress Topper
Here, we’ll cover the Bio Sleep Concept Organic 3-Inch Mattress Topper in our search for the best wool mattress topper. This topper features a chemical-free wool filling made with all-natural and organic components. It’s designed to provide plush luxury and a pillow top feel with the added safety and benefits of wool.
The outside covering is made from 100% all-natural cotton that’s soft and plush to the touch and works with the wool filling to keep you cool, dry, and comfortable. This topper is specifically designed to revitalize and rejuvenate nearly any existing mattress.
- The Bio Sleep topper is made entirely in the USA
- The Bio Sleep company offers a 1-year limited manufacturers warranty
- All components of this product are completely natural and chemical free
- The natural wool used in this topper is dust mite, mold, and mildew resistant
- The shipping is an additional charge for this product
- Bio Sleep recommends that you air and sun the topper seasonally for optimal performance
- Several consumers have noticed that the topper tends to bunch up after a few nights of use
- Full – $376
- Queen – $417
- King – $616
- California King – $559.60
When it comes to finding the best wool mattress topper, the Bio Sleep wool topper is a pretty good option. This topper features all-natural materials that are completely chemical free and offers a pillow-like feel with the added moisture wicking and cooling properties of natural wool and cotton.
Organic Textiles Wool Mattress Pad
Last on our list of the best wool mattress toppers is the Organic Textiles Wool Mattress Pad. This topper features a filling of 100% Australian wool, with 13 oz per square yard. Encasing the high-grade wool is a 100% organic cotton covering.
The wool filling is designed to provide optimal loft and a pillow-like feel. It wicks away sweat and moisture quickly and efficiently while still maintaining the plush, warm feel of wool. The cotton covering works with the wool filling to draw away heat and sweat and lends a smooth, soft feel to the touch.
The Organic Textiles topper is breathable, hypoallergenic, and features strong elastic bands in all four corners that keep the topper firmly in place against your mattress.
- All materials used in the construction of this topper are chemical-free
- The materials are designed to wick away sweat and heat and remain neutral in temperature
- The topper is machine washable and can be delicately machine dried or line dried
- The elastic bands allow the topper to fit mattresses up to 18” in height
- While the topper is said to be washable, customers have noticed that it clumps up and shrinks with machine washing/drying
- Several users have noticed an unpleasant musty smell after washing
- While the wool in this topper is designed to keep you dry, it is also designed with a warm, cozy feel – so some feel that it does sleep a bit too hot
- Twin – $139.99
- Twin XL – $149.99
- Full – $169.99
- Queen – $189.99
- King – $199.99
- California King – $199.99
As far as searching for the best wool mattress topper goes, we honestly weren’t all that impressed with the Organic Textiles Wool Mattress Pad. Customers are highly unsatisfied with the temperature control of the topper and while they claim that the product is washable, nearly every review has noted that washing the topper ruins it completely.
What To Keep In Mind When Searching For The Best Wool Mattress Topper
- Look for high-quality wool materials – wool is a fantastic material when it comes to keeping you cool, dry, and comfortable. But it the wool is cheap or low quality it can be a bit itchy
- Do your research on the cleaning and care required for each topper. Some are completely washable while some won’t fit in machines and some will bunch from being washed/dried
- Familiarize yourself with your personal preferences and sensitivities/allergies. Wool provides a softer feel but not much support and some people that are prone to allergies or asthma don’t always take well to the material
What’s The Best Wool Mattress Topper Of Them All?
We certainly covered a lot of great toppers in this comprehensive review. And, of course, everyone’s needs and desires are different. What works best for one person may not be the best fit for you.
But, ultimately, we think that the best wool mattress topper featured in this review is the Snuggle Fleece Elite Wool Mattress Topper. The Snuggle Fleece topper offers the best of everything. It’s by far the coolest topper on our list. It’s designed to completely reinvent any mattress into a comfortable, luxurious surface and customers don’t seem to have a trouble in the world by washing the topper.
We believe it will certainly keep you cool, dry, comfortable, and clean night after night.